Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Soldato
if you're making your own dough then I don't want to compromise with a pre-made topping, so just get some cirrio brand when on offer, or more expensive
sanmarzono, and make a job lot of topping celery/onion/garlic/fish-sauce, as previously detailed in this thread. ... fresh vine tomatoes would be nice to try though

[not heard of it - but Bomba says Triple Concentrate Tomato Puree, Red Wine, Mixed Vegetables (Carrot, Celery, Onion), Sunflower Oil, Cooked Grape Must, Herbs, Spices, Salt, Raw Cane Sugar... not convinced 2.4g of a 15g tbsp is sugar too ]
edit - tomato concentrate on it's own/unidiluted is overpowering, and would dry out, in oven.

Last edited:
Soldato
Brexit may impact pizza - could have fake tomatoes like usa
.. he sent me a series of photos that have turned on more than one warning light on the radar of Casalingo di Voghera. Also because the debasement of Italian food excellences is closely linked to the phenomena of corporal in the South and to the dead among the collectors of "red gold". The phenomenon of falsification is probably the main cause of the collapse of prices, as reported by Coldiretti, to the 8 cents paid in Puglia for a kilo of tomatoes at the origin.

But let's go in order. On the day of August the online edition of The New York Times publishes a new cartoon-investigation on Italian products, entitled The Mystery of San Marzano , the mystery of San Marzano. The author of the strip is Nicholas Blechman, illustrator and former art director of the New York Times Book Review. It all starts when Blechman in a Brooklyn store where he went to buy some tomatoes, makes an unexpected discovery for him: in the States are marketed San Marzano tomatoes, an Italian variety protected by the PDO that are actually grown in America. At this point the journalist-designer makes another "discovery": in the United States there are no PDOs or protection consortia, concluding that "it is up to consumers to understand the difference" between real and fake San Marzano tomatoes. Very true. Too bad that in the US the Protected Designations of Origin are systematically faked because the powerful lobby of local

edit ->
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive.../food-chains-mystery-of-san-marzano.html?_r=0

Associate
Been using Jamie Olivers recipe recently

400 g strong white flour
100 g fine ground semolina flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp demerara sugar
7g packet yeast
320ml water
Glug of olive oil

Was a little wet so added some 00 grade flour to bring it back together - 8 minutes at 270C on a pizza stone and it worked out really well.

Have some chilli plants germinating on a heating mat which had some extra space on it - worked perfectly for proving the dough though!

Also did some more reading on pizza dough on seriouseats - next time I'll prepare the dough a day ahead - rather than the usual couple of hours and see how that affects the result.

Soldato
Iceland did ! worth catching up on last nights 'in the factory'

use of just '0' flour, the apparent absence of excess oil, genuine stonebake in ~80s/450C(was it), and the PH analysis of cheeses as an indication of meltability was interesting

could tempt me to buy the first pizza for probably 10 years.

Soldato
Have you tried more then one pizza dough recipe ?
out of all which is the best recipe in your option ?

i've been using the gennaro one
500g flour
7g yeast
325ml water
salt
sugar

it should make 4 pizza but I find my results are always 2 and a little lacking from what I think a good pizza should be.

Associate
Opted to reduce Passata with half an onion, garlic, a squeeze of lemon, and some chopped basil. Smells amazing, will try it on pizza tomorrow.

How did it go LIJonno?

I usually make a veg pasta sauce and liquidize a bit for pizza base.
Oven/grilled toms, garlic, red onions, carrot, puree salt and pepper, olive oi,a touch of Sambal Oleg (chilli, be careful not to use to much) for a little kick, tin of plum toms, oregano/basil and what ever else takes my fancy on the day on the herb department and the smallest touch of honey if a little to bitter. Cook all veg in roasting tray, ad to pot and cook to reduce/ or ad water where necessary. Liquidize some for Pizza base.

Regarding Pizza dough. I use Waitrose strong Canadian white/wholemeal Flours (Great for bread making).
I think the simple formula for pizza dough is keep it simple, flour, salt, yeast, water, olive oil (no sugar).

My oven sucks big time, need a new one...

@ 2013: Use 1 table spoon of half descent olive oil instead of the sugar to your dough mix and see if it makes any difference.

Funny, a second ago I was posting about pc components etc and now straight into Pizza land! :) Got to love these forums/you chaps & laddies :)

Associate
Some home made bread I was experimenting with (french baguette, onions/herbs, honey and nuts etc)
https://imgur.com/GeSh8Y6

I've since bought a Panasonic bread/dough making machine, especially handy for making smooth elastic pizza dough/save time.
I cannot recommend this machine enough for home use (Panasonic SD-ZB2502).

Soldato
How did it go LIJonno?

I usually make a veg pasta sauce and liquidize a bit for pizza base.
Oven/grilled toms, garlic, red onions, carrot, puree salt and pepper, olive oi,a touch of Sambal Oleg (chilli, be careful not to use to much) for a little kick, tin of plum toms, oregano/basil and what ever else takes my fancy on the day on the herb department and the smallest touch of honey if a little to bitter. Cook all veg in roasting tray, ad to pot and cook to reduce/ or ad water where necessary. Liquidize some for Pizza base.

Regarding Pizza dough. I use Waitrose strong Canadian white/wholemeal Flours (Great for bread making).
I think the simple formula for pizza dough is keep it simple, flour, salt, yeast, water, olive oil (no sugar).

My oven sucks big time, need a new one...

@ 2013: Use 1 table spoon of half descent olive oil instead of the sugar to your dough mix and see if it makes any difference.

Funny, a second ago I was posting about pc components etc and now straight into Pizza land! :) Got to love these forums/you chaps & laddies :)
Thanks, I use both sugar or honey with the yeast and a spoon of olive oil in the flour. I think one of the problems ive had is over cooking the pizza so im trying to find the right temp and time.

Associate
Thanks, I use both sugar or honey with the yeast and a spoon of olive oil in the flour. I think one of the problems ive had is over cooking the pizza so im trying to find the right temp and time.
It's hard to do, but try being really stingy with the toppings as they add a lot of water/messes with cooking of the pizza base in my experience.
Sugar/honey etc gives softness and crust colour.
Regarding temps, I try and cook around 7 on cooker, but depending on your mix this might vary with your cooker (my one goes from low at 6 to high at 7...pathetic ). Good thing you are experimenting with temps :) .
Also try turning pizza around when cooking to even the heat/cooking.
Happy cooking 2013! :)

Soldato
It's hard to do, but try being really stingy with the toppings as they add a lot of water/messes with cooking of the pizza base in my experience.
Sugar/honey etc gives softness and crust colour.
Regarding temps, I try and cook around 7 on cooker, but depending on your mix this might vary with your cooker (my one goes from low at 6 to high at 7...pathetic ). Good thing you are experimenting with temps :) .
Also try turning pizza around when cooking to even the heat/cooking.
Happy cooking 2013! :)
I know what you mean, I always end up putting on more then I want.
i've been trying at 220c for 10-15 mins I dont really turn the pizza, I have a fan oven.

mix
500g flour
325ml water
7g yeast
spoon of sugar or honey
salt to taste
spoon of oil

Soldato
we've got the recipe it was 6 posts before ! indeed same proportions as the preceeding Olivernhardy.
- cold ferment which Ftart outlined earlier is one significant variation, other than sourdough.

fan oven (plate or stone) is basically as hot as it will go though, i've not heard of backing it off. 220c ... the topping is boiling-off as the plate dumps heat into the dough.

I've since bought a Panasonic bread/dough making machine
agree they're great - last one I got was pan ebay store - motor on previous awol after 10years

Soldato
Any decent tomato sauce recipes? After something thick and not watery
To be fair I usually. Roast the following in a big tray:
Aubergine halved
Steak tomatoe
A load of plum tomato
Some sweet tomatoes and some vine tomatoes
Deseeded red long pepper thing.
Halved red onion
Halve shallots
Two garlic cloves crushed
And some pancetta,
Drizzle with some red wine.

Whilst Thats roasting, reduce down a red wine and vinegar conserve.

Put it all in a blender and add a Vegetable stock cube.

I then freeze what I don't need and use it for other "Italian" meals in the week, I usually add a bit of water and basil leaves when doing a spag bol or lasagne, or leave as if I'm adding to a normal dish.

Was thinking about adding a few sun dried tomatoes to it but not sure it's a bit much.

Anyone also add chili flakes and garlic granules or Oregarno to your dough?

Associate
To be fair I usually. Roast the following in a big tray:
Aubergine halved
Steak tomatoe
A load of plum tomato
Some sweet tomatoes and some vine tomatoes
Deseeded red long pepper thing.
Halved red onion
Halve shallots
Two garlic cloves crushed
And some pancetta,
Drizzle with some red wine.

Whilst Thats roasting, reduce down a red wine and vinegar conserve.

Put it all in a blender and add a Vegetable stock cube.

I then freeze what I don't need and use it for other "Italian" meals in the week, I usually add a bit of water and basil leaves when doing a spag bol or lasagne, or leave as if I'm adding to a normal dish.

Was thinking about adding a few sun dried tomatoes to it but not sure it's a bit much.

Anyone also add chili flakes and garlic granules or Oregarno to your dough?
Nice recipe Abraxaz1.
Can you explain a little more how you make your wine/vinegar conserve please? thx

I ^made* a Oregano Olive loaf in bread machine last night. 1 tbsp Oregano/ 50 g choooed ilives/400gram flour etc.
Ill take a pic of bread recipes that came with bread machine.

Soldato
Nice recipe Abraxaz1.
Can you explain a little more how you make your wine/vinegar conserve please? thx

I ^made* a Oregano Olive loaf in bread machine last night. 1 tbsp Oregano/ 50 g choooed ilives/400gram flour etc.
Ill take a pic of bread recipes that came with bread machine.

It's just a splash of red wine vinegar and a some sugar, reduce down till it's syrupy, add to blender until it's dissolved into the mixture.

I think it enhance the flavour to the next level.

I really want to buy one of those pizza ovens but need to do up the kitchen first

Associate
It's just a splash of red wine vinegar and a some sugar, reduce down till it's syrupy, add to blender until it's dissolved into the mixture.

I think it enhance the flavour to the next level.

I really want to buy one of those pizza ovens but need to do up the kitchen first

Sounds good thx Abraxaz1!

Here is a couple of pages from bread making machine recipe book that might be of use:

79irdO0.jpg

rpvEd0F.jpg

Soldato
(providing no one borrows it) panasonic ones are great for pizza dough & bread, 5years into current one from ebay panasonic store, used 3 times a week.

Back
Top Bottom