SETI@home News Vol. 111 (23/07/2010)

Associate
Looking at seti's own stats it seems i jumped 2 cells so sorry for not parping CGS but these thing happen ;)

I suppose i should give some advanced warning to the following.

MadMaC
GrandMasterD
Odan

It'll be a couple of week but hopefully by the end of the month. Then its settle in for the long slog :D

Soldato
Just wondering if I need to do anything to Seti before I switch cards don't fancy binning WU's :D

I think you will be alright, but copy your data directory just in case..

Looking at seti's own stats it seems i jumped 2 cells so sorry for not parping CGS but these thing happen ;)

I suppose i should give some advanced warning to the following.

MadMaC
GrandMasterD
Odan

It'll be a couple of week but hopefully by the end of the month. Then its settle in for the long slog :D

Not a lot I can do to stop you, so well done in advance, but Im going to do my best to stop loudbob as I might be able to do that - just! It will be a close run thing...
Its a bit hard to tell as the stats are all over the place now, so hard to calculate accurately

For those people considering an upgrade - a quote from fudzilla...

GTX 470 catches a break Nvidia is apparently slashing Fermi prices once again. Several weeks ago the outfit dropped GTX 480 and GTX 470 prices, but it appears that the price cut did not have much effect, so prices are tumbling once again.

This time around Nvidia is focusing on the GTX 470 and the GTX 465, which is on life support as it is. The GTX 470 has seen a significant price drop from around €300 to €269. The cut moves the GTX 470 much closer to HD 5850 pricing. After Nvidia’s last price cut AMD did not even bother slashing a few cents off the HD 5850 MSRP and it is still selling at the same prices as some nine months ago, which is impressive to say the least.

GTX 465 prices have also gone down. According to latest listings, the new MSRP is €189, which is quite sizable cut from €220. Of course, the GTX 465 is not going to be around much longer, as it is phased out in favor of the GTX 460. However, with its new sub-€200 price tag, the crippled Fermi card does offer quite good value for money, as it costs less than a GTX 460 with 1GB of memory. Bear in mind that it sold for €270 when it launched in June and there are probably quite a few unhappy early adopters at this point.

The GTX 480 does not appear to be affected by the cut, which is not too surprising considering its MSRP was slashed by some 10% in mid-July. Most retailers are listing it around the €400 mark and it is unlikely but not impossible that Nvidia will choose to cut the MSRP once again.

I paid £293 for my 470 from OCUK, and the same value model is going for £234 now..
Might be time for some fermi bargains...

Last edited:
Associate
I paid £293 for my 470 from OCUK, and the same value model is going for £234 now..
Might be time for some fermi bargains...

Go on.......I dare you :D

It will only hold me off for a month or two........

Don't forget - I will be getting a replacement for my Hybrid soon.

Please hurry RMA - it's been over a week already.

Pending credit: 557,496.34

Last edited:
Soldato
Go on.......I dare you :D

It will only hold me off for a month or two........

Don't forget - I will be getting a replacement for my Hybrid soon.

Please hurry RMA - it's been over a week already.

Pending credit: 557,496.34

Ahh, thats a different story then - if you still have more hardware to go in, then I have no hope of holding you off :mad: The only thing I can call on is an 8800GT and I really don't want to go down trying to get different CUDA versions running together in the same box..
My next upgrade or addition will probably be next year now unless I can get the missus to let me dip into the savings - not very likely...

Associate
The holidays are nearly over, so I have started to consider what the new build will be.

How about:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800d
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider 1500w
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Intel X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (Retail) @ 4.2 GHz- to be upgraded to Intel Core i7 980x @ 4.2 Ghz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 16000C9 (2000 MHz)
GPU: 4 x GTX470
HDD’s (1): 2 x Crucial RealSSDC300 256 GB (Raid 0 - Windows 7 64 bit)
HDD’s (2): 2 x Samsung Spinpoint M7 250 GB 5400rpm (Raid 0 - Windows XP 64 bit)
HDD’s (3): 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1.5 GB Ecogreen (Raid 10 - Storage & Back-up)

Now imagine this system water cooled :D

Stage 1: Case, Motherboard, CPU, HDD’s (2) & PSU - Already have 2 x GTX470’s)
Stage 2: HDD’s (3) & RAM
Stage 3: HDD’s (2)
Stage 4: CPU Upgrade to Intel Core i7 980x
Stage 5: Water Cool CPU, Motherboard & RAM
Stage 6: Water Cool GPU 1
Stage 7: Water Cool GPU 2
Stage 8: GTX470 & Water Cool GPU 3
Stage 9: GTX470 & Water Cool GPU 4
Stage 10: Begin New Build :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The holidays are nearly over, so I have started to consider what the new build will be.

How about:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800d
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider 1500w
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Intel X58
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (Retail) @ 4.2 GHz- to be upgraded to Intel Core i7 980x @ 4.2 Ghz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 16000C9 (2000 MHz)
GPU: 4 x GTX470
HDD’s (1): 2 x Crucial RealSSDC300 256 GB (Raid 0 - Windows 7 64 bit)
HDD’s (2): 2 x Samsung Spinpoint M7 250 GB 5400rpm (Raid 0 - Windows XP 64 bit)
HDD’s (3): 4 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1.5 GB Ecogreen (Raid 10 - Storage & Back-up)

Now imagine this system water cooled :D

Stage 1: Case, Motherboard, CPU, HDD’s (2) & PSU - Already have 2 x GTX470’s)
Stage 2: HDD’s (3) & RAM
Stage 3: HDD’s (2)
Stage 4: CPU Upgrade to Intel Core i7 980x
Stage 5: Water Cool CPU, Motherboard & RAM
Stage 6: Water Cool GPU 1
Stage 7: Water Cool GPU 2
Stage 8: GTX470 & Water Cool GPU 3
Stage 9: GTX470 & Water Cool GPU 4
Stage 10: Begin New Build :D

Dribble dribble drool :p

Soldato
Thats one seriously nice setup Loudbob, i know the asus board will fit in 800d case but try and double check the clearance on the last slot for the gpu, course if your watercooling it will be no probs, this demands a build log sah :D

Blimey Edge short of winning the lottery i dont think we'll be able to keep up:(

Associate
Should be enough room for the fourth GPU - especially when it's coupled with a water block :D

T'is gonna take time and money to put this thing together........

But looking forward to it.

Associate
Thanks for that. It doesn't have the same satisfaction as it would have had if you were flat out but i'll take it i suppose. There should be a bottle of something nice left in the corner in appreciation of the fight ;)

Pending 760,774.54

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom