Sent Item To Wrong Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'd decline it on paypal, insist on a cheque to avoid the risk of reverse charges...hopefully get a cheque. Then once you have that £60 safe, and if its not too expensive to get to his place (ie £10 or under in petrol) i'd go there to try and get more from him, politely at first then asking if you can see his computer because i'd bet anything hes got it in his pc right now, the one hes emailing you from :p and what excuses would he have to decline if your asking politely? go at a weekend or a weekday evening too when hes more likely to have family / wife / kids around, as hes much less likely to be awkward and want to get into a huge argument on his doorstep.

Last edited:
Soldato
challengedavid said:
he will proberbly go to the boot sale tommorrow, and find the same bloke selling it for £60 then buy it back and send it to you!
the only thing if you were to be sent the card, will it still work?

Why would someone who buys and sells things on ebay be getting a mate to sell a reasonably high end graphics card on a car boot sale? total load of rubbish. It'll be sat in his pc right now!

Soldato
Serj said:
Mr Green is on the ropes, push for the full amount.

Yup, first he was Mr. Cool 'speak to my solicitor' and now he's sent a load of emails in a short period of time quickly backing down from his pedestal now he sees you are serious.

His back is against the wall.

Decline the £60. You want the full value or the item back.

Associate
challengedavid said:
he will proberbly go to the boot sale tommorrow, and find the same bloke selling it for £60 then buy it back and send it to you!
the only thing if you were to be sent the card, will it still work?
exactly what I thought.

Soldato
Vanilla said:
Yup, first he was Mr. Cool 'speak to my solicitor' and now he's sent a load of emails in a short period of time quickly backing down from his pedestal now he sees you are serious.

His back is against the wall.

Decline the £60. You want the full value or the item back.

Never place yourself above compromise when the mistake was yours to begin with, imo

Caporegime
silversurfer said:
Never place yourself above compromise when the mistake was yours to begin with, imo

Yeah, I mean come on Hyper if you're going to send something wrong at least make sure the recipient isn't an opportunist first. :rolleyes:

In 99% of cases this thread would have been a non-starter.

Soldato
Where did this £60 figure come from?

If he wanted to keep the item you should request what you sold it for, £120.

Soldato
Hyper said:
I have sent him an e-mail explaining he either stops lying and sends the card onto the original buyer or refunds me the £60 he suposidly sold it on for (of course he is lying because he would have stuck it back on the auction site since he is a frequent user on there).

Will see what I get back, well this has spoiled my day :mad:

Is there anyway I can get his phone number?

Hmm, I think this is your fatal mistake. If he has an email from you requesting £60 and he has now sent it via Paypal. I think if it ever got to SMC you would be laughed out of court. Of course, he might not be a smart cookie and this email where you requested £60 might never show up. But if it did he would have the upper hand and possibly would be able to claim all his expenses from you. Tricky decision to make.

Associate
Hyper said:
Well he has sent me yet another reply this morning even though I didnt reply back to him, he is getting desperate in my eyes.

The e-mail he attached was one of the first ones I sent to him before he came with all his lies when I requested the £60 back, now that it has gone on so long and he denied me of it at first I am not willing to accept that ammount. He sent me £60 via paypal without asking me first, should I refund it and explain I either want the full ammount as stated in the letter or a return of the card.

My first piece of advice is to think long and hard about how far you are really willing to go. God forbid, but if you lose the case, you will regret rejecting this opportunity. Here is your chance to cut your losses and to move on. On the other hand, you are effectively losing 50% of the value of your graphics card simply due to his deceitful and immoral behaviour. He has wasted your time and messed you about. So give it some thought because only you can decide how far you wish to take this. (If I was personally in your shoes, I would not accept anything less than £100. Again, this is my opinion only.)

Choice 1: If you wish to take this further
We now have to consider the law on offer and acceptance. These principles are derived from contract law but I cannot see any reason why they do not apply to settlement offers. Let’s start with a time frame.

1) Your original request of £60 constitutes a settlement offer (post #20).

2) Mr Green rejects your offer, and counter-offers £30 (post #82). This operates to legally bring your original offer to an end (see Hyde v Wrench).

3) You reject this and send him a written letter in which you request the market value of your item - £120 (post #138).

4) He receives letter and sends you an email counter-offering £55 (post #253).

5) You do not reply (therefore you have not accepted anything)

6) He now proceeds to accept your opening settlement offer of £60 (post #20) and refunds you.

Was he allowed to do that? No. Your original settlement offer of £60 was automatically terminated when he counter-offered £30. He cannot accept an offer which no longer exists, nor are you bound by your original offer any longer (again, Hyde v Wrench).

So what should you do now? Send him a polite email explaining the following:

-State that he is not legally allowed to accept an offer which no longer exists. The original offer of £60 was terminated when he counter-offered £30. Once terminated, it cannot subsequently be accepted.
-State that you are returning his £60 due to the fact that no legal agreement has been reached as of yet.
-Restate your own settlement terms: refund of market value or return of item.

Choice 2: If you wish to settle.
Just keep the money.

So think about what you want to do and how far you are willing to go. :)

Soldato
Fantastic thread.

I hope Hyper takes this all the way and accepts £120 or takes the guy to court. If it were me, I would cut my losses and accept the £60. £60 isn't much to me, so I wouldnt fight hard for it, however, the OP is 16 and to him £60 is probably a lot of money, so would be prepared to fight for it.

Hope it works out for you Hyper.

Soldato
Yeah there's some good law there Explicit. I'm a little bit behind you in the legal field, just completed the second year of my degree and applying for training contracts now. I could never go into that much detail on a forum though, i could never be bothered, i suppose that's the difference between a good lawyer and a great lawyer :p ;)

Soldato
Having spent at least half an hour reading this thread, it is of course 100% clear who is in the wrong morally.

However, the result of taking legal action is by no means certain, and while it seems the OP has more confidence in the result than the defendant, it put's us no closer to knowing which way it will go.

As a result of this I would consider the offer of £60 as the starting point to finding a resolution. Yes it is tempting to just say take him to the cleaners when there is (at least morally) a clear case of right and wrong, but the problem is those who are saying this are saying it without being in the situation for themselves, completely risk free. A bit like on TV quiz show's when there is a chance to gamble and every time the audience will shout gamble. Well of course they do because the risk is not theirs to take.

So you have the £60 already, I would certainly be looking to haggle for little more. The figure I would be looking at would be £90, then you are both effectively paying £30 to avoid the hassle of taking it further. Nobody wins big, but nobody loses it all, which will happen one way or the other if taken to the courts. If that's a risk worth taking is for the OP to decide. :)

Associate
True events

Hi all,

Firstly explicit some great advice however I feel you and the rest of the forum have been mis-led on the time span and details of proceedings, actual events as follows - which I am sure the original poster will confirm:

My colleague was notified of this thread last night through Ebay contact seller message - after having reviewed the posts this morning I have the following to add in defiance of my colleague:

Friday - recipient receives card through mail box advising missed delivery

Saturday - recipient collects card and contacts royal mail customer service for stance, advised ‘when an item is delivered to correct recipient they become the legal owner unless there is an invoice stating goods are meant for someone else’ - in this case there was noting in the parcel apart from the original purchase invoice dated 2005 - advised to do with as he wished - also requested a note to be made on the system to be able to refer to RM response if needed.

Sunday - sold at car boot for minimum 60 (reasoning for not using Ebay: this was current price on Ebay at the time, and they appeared to be made redundant by x1950 – available in US for just under 100 pound equivalent brand new, if you review his feedback this is where the majority of his goods come from hence Carboot= quick sale no fees to pay.

Tuesday - email contact from seller - offering only money for postage of item & no incentive as he states -there was a immediate response to this mail confirming above events.

Wednesday - colleague received phone call in work from caller 1, asking what he would do - he offered the 30 which is what he had received from the sale, which was not refused - merely started being accused of lying - which as you can see from the forum appearst to be a common response, accusations continued and as such call terminated after warnings.

Wednesday - caller 2 - 5 minutes after caller 1 - call started out with threats of coming round to see him with a brother etc - caller eventually calmed down and advised he was calling on behalf of caller 1 and we came to agreement that 30 would be accepted and i agreed that if i could get the other 30 back for him i would.

Wednesday - caller 3 - 5 mins after caller 2 - he can't remember much about this call as it was mostly accusations against him and also a threat to visit, call ended on the note similar to I hope you can live with yourself.

Wednesday evening - mail received (this was sent previous evening) - with further accusations - further email received requesting 60 - further email received quoting no longer wanted 30 and no other request made indicated may want to go to court

Wednesday evening - strange unspecific threatening mails commence coming through to recipient on Ebay contact seller referencing graphics card

Wednesday evening - sent email detailing unsolicited goods as suggested by a colleague on the legal team in the company - this was accidentally sent half way through promptly sent by the other half.

Friday - kept part of agreement made on Wednesday and advised of money recovered - mail received not declining the offer but advising 'i don't see why i should accept' no further request made. mail sent requesting a yes or no answer to whether monies from agreement made Wednesday morning were still required - no response received

Saturday - contacted legal support line supplied by work to get standing which resulted in adding additional 5 pounds to meet the individuals request (which at this point as you can see from the above was still valid) - end of communications

Sunday morning - received notification of this thread

The above is a representation of events that have occurred - the mails posted on this site mostly don't contain the full mails which were sent and contain some misleading information. Please reconsider & base your advice on the correct events above.

Other points I’d like to make:

With regards a letter – I am yet to receive this as I’m sure if sent recorded delivery the original poster will be aware of?.

Please advise how you would bring it to small claims - what law is it exactley that the recipient has breeched?

Please also detail how easily this could be dismissed and the details of counter claims that could be brought - i.e. libel, not just with the info on this site but also with info in e-mails/phonecalls recieved.

Does anyone know how old the poster is – I cannot divulge this information however if they are under 18 they cannot pursue small claims action (unsure around whether it could be brought by a representative), & may also breaching Ebay’s terms and conditions/user agreement by having an Ebay account as minimum age is 18.

There are many other points I could make based on the information based in these posts however I won't.

I am fascinated by the amount of interest this has recieved.

p.s. I have done this of my own back as know the recipient very well - he is not aware I have done this - however if he review this post again he will probably be very upset with me!!

Zom

Zom

Associate
bigjohn said:
My colleague was notified of this thread last night through Ebay contact seller message - after having reviewed the posts this morning I have the following to add in defiance of my colleague:
So you are writing on behalf of the guy who was sent the graphics card - fair enough.
bigjohn said:
With regards a letter – I am yet to receive this as I’m sure if sent recorded delivery the original poster will be aware of?.
Why would you be receiving a letter unless you are the bloke who has the graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom