1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up Pi-hole

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by NoNameNoNumber, Nov 5, 2016.

1. jrwagh333

Mobster

I've set up PiHole and in using it on a device by device basis. Got it successfully set up on my Linux machine but trying to get my Pixel 3 to run it is a nightmare.

Whenever I enter the DNS manually on my Pixel it gives me "Connected, no internet"

I've read IPv6 can be a problem but I've had that disabled since forever.

Any advice?

2. the-evaluator

Wise Guy

Why are you doing it that way rather then getting your DHCP server to dish out your Pi-Hole as the DNS server? No need to change settings on each and every device then.

I can't help with the Pixel question, I'm know pretty much sweet FA about Android.

3. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

why not just use it on all devices as default?

setting it up per device must be a PITA.

4. jrwagh333

Mobster

Doesn't fit my use case.

5. Armageus

Don

Probably easier to do it the other way through? Include everything via DHCP as default, and manually set the devices you don't want to use pihole with static IP/dns

6. Steveocee

Soldato

Just set mine up again. Imported a "few" lists and am blocking about 3M domains now. Have set it up to take DNS from my main router so any DHCP devices can have pihole'd (read filtered) DNS and stuff I set up static I can either go through the router or the pihole.

7. Rensin

Wise Guy

I setup pi hole a while ago and just left it, have'nt run any updates for about 3 months (I know lazy git) and have noticed pi hole is no longer blocking any ads (have tried multiple devices)

Today I have ran an update on both pi hole & Raspbian but still getting ads.

Is it easier to just start from fresh and clean install or an easy way of fixing this?

8. BigBoy

Soldato

Check your router, secondary DNS is probably pointing beyond your pihole

9. Rensin

Wise Guy

Cheers this worked.

I've always set 1st DNS as pi hole 2nd, 3rd as cloudflare which worked in the past.

10. BigBoy

Soldato

Yeah this will work but dns1 ,2,3,4 share the load so ads will come through.

11. jellybeard999

Sgarrista

Does anyone else have occasional DNS issues?

Restarting the DNS resolver in the pihole admin menu seems to sort it, but I shouldn't have to do this.

I'm running pihole on it's own Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Hyper-V server.

Apart from this issue, it's rock solid.

12. Steveocee

Soldato

That's definitely not normal. Would suggest just binning the entire VM off and starting a fresh one.

13. BigBoy

Soldato

Thats a massive VM load just to run pihole, would be better off running a raspbian image on the VM if you really want to do it that way, or even go docker (I use docker after playing around with VM's)

14. jellybeard999

Sgarrista

It's a headless setup with no gui etc. I was led to believe that was pretty lightweight. I tried docker, but couldn't get my head round it.

Happy to set it up again if a different setup is better?

15. Armageus

Don

I run pihole in an Ubuntu server VM as well. Its fine with 512mb ram, a single vcpu and doesn't use much disk space.
    Hardly a heavyweight, and better supported than raspbian x86

16. DragonQ

Soldato

I tried running Pihole in docker on my main server and it borked my network config so badly that after 10 hours trying to fix it I gave up and restored a backup.

Right now I run Pihole in Docker on an Ubuntu Server VM. I then run LanCache in its 3 Docker containers in a separate VM and have the Pihole's upstream DNS server set to the Lancache VM. I don't think it's possible to run all the docker containers (pihole, lancache, lancache-dns, lancache-sniproxy) on a single VM because Pihole doesn't let you choose different upstream IPs for ports 53, 80, and 443. I'm not actually sure if it's working correctly yet. Using LanCache by itself works fine but Pihole -> LanCache might be a bit dodgy: I had trouble logging into Steam and the Blizzard app couldn't download the preview videos.

I'm trying to also setup Cloudfared in a Docker container but its input is port 5053 and the upstream DNS server for lancache-dns doesn't allow non-standard ports. So basically Cloudfared would need to run in a Docker container that forwards the host's port 53 to its internal port 5053, and since both Pihole and LanCache already use port 53 on their hosts, the Cloudfared Docker container would need to be run in yet another VM. Sigh, 3 VMs just for this feels silly.