1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shall I get SSD or HDD

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Minibiker, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Minibiker

Wise Guy

Hi all

Gathering all my parts for a new build and I'm not sure what I should get to store all my games on..

SSD or HDD?

Obviously HDD 1tb is cheaper than a SSD, Is there any reasons why one may be Better than the other... I bought a 120GB western digital M.2 to install windows on now thinking of others to go inside the case..

2. koolpc

Sgarrista

A fast HDD would suffice for storing games I would say.

3. JasonM

Wise Guy

HDD for second disk, Western Digital Black would be my choice, then spend saved money on at least 16GB RAM.

4. Minibiker

Wise Guy

I was looking at the Seagate 7200rpm 1Tb HDD's earlier, I'm tempted to purchase one...

5. JasonM

Wise Guy

I don't like the consumer based Seagate drives as there failure rate appears high, there is a thread on Seagate failure rates on this forum. As it's a games drive and you can easily re-install it's far less an issue however

6. Minibiker

Wise Guy

Any other recommendations bud

7. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Samsung or WD.

8. MagicBoy

Capodecina

Toshiba.

9. howiepoohs

Mobster

Get both. SSD for games and OS and HDD for file storage and lesser played games. I have two SSDs and 6 HDDs in my main PC and another three HDDs in my other file storage PC. You can never have enough space when running a Plex server.

10. hornetstinger

Mobster

SSD for OS and applications. Regular HD for games.

You may want to install games which are really slow on the SSD. X-Plane and BF for example.

11. JasonM

Wise Guy

Western Digital, used loads of the years and never known one to fail. The very best are the Black and the RE drives (both of these drives are physically built better than the lower end drives, they also have dual controllers for performance), however that's perhaps overkill for a games drive.

12. hornetstinger

Mobster

I've got a WD black 1TB. Had it for years. How come it's still expensive, and only 2TB is available?

13. JasonM

Wise Guy

Re still on 2TB, it's probably because it's a workstation drive. There designed for high IO such as database read writes, also extended long use, I expect WD consider higher density less reliable.

EDIT, just had a google WD Blacks come in 6TB now!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. Minibiker

Wise Guy

I had a WD in one of my older builds, Didnt know Seagate had high failure rates :eek:

15. stewski

Mobster

16. stewski

Mobster

by the way we have those toshiba drives at that link, unlike our western digi they have zero failures for us too!

17. MagicBoy

Capodecina

I've got 4 of the Toshibas in a Microserver as a NAS. Been running 24x7 for about 4 years and still perfect...

18. bledd

Don

SSD, hard drives are too loud to be in your PC.

19. hornetstinger

Mobster

Nah they're fine, also not a problem when you're playing games or listening to music.

I suppose if you want a silent computer, like a raspberry pi or something sure.

20. bimbleuk

Hitman

My setup 128GB M.2 to boot. M.2 512GB to play my current games. As most of my games are Steam based I use the Steam backup feature to export to HDD for long term to save on bandwidth if I want to install them again. Then you only have to re-install locally and let the Steam client install the latest patches.

I have NAS, external USB 3.0 caddie and hot swap bays available for HDDs. I haven't had SSD/HDD installed in my system for a couple of years now. I don't like cables :)