seriously, what do i have to do to get a job!?!?!?!?

Associate
just got another rejection letter this morning :(
been looking for a job in IT support since june and so far have only had 2 interviews and a load of rejections.
i thought it was meant to be easy to get an entry level it support job!
i know i've got no commercial experience, but i've provided support for family and friends for over 7 years, got a comp sci a-level, IT related degree, and a A+ yet still can get nothing :(
very depressing

anyways, thats my rant over with, back to job hunting i guess

Permabanned
jabroni_83 said:
been looking for a job in IT support since june and so far have only had 2 interviews and a load of rejections.
i know i've got no commercial experience, but i've provided support for family and friends for over 7 years, got a comp sci a-level, IT related degree, and a A+ yet still can get nothing :(
very depressing

How many jobs have you applied to?

Soldato
jabroni_83 said:
very depressing

Did you not go for any graduate positions at places like EDS/Logica...??

Associate
jabroni_83 said:
very depressing

Are you sure you're not over-qualified for IT Support?

Man of Honour
Maybe it's nothing to do with your experience or skills, maybe it's something to do with yourself. Are you articulate when spoken, well dressed, hygenic (i.e. don't stink of BO) and confident in the interviews?

You could have all the experience in the world but if you're not right as a person then you'll find it hard to get a job.

Associate
as above, experience is one of the main things employeers tend to look for when going for a Support role.

you could always call or write back to the people that have rejected you and ask them what they based their decsion on and what things they were looking for that you couldn't provide/may have been over qualified for, feedback is your friend.

Associate
OP
lol, i don't think its me (BO etc...)!! my housemates/gf always say i look very smart before going for interview and i think i come across well.
i'm going to ring my latest rejection this morning and get some feedback.

its SO frustrating! i really want to be working and know i can do the jobs i looking at!

is it worth advertising IT support in my local area just to gain some more experience do you think?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The jobs are out there, I just got one after all :p

Been looking for ages but you've got to perfectly fit what the company is looking for usually. Experience is the main thing they want so this is unfortunately the hardest job search of the lot for you. Once you've got 2 years experience in that first company it's easy after that. Don't give up.

Suspended
Everyone's fighting for that first rung on the ladder - keep trying.

I got my break through temping for a company that later took me on - means they can recruit temporary workers without risk, then see you in action, hopefully leading to a job :)

Man of Honour
I've got over 6 years of direct experience, lots of qualifications... Admitedly I'm only doing a half hearted search, and have applied to a dozen or so companies - I'm not finding any success myself. It's a tough world out there - good luck and keep trying, something will come along. Even if it means you've got to take a slightly crappier job, it'll put your foot on the ladder at least.

Suspended
The first impression is your CV & cover letter.

Maybe post your CV here for people to go over it for you and suggest improvements, my CV skills are OK but the g/fs are great. Whoever's CV she goes over they always start getting more interviews.

Second impression is the interview.

Search the net for interview techniques, commonly asked questions, those silly tests they have you do etc. Learn it and practice it. Also, whenever you go out, speak to strangers wherever you go such as public transport or the bank (not the gents toilets though, you know the rules :p ). This will help build confidence when talking to strangers.

You have the skills and the knowledge so im guessing you failing on one of the above, probably your CV and/or cover letter seeing as you have only had two interviews.

I take you have registered yourself and CV on one of the several recruitment websites out there?

Suspended
They might be looking for the right person - the qualifications might be less important. They were for my job, make your CV and covering letter interesting!

Soldato
Freefaller said:
I've got over 6 years of direct experience, lots of qualifications... Admitedly I'm only doing a half hearted search, and have applied to a dozen or so companies - I'm not finding any success myself. It's a tough world out there - good luck and keep trying, something will come along. Even if it means you've got to take a slightly crappier job, it'll put your foot on the ladder at least.

So you are getting out of the marine industry altogether?

Soldato
It is hard getting jobs, to get into the media industry and applied for 50 jobs and had 1 interview, the job wasn't suited to me but the company liked me so gave me another 50 odd contacts and I applied to all of those, had only one interview but thankfully got the job and once you're in it's easy to change jobs.

Man of Honour
leaskovski said:
So you are getting out of the marine industry altogether?

Not necessarily the marine industry, but I'm just a little tired/bored of the constant travelling and putting my life on hold for my job - certainly for the pay I get and the hours and inconvenience I go through! ;) I'm less techy oriented now, I'm less fussed about doing this sort of stuff - I've done it all, from cable monkey to hardware/software programming to project/team leading... I just fancy a change... just a general sense of growing apathy I guess..

Back
Top Bottom