Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
I use a steel and a pizza peel...so no greaseproof paper. Just slide the pizza directly on to it.

Also, I did a very basic job of seasoning. Just one coat of oil. It's stainless steel though, so seasoning is utterly pointless to attempt. I didn't realise this at the time.
Are you using this one that you mentioned earlier in the thread? https://pizzasteel.uk/pages/the-steel

Soldato
Yes I am...and clearly I was remembering incorrectly when I posted the above :p

Sorry for the duff information.
No worries. I thought I was looking at a different steel as this is a carbon steel one. At least it isn’t rusting! Thanks for the help. Extremely useful. I’m going to order one of those after I’ve measured the oven. Which size did you go for?

Man of Honour
No worries. I thought I was looking at a different steel as this is a carbon steel one. At least it isn’t rusting! Thanks for the help. Extremely useful. I’m going to order one of those after I’ve measured the oven. Which size did you go for?

It was actually a (not very subtly hinted at) gift so I'm not sure but I think it's the larger square one.

As I mentioned above, I only gave it a single coat of oil. Now that I'm more awake I'm pretty sure this time I'm not making things up :) The coating doesn't need to be as robust as that you'd have in a carbon steel or cast iron pan and the thing is always kept bone dry so it's less prone to rust. That said, my oven only goes up to 260/270C iirc so if you've got something that can do higher you might have a different experience.

Soldato
Which size did you go for?
I had got a ceramic one (less than a tenner), but nonetheless did not get one too large so it did not impede air flow around it in the convector oven,
also recently adopted a stanley blade for just clearing any debris from it when cool (those nice edible cheese overflow bits/crisps)

Man of Honour
Where do you guys get pellets for your Uuni pizza ovens?

Just bought one yesterday and thinking there must be cheap alternatives to their own branded stuff.

Look up smoking pellets (for BBQ pellet smokers). You can get massive bags of them for about £7 each iirc. Though with postage you'll want to buy a couple to make it worthwhile.

Soldato
I'm just using the recipe that came with the uuni at the minute.

Some questions,
Can you freeze dried active yeast I have loads?
Freezing dough is it best to freeze straight away or can you freeze it at any point?

Soldato
Had our first run of the Uuni a couple of nights ago. Went pretty well! Just gotta work on my pizza sauce a bit as it was slightly more watery than I like. I have cooked down the remainder and I'll be trying that today.

Got some dough left in fridge from Friday. Should be even better now.

Soldato
Can you freeze dried active yeast I have loads?
Freezing dough is it best to freeze straight away or can you freeze it at any point?
?
I freeze cling'd sourdough pizza dough immediately as it has a limited lifespan (overprooving / dieing in the fridge max -72hours) and then thaw it in the fridge for 12hours before allowing to return to room temp before using, otherwise it goes pappy.

Back
Top Bottom