Setting up Pi-hole

Commissario
Rightho chaps, Pi-hole 3 is out with the FTL engine. The web interface loads instantaneously on my Pi2 and reports are that it's really fast now on the Zero as well.

Just run
Code:
pihole -up
to upgrade.

Soldato
Just upgraded to the FTL engine.
Remember to clear your browser cache, after upgrading my pi I found the interface to be slower and sluggish, a clearing of the browser cache sorted this out and pi hole interface loads instantly now

Soldato
Updated and running a pihole at each of our call centres now to block all internet access and allow the managers there to white list or black list sites as they see fit.

Works like a charm and no chance they can break anything on the routers!

Associate
That is the first update ive run on my rpi pihole that hasn't required a full rebuild of pihole to make the dns work again, i'm pleased! Plus the increase in speed is noticeable on my small network.

Soldato
Ok, how would you go about blocking all traffic, but then allowing a white list of sites?

Would you also need to whitelist access for webservices such as windows update?

Soldato
Honest answer, I don't think you would. If you blocked everything and only allowed certain domains then you'd run into problems because it's very likely that the whitelisted sites will reference other sites for images and so on and you'd end up with a site that doesn't load properly.

Pi-hole doesn't work on services, so there's no Windows update object. You'd need to manually whitelist each and every domain that Windows update uses.

What are you trying to achieve? If you're wanting to block internet access to only certain sites then DNS isn't the way to do it.

Soldato
With a router.

Can't be done with the systems we have in place and they refuse to invest, hence using a pi :(

Honest answer, I don't think you would. If you blocked everything and only allowed certain domains then you'd run into problems because it's very likely that the whitelisted sites will reference other sites for images and so on and you'd end up with a site that doesn't load properly.

Pi-hole doesn't work on services, so there's no Windows update object. You'd need to manually whitelist each and every domain that Windows update uses.

What are you trying to achieve? If you're wanting to block internet access to only certain sites then DNS isn't the way to do it.

tbh, they only need access to 4 sites so not overly concerned about links to other sites as 2 are internal.

I know it's not, but as I said above, we can't do it the proper way and everything here has to be hacked around to get it working.

Soldato
tbh, they only need access to 4 sites so not overly concerned about links to other sites as 2 are internal.

I know it's not, but as I said above, we can't do it the proper way and everything here has to be hacked around to get it working.

It's not links I'm refrring to, it's when a site is reliant on other sites to load properly. For example if you visit www.site.com then they may load images from a CDN so you'd need to whitelist the CDN to get the site to load properly.

It's extremely likely that you'll spend ages getting this working and then one of the external sites will be changed slightly and you'll need to put all that time into it again. No way would I consider doing it this way. This isn't what Pi-Hole is designed for. Good luck, you're going to need it.

Soldato
Can't be done with the systems we have in place and they refuse to invest, hence using a pi :(

So you are going to try and stop them from using the internet with a system that is easy to work around? They only need to change the DNS locally and they are around it.

If you wanted to do that properly then you'd still put rules into the router dropping any outbound DNS requests not from the Pi.

Soldato
Anybody having problems with FTL? I have 3 instances of Pi-Hole. My "main" one on Ubuntu 16.04 is working great. My "second" on Ubuntu 14.04 FTL keeps borking and stopping working and my "remote" in the cloud for my VPN is giving me huge wait times on lookups.

Back
Top Bottom