Sexism at the Olympics

fez

fez

Caporegime
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37037050

Am I just behind the times or are nearly all the examples they give in that article complete rubbish.

When US gymnast Simone Biles gave a storming performance on the uneven bars, an NBC commentator complimented her by saying: "I think she might even go higher than the men."

Men are almost universally more powerful and stronger than women. To be compared to the men in such a sport is a compliment I would think.

Meanwhile American swimmer Katie Ledecky was praised as being the "female Michael Phelps" in the Mail Online. Both women were already world champions so why was there a need to compare them to men?

Michael Phelps is arguably the most dominant and greatest olympian ever so again, you would think it a complement to compare a female swimmer to him.

Another commentator caused outrage on social media when he implied a female athlete was reliant on her husband - after Hungarian swimmer Katinka Hosszu won gold in the 400m individual medley with a new world record, he referred to her partner, who is also her trainer, saying: "This is the man responsible."

So an athletes trainer is being credited with making her the best in her sport. Colour me surprised. Athletes change trainers all the time to try and improve and get that extra few % they need to be the best. There was no implication that the woman wasn't good, wasn't the main reason behind her success.

If you watch any amount of sport you will hear people saying "there is the trainer responsible for making him/her the athlete they are today." Murreys trainer has had that said about him a number of times over the years.

"Many commentators say 'girls' in sport even if they know they should say 'women'. This is because they think it's a trivial issue to do with political correctness and they forget in the heat of competition," says Woodward.

"But when you call a woman a girl you are actually infantilising her. A girl is a child. Women's bodies have long been infantilised in popular culture as youth is seen as attractive."

What a load of rubbish. I have heard a number of female commentators, ex sportswomen and world class athletes talk about "our girls".

Why are we so obsessed with seeing racism, sexism and discrimination where there is none. Fine, call it out when it is obvious but its just become a joke now. You can't say anything that could be negatively interpreted without that suddenly being the only intent you could have possibly had. None of the above issues are issues when it comes to mens sport.

Soldato
moan moan moan moan..

you can make everything look negative if you want to, this world is going nuts with the "omg sexism, omg racism, omg ageism" etc... cmon.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
All of them are complete rubbish apart from the last one, i get the last one.

"What an incredible man, Usain Bolt wins the 100 & 200 metres again"

"What an incredible boy, Usain Bolt wins the 100 & 200 metres again"

It's just weird...

Weird yes, offensive not at all!

Soldato
The first two examples are pretty much rubbish. The third could be insulting but would be just as insulting if the comment had been about the coach of a male athlete. And besides, sports commentators are commonly ex-athletes who know how important a good coach is to push them to this level. They've probably made plenty of comments about how "they couldn't have done it without their coach" about their own achievements. It's a bit insulting, but not due to gender.

The fourth one really depends a bit on context. Woman is better in the circumstances. But again, sports commentators are typically in their forties and up whilst the athletes are likely in their twenties or younger (in gymnastics for example). Older people referring to younger people often use boys or girls. So on the last one there's a point in that women would be preferred, but I don't think there's ill-intent. Correct and move on.

fez

fez

Caporegime
OP
All of them are complete rubbish apart from the last one, i get the last one.

"What an incredible man, Usain Bolt wins the 100 & 200 metres again"

"What an incredible boy, Usain Bolt wins the 100 & 200 metres again"

It's just weird...

Its weird but the whole sentence is weird. There are also hundreds of girls at the olympics. Some as young as 13. Girls is not a completely age relative term either. You will find 40 year old women saying "out on the town with my girls" etc.

Its all ********.

Soldato
Weird yes, offensive not at all!

Yea, i dunno, if people started calling you boy, "alright boy" i think you'd start to think it was some form of domination, like they are above you.

But, youre probably right, more weird than offensive maybe.

Its weird but the whole sentence is weird. There are also hundreds of girls at the olympics. Some as young as 13. Girls is not a completely age relative term either. You will find 40 year old women saying "out on the town with my girls" etc.

Its all ********.

Context would be useful, yea. It's fine calling a 13 year old gymnast a girl but it's a bit weird saying it about ladies in their 20's and 30's. I'm not sure tbh, i think someone calling me boy/kid is just a bit odd. It all comes down to how it's said really, you can call some a ****head and it can be in loving way :p

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
OP
Yea, i dunno, if people started calling you boy, "alright boy" i think you'd start to think it was some form of domination, like they are above you.

Context would be useful, yea. It's fine calling a 13 year old gymnast a girl but it's a bit weird saying it about ladies in their 20's and 30's

I would say the terms girl and boy are used more affectionately when referring to our athletes. I have certainly heard "our boys" and "the boys" mentioned a number of times.

Soldato

No one says "alright girl" either though

Trusty said:
Context would be useful, yea. It's fine calling a 13 year old gymnast a girl but it's a bit weird saying it about ladies in their 20's and 30's. I'm not sure tbh, i think someone calling me boy/kid is just a bit odd.

I think it's relative to the age of the commentator

J.T

J.T

Soldato

Context would be useful, yea. It's fine calling a 13 year old gymnast a girl but it's a bit weird saying it about ladies in their 20's and 30's

Correct, context is everything.

My father still calls me "Boy" as a term of endearment, doesn't offend me.

Also the common saying "The Boy done good" could be applied to the original example with Mr bolt with no ill intent. :)

Soldato
I would say the terms girl and boy are used more affectionately when referring to our athletes. I have certainly heard "our boys" and "the boys" mentioned a number of times.

Yea, i'm probably wrong to be fair, i'm just going off my own personal experience of someone calling me boy all the time who was younger than me, he could never be wrong, always challenging me, he was ******* annoying, a complete div, it didn't end well :D

Although, it's true about black people hating the phrase "boy", all the masters used to say that when slavery was legal. That Mohammed Ali interview with that Aussie guy, Ali went mental at him for saying boy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom