Shed security options for bikes

Soldato
Hey,

I have a plastic shed in the back garden (this one: https://www.keter.com/en-gb/sheds/small-sheds/darwin-shed-6x4ft-brown-254978.html), which obviously has a hefty padlock and covered by a couple of security lights. I'm under no illusions that this is totally safe storage for a bike, and anyone who is determined to get into it will quite easily. However, I am looking for some good deterrents.
The shed is on top of some railway sleepers, which I could potentially attach something to and then use a chain, but not sure if it's as strong as if it was anchored into concrete. Alternatively, I've seen that some partially submerge something like this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Cemen...7&sprefix=ground+stake+securit,aps,71&sr=8-47 in a bucket of concrete or something like that.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any smart deterrents aside from what's been mentioned.

Cheers!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Insurance is about all you can do. If someone wants your bikes and they are valuable enough they will take them. You can spend a lot of time and money to make it hard for them but you will also make your life harder every time you want to use them.

Associate
With insurance, worth also checking the requirements of the policy. For instance mine requires a bike be locked with a sold secure gold lock to an immovable object, the shed door have no exposed screws for bolts or hinges and that if a padlock is used with a hasp and stable it has to be fully enclosed. Stuff like that, got to make sure you're ticking all the boxes so you're covered in the event of a claim.

Soldato
OP
So sounds like it's a case of lock it up within the recommendations of insurance. Apparently mine (AXA) don't insure shed contents!? Waiting for them to clarify.

@SexyGreyFox chain looks good, might go for a similar setup.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So sounds like it's a case of lock it up within the recommendations of insurance. Apparently mine (AXA) don't insure shed contents!? Waiting for them to clarify.

@SexyGreyFox chain looks good, might go for a similar setup.

Sheds are fundamentally horribly insecure. My last policy on my bike only stipulated that the lock and fittings had to be of a certain grade. Nothing about any of the hinges or anything. At the end of the day, if your shed door is strong they would probably just rip the side off it in 1/4 of the time.

Man of Honour
Sheds are fundamentally horribly insecure. My last policy on my bike only stipulated that the lock and fittings had to be of a certain grade. Nothing about any of the hinges or anything. At the end of the day, if your shed door is strong they would probably just rip the side off it in 1/4 of the time.

That's why I've got a motorbike lock & chain anchored to the ground.

Associate
You can get £10'ish Yale shed alarms from Amazon which when sensing motion set off a loud alarm inside the shed. You can also get a motion sensor for the shed which when set off sounds an alarm in your house, iirc about £20

Man of Honour
You can get £10'ish Yale shed alarms from Amazon which when sensing motion set off a loud alarm inside the shed. You can also get a motion sensor for the shed which when set off sounds an alarm in your house, iirc about £20

This is exactly what the bloke over the road had in his shed and the bike still got stolen.
I was on holiday and talking to a Police woman on my video doorbell and said I'd look through my CCTV when I got home.
About 12:55 early morning his security lights and alarm came on, no idea how long they were in the shed because they had come over his back neighbours fence and back out.
Everybody slept through it.

Associate
This is exactly what the bloke over the road had in his shed and the bike still got stolen.
I was on holiday and talking to a Police woman on my video doorbell and said I'd look through my CCTV when I got home.
About 12:55 early morning his security lights and alarm came on, no idea how long they were in the shed because they had come over his back neighbours fence and back out.
Everybody slept through it.
If they had 1 of the shed alarms that sound off inside the house then they must have been out as mine is extremely loud, it would definitely wake me up, i set it off once by accident and it actually gave my dog a panic attack!

Soldato
OP
I'm also going to add a Ring contact sensor to the door, so if it is opened my alarms will blare inside the house. If I'm not in the house, I'll at least be able to watch them carrying my bike away on the cams...

Back
Top Bottom