SETI@home News Vol. 111 (23/07/2010)

Associate
Ooooohhh TIffy:

cpartcert1.php

Soldato
OP
Mr TBag sah, have you replaced the walls in your house with hardware or something? I mean, how on earth are you finding the space for it all??

And nice tiffies everyone... again! Looks like the tiffy list in tomorrow's news is going to be fairly lengthy :D

Man of Honour
The holidays are nearly over, so I have started to consider what the new build will be.

Snip juicy parts list

Quick question.

Are you building a dedicated cruncher or something you are going to sit next to all day?

Reason I ask is that for a dedicated cruncher it seems a very OTT on the hardware side, but for a machine to sit next to all day, well lets just say you better be in an airconditioned room, and I'd also think about the fact you will need at least two triple radiators with high speed (1800+) fans to maintain a decent temp with it all running at once.

Weebeastie isn't designed to be lived with, its designed to be in an airconditioned server room, it will survive in a room with decent ventilation but I wouldn't want to try and work on it for long periods of time when its going full tilt.

Last edited:
Associate
Quick question.

Are you building a dedicated cruncher or something you are going to sit next to all day?

I take it that your question is for me?

Yes - it's to be used as the main PC (to live in the bedroom).

I posted the specs so that I may get the thoughts of those who have done this before - like your good self.

As it will be the first time I have ventured into Watercooling - I have no idea what to expect. Thus any advice will be taken with great appreciation.

I have a few ideas for cooling it (via water) but don't want to post anything until I get the base up and running (Stage 1). Once I have it I can get an idea of what will/will not fit within the confines of the case.

Also, as OcUK doesn't exactly have a great deal of choice when it comes to watercooling components i was wondering if you could suggest an alternative source (if thats allowed).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'll hop on MSN for those questions about where to get stuff, they won't be allowed here.

Just remember, with watercooling you are dealing with the same (if not higher) heat output from the components as any other cooling method.

Yes water and copper will transport the heat away from the components faster than air alone, however that heat has to go somewhere once it reaches the radiators.

So the same amount of heat will be leaving the case via the radiators, meaning that once its pumped out of the radiators by the fans its in your ambient room space. And unless thats adequately ventilated or cooled its going to get warm, fastish.

Add to the fact that as a cruncher with four GPU's and overclocked CPU/NB/MB etc its probably going to be pushing more heat out than say a regular gaming PC and for longer periods of time.

I'm not advocating not to do it, just to be aware of the realities so you don't get dissapointed.

Back
Top Bottom