Share Your Best Pizza Dough...

Associate
Hi I originally posted this on the Uuni oven thread, for those using bread makers what program do you use, I always used the pizza dough (45 mins) on my Panasonic left for a couple of hours knocked back then left 1 to 2 nights in the fridge taken out a couple of hours before use and always get it stretching back

Soldato
Hi I originally posted this on the Uuni oven thread, for those using bread makers what program do you use, I always used the pizza dough (45 mins) on my Panasonic left for a couple of hours knocked back then left 1 to 2 nights in the fridge taken out a couple of hours before use and always get it stretching back
22, which is the 45 minute pizza one.

Associate
OP
For those of you folks still using a standard kitchen oven to make your pizza, have you yet to find the perfect recipe and method?

My oven has a pizza setting which gets me to a slightly above average temperature of 300 deg and have had varying results with basic flour, yeast and water mixes then the more complex flour, yeast, sugar, oil and water mixes.

Soldato
oven pizza (ham/jalep/pineapple) this weekend ... need to remember to let them cool down -- roof of mouth remains burned by cheese/tom.

still ambivalent on using (cirrio) passata+onion/celery sauce, compared to tinned tomatoes, the passata flavour is very rich and ultimately hides some of other toppings.

48704391538_c0c253f479_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Problem with knives and cutters is they can tend to drag the toppings around a bit. I like the rockers because they leave everything just as it is.

I think professional pizzerias use rockers.

I dont have that issue as my biggest knife will cut the pizza in one rocking motion from tip to handle... so i suppose its a rocker knife :D

Soldato
For those of you folks still using a standard kitchen oven to make your pizza, have you yet to find the perfect recipe and method?

My oven has a pizza setting which gets me to a slightly above average temperature of 300 deg and have had varying results with basic flour, yeast and water mixes then the more complex flour, yeast, sugar, oil and water mixes.

I've been making home made pizza for a while now and tried a lot of different recipes, I was late home from work last night so just threw a recipe together which actually worked out fantastic and I'll be using it from now on.

200g 00 Italian flour. I got mine from Shipton mill but got similar results from Mcdougalls 00 flour.
30g fine semolina
4g table salt
5g fast action yeast
185g warm water

Very high hydration pizza with give you a really nice texture and puffy crust but be warned can be difficult to work.

In a heavy glass bowl add all of the dry ingredients and mix to combine them.
Next add all of the water and mix with the handle end of a wooden spoon until combined.

Now you need to knead the dough either with a stand mixer or I use an electric whisk with the dough hook attachments.
Because it's such a wet dough they work very well.

Knead the dough until it pulls away from the sides of the glass bowl, this normally takes at least 8 mins.
The dough will be a sticky mess at first but keep kneading and eventually it will form into a ball, keep going until it does.

Once the dough is well kneaded rub a table spoon of oil onto your worktop and tip the dough out onto it.
Now you need to fold the dough, pinch an outer edge of the dough and fold in into the middle then turn and repeat this a few times.
After that flip the dough over so the seam side is down and cover the dough with the glass bowl.
leave the dough for 20-30 mins.

After 20-30 mins slightly wet your finger tips with warm water and fold the dough several times again. Wetting your finger tips will stop the dough from sticking to them.
Do not use any flour to dust the dough just yet.
Flip the dough over and cover with the bowl and leave again for 20-30 mins.

Set your oven to 230c

After this fold the dough once more with wet fingers then heavily dust the work top with flour and place you dough seam side down, now heavily dust the top of the dough with flour and use a dough scraper to push the dough into a ball from the out sides only, do not press on the top of the dough. You don't want any of the flour getting inside the dough at this point as it will ruin the texture of the dough, the flour should be on the outside only to stop the dough sticking to the work top.
Cover the dough with the bowl once more for 10 mins.

After this its ready to make the pizza. Remove the bowl and start to form the pizza base by pressing with the pads of your fingers lightly from the centre out forming a thicker crust around the edge, don't use a rolling pin you monster!
The dough should be soft and light. Once you've pressed the dough out to around 9" move it to your peel or large baking tray dusted with semolina, don't try to make the pizza full size at this stage as you will stretch it once more after the toppings are added.

Add your toppings remember less is more when it comes to pizza then pinch opposite sides of the dough and lightly stretch to desired size, bake in the oven at 230c for 12-15 mins.

Nom Nom Nom.

Associate
OP
I've been making home made pizza for a while now and tried a lot of different recipes, I was late home from work last night so just threw a recipe together which actually worked out fantastic and I'll be using it from now on.

200g 00 Italian flour. I got mine from Shipton mill but got similar results from Mcdougalls 00 flour.
30g fine semolina
4g table salt
5g fast action yeast
185g warm water

Very high hydration pizza with give you a really nice texture and puffy crust but be warned can be difficult to work.

In a heavy glass bowl add all of the dry ingredients and mix to combine them.
Next add all of the water and mix with the handle end of a wooden spoon until combined.

Now you need to knead the dough either with a stand mixer or I use an electric whisk with the dough hook attachments.
Because it's such a wet dough they work very well.

Knead the dough until it pulls away from the sides of the glass bowl, this normally takes at least 8 mins.
The dough will be a sticky mess at first but keep kneading and eventually it will form into a ball, keep going until it does.

Once the dough is well kneaded rub a table spoon of oil onto your worktop and tip the dough out onto it.
Now you need to fold the dough, pinch an outer edge of the dough and fold in into the middle then turn and repeat this a few times.
After that flip the dough over so the seam side is down and cover the dough with the glass bowl.
leave the dough for 20-30 mins.

After 20-30 mins slightly wet your finger tips with warm water and fold the dough several times again. Wetting your finger tips will stop the dough from sticking to them.
Do not use any flour to dust the dough just yet.
Flip the dough over and cover with the bowl and leave again for 20-30 mins.

Set your oven to 230c

After this fold the dough once more with wet fingers then heavily dust the work top with flour and place you dough seam side down, now heavily dust the top of the dough with flour and use a dough scraper to push the dough into a ball from the out sides only, do not press on the top of the dough. You don't want any of the flour getting inside the dough at this point as it will ruin the texture of the dough, the flour should be on the outside only to stop the dough sticking to the work top.
Cover the dough with the bowl once more for 10 mins.

After this its ready to make the pizza. Remove the bowl and start to form the pizza base by pressing with the pads of your fingers lightly from the centre out forming a thicker crust around the edge, don't use a rolling pin you monster!
The dough should be soft and light. Once you've pressed the dough out to around 9" move it to your peel or large baking tray dusted with semolina, don't try to make the pizza full size at this stage as you will stretch it once more after the toppings are added.

Add your toppings remember less is more when it comes to pizza then pinch opposite sides of the dough and lightly stretch to desired size, bake in the oven at 230c for 12-15 mins.

Nom Nom Nom.

Superb, thank you for such a detailed guide. I'll be trying this very soon! :) Surprised to see only 230 degrees, I've been using 300 degrees pizza setting on mine but might explain where Im going wrong?

Soldato
Experiment with different temperatures and times, 230c is the hottest my oven will go and even then I have to keep an eye out not to over cook it.

Oh and always cut your mozzarella into slices and thoroughly dry it off before putting it on the pizza, this will help you not to get a soggy bottom ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I had another go at this recipe tonight, only slight change was I added a very small pinch of sugar to the dough.

Pizza looks a bit of a mess, I normally only add mozzarella and basil to my pizza but I was using up what was left in the fridge.

MgqI04A.jpg

I made the crust a little larger than normal and it puffed up a lot more than I was expecting.

nyf3JCE.jpg

The crust was light and springy with a lovely crunch

CGA00Vk.jpg

Really liking this recipe only trouble is I've run out of the Shipton Italian flour :(

Soldato
looks good .. quasi similar to the bread airation on your baguettes ... you have a particular set of skills - have you tried with your sourdough starter too ?

so i suppose its a rocker knife
unless you have wooden board for the pizza like famas .. the rollers/rockers knack the plate , and blunt a knife too

...it's raining/windy/dark here evening, so not too compatible with outdoor ovens.

Soldato
I'm not sure this is necessarily in the spirit of the thread, but I've taken to using the world's easiest flatbread recipe for very quick 'pizzas'.

Some flour, enough plain yoghurt to bind, a little baking powder. Roll out, stick on a baking tray, cover in tomato puree and whatever toppings and herbs and spices you want.

The whole process takes about 5-10 mins plus cooking time and gives you a surprisingly good thin crispy base, albeit without much in the way of air pockets.

Delish!

yu5qOSB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom