Shell petrol stations.

Associate
And I know everyone pretends they are rich on the forum, but quite a few people have a weekly budget and can't afford to stick 80 quid in the car at a time.

Think it's more a case of salary jobs. When i used to get paid weekly I'd put a week or two in as that was enough relative to my wage. When i went salary i generally had to keep spare float a month to get by which meant i could fill a full tank up and not have to think about it for a month as id generally have a months wage in my bank anyways.

Soldato
To be fair it is canny funny. I think my old leaky always smelling of petrol MGB with knackered fuel lines, which was one stray dog end away from a mushroom cloud, had unnoticeable evaporation.

Soldato
You could say that about any of asim's posts.
If you still have unresolved internal conflicts about some long gone discussion go back to that thread and reply again. No point whining in other threads about some old nonsense that you're still conscious about.

Soldato
It's ok guys, I'm that weirdo too. I put 20 litres (not pounds :D ) of diesel at a time in the Peugeot. Why? Well it's French and 10 years old, why would I put fuel in that I could potentially lose when it kills itself :D

In the Subaru I just put the fuel in that I need as it might sit for a few weeks at a time and I don't want stale V-Power in it.

Weird? Maybe. Bothered? No. :)

Soldato
Regularly see people putting 2-5 litres of fuel in their cars, many of which are big old V8s so it must only get them a couple of miles. When queuing in the petrol station I always pick the queue with the oldest / most battered cars as they're likely to put far less in the tank, and they also normally pay cash which makes the queue move a lot quicker.

Soldato
It's ok guys, I'm that weirdo too. I put 20 litres (not pounds :D ) of diesel at a time in the Peugeot. Why? Well it's French and 10 years old, why would I put fuel in that I could potentially lose when it kills itself :D
That's true, I still don't think my son's got over sticking 50 quids worth of petrol in his fiesta the day before his head gasket went!
I remember a time when people stuck 2 quid of petrol and a dash of oil in a motorbike tank to get them to work and back for the week.

Caporegime
@geekman there's a bloke near me drives an old RR v8. He only puts a tenner in at a time and fills up 3-4 times a week because he's convinced fuel goes off. There's no reasoning with the bloke when you explain the process takes a very long time!

Associate
Regularly see people putting 2-5 litres of fuel in their cars, many of which are big old V8s so it must only get them a couple of miles. When queuing in the petrol station I always pick the queue with the oldest / most battered cars as they're likely to put far less in the tank, and they also normally pay cash which makes the queue move a lot quicker.

Never thought of it like this, I will try this method in future!

Soldato
@geekman there's a bloke near me drives an old RR v8. He only puts a tenner in at a time and fills up 3-4 times a week because he's convinced fuel goes off. There's no reasoning with the bloke when you explain the process takes a very long time!

That would drive me insane: as a fellow RR V8 owner, I'd be filling up every few miles if I put a tenner in each time, even at the prices I pay over here! :p

Man of Honour
That's true, I still don't think my son's got over sticking 50 quids worth of petrol in his fiesta the day before his head gasket went!
I remember a time when people stuck 2 quid of petrol and a dash of oil in a motorbike tank to get them to work and back for the week.
back in the 80's my brother had to put 50p in to get hime to wok in a Rover P6.

Man of Honour
At the opposite end of the scale, my nearest Shell / BP garage is 20min from home so I fill up and take a couple jerry cans with me too so that I always have some spare at home for before/after a long trip etc. Saves time, hassle and so on.

I only ever buy vPower or similar.

So my lawnmower runs on vpower too :D

Associate
I just fully fill the tank each time, I don't try to get it to a round number as it goes on card and so makes little difference to me.

With regards to difference in cost through putting 25 litres or 50 litres in, perhaps some does evaporate or extra weight to carry around, how much extra fuel does it use calling into a petrol station twice as often anyway? Then there is the additional time it takes with putting in a small amount of fuel at a time, I'd much rather fully fill the tank and visit the petrol station less often.

Back
Top Bottom