Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
Made a few more pizzas in the Roccbox this weekend. A 24 hour cold ferment with this flour seems to work much better with than the usual 72 hours, but I can't wait to get my hands on some Caputo Blue.

This one had nduja sausage on which is an absolute winner.

3KqpzVy.jpg

UI2iAFT.jpg

Caporegime
They do indeed look epic. Would love to do it but couldn’t justify that expense just to cook pizza. Pointless trying to get them that good in a normal electric oven though.

What exactly does a pizza stone do to your pizza when oven cooking?

Soldato
Cheers guys. The oven is certainly expensive, but if I add up the amount of pizzas we've made compared to how much they'd cost from a good Italian restaurant/takeaway, I reckon I'm about halfway to the break-even point after 5 months. It's also really good fun for guests to create their own pizzas, and the cost of the ingredients is low.

What exactly does a pizza stone do to your pizza when oven cooking?

It helps to cook the base quicker because it retains heat very well. The stone in my Roccbox gets to ~450c and will stay there all day long.

Soldato
looks great - cheese / sausage / herbs ... never tried one without tomato

Flour is interesting as although it is marked for pizza, it is not specified as strong/high-protein usually associated with bread, but maybe better for thinner Neopilitan/New York
bases, crisper ? but has clearly risen well at the edges; finer 00 will I guess form gluten structure faster.

Soldato
looks great - cheese / sausage / herbs ... never tried one without tomato

Flour is interesting as although it is marked for pizza, it is not specified as strong/high-protein usually associated with bread, but maybe better for thinner Neopilitan/New York
bases, crisper ? but has clearly risen well at the edges; finer 00 will I guess form gluten structure faster.

There is tomato under all that cheese :) For some reason our tomato sauce comes out almost brown after we've added fresh herbs and blended it. I'm not really sure why, but I would like to find out.

Man of Honour
There is tomato under all that cheese :) For some reason our tomato sauce comes out almost brown after we've added fresh herbs and blended it. I'm not really sure why, but I would like to find out.

I'd guess that it was the blending of the green herbs that caused it to do that. Is it a high powered blender by chance?

Soldato
Interesting comments on the good blender breaking open a higher percentage of herb cell walls (had been toying with a pestle&mortar for xmas)
aside from colour, seems that would be beneficial for max flavour for uncooked use ,
as they also rupture if cooked, and, having distributed fragments of herb (which earlier picture shows anway, in addition to final basil ) maybe a more interesting flavour stack than a homogenized tomato mix

(per article .. does anyone apart from Internet diet gurus and their droids blend kale)

Soldato
I posted a lazy man's pizza dough recipe a while back but it has been tweaked a bit since. Similar to Kimi, this is more of a Neapolitan style pizza dough.

CUT.

I’ve just made this dough based on your recipe, though 4x the amount. I want to use it on Boxing Day...do you think I’ve done it too early?

EDIT: don't worry, I think a 6 day cold fermentation should be fine :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’ve just made this dough based on your recipe, though 4x the amount. I want to use it on Boxing Day...do you think I’ve done it too early?

EDIT: don't worry, I think a 6 day cold fermentation should be fine :D

Sorry, meant to reply to this the other day.

6 day cold ferment should be fine. You may want to re-ball the dough part way through though just in case you get a bit of drying of the outside.

I need to update the recipe really. It's still fine but these days I've simplified it a lot.

Soldato
For those using a steel do you slide the pizza directly onto it from the baking paper or do you leave the baking paper attached? I’m looking to get the steel mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would also love to get some tips on seasoning the steel.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I use a steel and a pizza peel...so no greaseproof paper. Just slide the pizza directly on to it.

Also, I did a very basic job of seasoning. Just one coat of oil. It's stainless steel though, so seasoning is utterly pointless to attempt. I didn't realise this at the time.

Back
Top Bottom