SETI@home News Vol. 115 (12/09/2010)

Soldato
Okeedokee got my head around milkyway and einstein so before i go rattling off and fiddle with app_info yet again will someone tell me how i add both of those projects to my sig....much appreciated :)

Soldato
Better sleep just fell asleep at my monitor clicked loads of carp 24hr days are fun, but hurt my on fire eyes
gianteek.gif

Soldato
OP
Okeedokee got my head around milkyway and einstein so before i go rattling off and fiddle with app_info yet again will someone tell me how i add both of those projects to my sig....much appreciated :)

Look at your sig code. Where you see 'SAH', add 'EAH' and 'MWAH' immediately after it, separared by ':' so that that whole section looks like 'j=SAH:EAH:MWAH&i='. Depending on what order you set those determines how they are ordered in your sig.

Soldato
Thank you TT very much appreciated, will give it a go in a mo, must admit i like the look of Einstein spent the day reading up on gravitational waves etc :)

Aww brill i got something right lol :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah its definately grabbed my interest!
Am doing a correlation on cpu and a pulse search using the gpu, prey tell Mr TT i was a bit tired this morning so am sure i mucked it up, which exact entries do i change to allow more than 1 task per gpu. I found what i thought was the correct"count" entry and changed it to .5 and it showed in bmanager as using .5 gpu but its back to normal this afternoon.
Needless to say i know i am a pain but just think of the science :)

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately, it seems that whenever your rig contacts the einstein servers to get more work it resets the <count> value to 1, so at the moment the only way around it is to keep changing it manually. I suppose an app_info could be set up to enforce the <count> setting, but I haven't a clue how to go about doing that :(

The only other issue with E@H is the ridiculous amount of bandwidth required to download work. Each GPU pulsar task has four files of ~1MB each and the correlation tasks seem to be made up of 44 files, some of which are up to 4MB and many over 3MB :eek:. Put another way, I currently have well over 800 einstein transfers for less than 50 tasks...

Last edited:
Soldato
:D:D Not to worry about the naming its just interesting is all, started milkyway again but someone said not to use the app_info with the app that speeds it up so i deleted it in favour of the stock app it downloaded a few cuda units but they errored out and now its only doing cpu....very slowly too.
Rather than get myself in a stew over it all i think i will retire for an hour with pen and paper, go through all my options with the hardware i have, and figure out which rig can be configured to do what and spread the work across the 3 clients.....and i have to fit folding in there somewhere too :eek::confused:

Soldato
Look at your sig code. Where you see 'SAH', add 'EAH' and 'MWAH' immediately after it, separared by ':' so that that whole section looks like 'j=SAH:EAH:MWAH&i='. Depending on what order you set those determines how they are ordered in your sig.

Dont s'pose you know how to reposition the text do you?
I haven't got room to fit Einstein on at the moment..

Soldato
OP
Yep, you just need to alter the y value. Y = 10 puts the Rank & Credit text right at the top, which leaves enough room at the bottom for a fourth project, although setting y to 13 aligns everything properly.

Last edited:
Associate
:D:D Not to worry about the naming its just interesting is all, started milkyway again but someone said not to use the app_info with the app that speeds it up so i deleted it in favour of the stock app it downloaded a few cuda units but they errored out and now its only doing cpu....very slowly too.
Rather than get myself in a stew over it all i think i will retire for an hour with pen and paper, go through all my options with the hardware i have, and figure out which rig can be configured to do what and spread the work across the 3 clients.....and i have to fit folding in there somewhere too :eek::confused:

methinks you need a fourth machine Mr Toxic........ :p

Soldato
[Lancashire mode start] 'appen yer right lad i say 'appen your right![Lancashire mode end]
I am jiggling aboot (sorry canada) and trying to figure the best way to configure 3 rigs so all projects get a fair share, have been scribbling on pen and paper but its a minefield.
Ok seti is easy it runs on 2 biggish rigs so am going to give the cpu time off them to milkyway. Einstein ooerrrr at present its got a gpu to itself and teh cpu is......argghhhhhhh apple crumble start again - sigh :confused:

Back
Top Bottom