Shall I get SSD or HDD

Associate
1TB SSD..

Got one a few years back for £240 or 260 can't remember which.

The spead of loading in SP games is great, if you play online a lot then it doesn't really matter. Makes no difference if you load in 5 seconds when your team mates load in 30 so you have to wait for them.

Currently I just got my 1TB Evo 840 replaced by Samsung to the 850 which im now using purely as a Steam drive for my games.

I hightly recommend a M.2 for a boot drive I installed a Samsung 960 250GB 2 weeks ago and it's instant, I don't even know how long it takes me to boot my log in screen is up before my monitor turns on...

I then have a 10 year old Samsung T1 1TB HDD for a storage drive, currently empty as I needed to format it clean once my SSD when funny.

I should point out I've had my 1TB HDD since 2008, still 0 problems =)

Caporegime
A 256GB SSD has plenty of space for Windows + a couple games. I guess it depends on how many games you like to keep installed at any one time. With me I play one game until it's done then delete it. YMMV.

I took my mechanical out to improve airflow and noise... and I can't say I miss it too badly. 1TB SSDs are mental prices right now. Mental. Argle-bargle-bippidy-bo prices.

Permabanned
SSD

Don't waste money on anything else right now, I know they're a little expensive but they're worth it.

I have a 4TB NAS drive I use for general storage, just somewhere to dump large files really.

All the drives in my system are SSD, 2x1TB and 2x256GB. 256GB SSD drive is around £120 which should be cheap enough and large enough to get you started, expand as you need it.

Nah they're fine, also not a problem when you're playing games or listening to music.

I suppose if you want a silent computer, like a raspberry pi or something sure.

In a near silent PC they're pretty horrible and can cause annoying vibrations. I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm running 256GB NVME SSD + 1TB SSD for games, documents etc and it's great.

If you're just storing games on the larger drive, you can definitely get away with a spinning disk but I enjoy the fast load times too much.

Back
Top Bottom