SETI@home News Vol. 111 (23/07/2010)

Associate
Good Advice - Thanks.

Got a well ventalated room - windows on two wall (north & east) which allow for a very good airflow.

I realise that the new rig will more than double the heat output - so any and all advice is very welcomed.

As I have previously stated - I'm currently running 2 x GTX470's @ 1600 shaders (1.050mV) fans/temps @ 65/90 respectivly. This is a recent increase in clock speeds due to me finally realising that moving the PC out from under the desk will allow better airflow. (d'oh - feel free to call me a muppet). I couldn't get anywhere near 1600 shaders & 1.050 mV with it under the desk - temp's sky rocket as soon as it hit full load.

Last edited:
Associate
Ah yes, now I remember...

e3e40da69f.jpg

...ahhh, the Toxic Data Centre........:eek:

Associate
Its on and warm :D

Need another one really :(

Can see my RAC and pending rising up :)

Just the one?????

Well, at least you'll slow down the rate at which I'm pulling away from you, and since I can't get into the Fermi game for a good few months, you will haul me in if you add another. Of course, once the optimised stuff comes out for the Fermi cards, things could still get interesting....;)

Associate
My RAC just doesn't seem as high as it should be with 2 x GTX470's (and Q6600) & 2 x GTS250's (and i5 650)....45,685.38

:( :( :(

Pending credit: 582,963.92

I NEED to upgrade!!!

Associate
Hey Toxic

Do you still have a copy your client_state.xml file, the one with all those errors in? I'm working on a perl script to automatically tidy up and re-assign GPU errors, and your situation is one that I will need to test for and I don't want to have to wait until I generate a load of those errors ;)

Soldato
My RAC just doesn't seem as high as it should be with 2 x GTX470's (and Q6600) & 2 x GTS250's (and i5 650)....45,685.38

I NEED to upgrade!!!

Well your doing better than me Loudbob, i have 3 in an i7 930 its had weeks to get settled in and still only getting 43,600 figure that one:(

Associate
A general request:

I am writing a perl script that automates the re-assignment of GPU error tasks to the CPU which will eventually be released into the S@H community. Should be finished and ready for beta in about 2-3 weeks (depending on the weather - longer if its nice, shorter if its not). I am interested in any client_state.xml files that anybody may have that I can test against. I am particularly interested in files with lots of errors. Any takers, please pm me via the S@H forum, and I will give you my email address.

Please keep this request within the OcUK community.

Cheers

Associate

I NEED to upgrade!!!

I think I know why my RAC isn't exactly rising......

My Pending credit: 598,232.36 is continuing to go up - which (obviously) means my rig is currently churning out more results than can be validated.

Guess I'm just gonnahave to wait for the happy equilibrium......:(

Soldato
Evening all, had a bit of a financial bombshell today which has called everything into question hopefully it will get straightened out in the next few days but its quite a worry.
Naturally the first things to cut back on would be the extras so am going to have to stop milkyway and flog the card that i only just bought for it along with a few other trinkets :(

Being keeping myself buisy all day faffing around with machines and the like and think i have finally found the right balance with the rigs.

1. 480 x 3 temps 66 deg shaders 1500 mem 1664 - 2 tasks per gpu - fans 100%

2. 470 x 2 temps 65 deg shaders 1470 mem 1664 - 2 tasks per gpu - fans 100%

3. 470 x 1 (bye bye ati) 65 deg shaders 1475 mem 1664 - 2 tasks per gpu - fans 100%

The shifting of 1 rig from the 800d to haf x has cut down on the noise a lot so i had alittle lee way and upped the fans and with a lot of re arranging have lowered the overall ambient temps in the room from 28 deg to 22.
Looking at the shaders etc i take it there's not much room for improvement unless i start tinkering with the voltage....answers on a postcard...no seriously if you think theres anything else i can do please let me know
Cheers Chaps :)

Associate
...Just remember, with watercooling you are dealing with the same (if not higher) heat output from the components as any other cooling method.

Yes water and copper will transport the heat away from the components faster than air alone, however that heat has to go somewhere once it reaches the radiators.

So the same amount of heat will be leaving the case via the radiators, meaning that once its pumped out of the radiators by the fans its in your ambient room space. And unless thats adequately ventilated or cooled its going to get warm, fastish...

quoted for truth Mr ToxicTbag, did you take note of Mr Biffa's speech? More or less exactly what I said to you. Did you see that someone died at the world sauna championships? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691
Be careful now. :eek:

Soldato
Evening Mr Kolala sah, yes i do take a keen interest in what Biffa has to say on watercooling and your observations too, have lowered ambient temps by 6 degrees now just by moving things around and trying for optimal airflow. Once i wcool i will definately be getting a chiller.
Sitting in a sauna at 110 degrees thats just silly i prefer my ibiza 70's :)

Back
Top Bottom