Shell to re-launch V-Power imminently

Soldato
Even before I had my car remapped it sounded like a bag of spanners when running on M99 over a few tanks. Used to try different forecourts and Shell had the best responsiveness and economy so that's what I'm sticking with. I'd rather fill up with Sainsburys super than M99.

Soldato
Even before I had my car remapped it sounded like a bag of spanners when running on M99 over a few tanks. Used to try different forecourts and Shell had the best responsiveness and economy so that's what I'm sticking with. I'd rather fill up with Sainsburys super than M99.
You could tell with your hearing? Wow ok then.

We all use what we prefer. Does Sainsbury's do 99 Ron?

Soldato
You could tell with your hearing? Wow ok then.

We all use what we prefer. Does Sainsbury's do 99 Ron?
97 is the best they do, which seems a bit pointless really given manufacturers all seem to demand 95 or 98.

So they're selling a fuel that's excessive for normal 95 tuned cars and not quite enough to really unlock the benefits of 98 tuned cars.

Soldato
97 is the best they do, which seems a bit pointless really given manufacturers all seem to demand 95 or 98.

So they're selling a fuel that's excessive for normal 95 tuned cars and not quite enough to really unlock the benefits of 98 tuned cars.

Most SUL is 97, only M99 and Vpower is higher. I hear BP ultimate is 98 but the one local to me is 97..

Soldato

I actually find Esso premium the best on my gt86 even though it's only 97. For some reason it silences the loud fuel pump as well :)

Soldato
I actually find Esso premium the best on my gt86 even though it's only 97. For some reason it silences the loud fuel pump as well :)

You could tell that with your hearing? Wow ok then. :D

Fuel pump is a bit chirpier on Shell than it is on Esso, but Esso seemed to lack the get up and go that I got with other supers.

tef

tef

Associate
my work route includes A3 from london to M25. The tesco in new malden is doing 119.9p/L for M99. the shell at tolworth is doing 120.9 p/L on v-power. i will try some V-power for the time being. :D

Man of Honour
I've pretty much used Tesco 99 (in varying names) in all my cars over the past 10 years (Evo's, Type R's, S2000 etc) and never had a single issue. I've had rough running with BP ultimate.

Recently thought I'd read of Tesco 99 running hotter than Shell VPN+, causing valve issues and excess carbon deposits. Not sure about the trust in this, may ask my engine builder friend.

OcUK Staff
Some tuners swear by M99, other V99, use whichever you prefer or the one your tuner tells you to use.

I remember back in the Powerstation days, they did some knock resistance testing which was not for public knowledge, but as they are no longer around, but in short Vpower had the strongest resistance to knock and as such they rated it better than M99, those guys knew their stuff and had no affiliation with Shell or Tesco, so no reason to favour one over the other.

Man of Honour
My engine builder mate replied, he says VPN+ or whatever it's called is the better fuel but T99 is more than good enough to use in cars which require higher octane.

Man of Honour
Shell have started a contest to win multiple Driving Holidays if you fill up with £30 or more of V Power.

The app payment system won't dish out the codes to apply, so you have to march into the petrol station with your e-receipt and request a code leaflet :rolleyes:

Contest details: http://www.shell.co.uk/winaholiday

Anyway, I didn't know about all this and came home with 5 codes :D

Shell also describes why V power is better by citing their use of Dynaflex:

rps20171014_082115_382.jpg

Soldato
Shell have started a contest to win multiple Driving Holidays if you fill up with £30 or more of V Power.

The app payment system won't dish out the codes to apply, so you have to march into the petrol station with your e-receipt and request a code leaflet :rolleyes:

Contest details: http://www.shell.co.uk/winaholiday

Anyway, I didn't know about all this and came home with 5 codes :D

Shell also describes why V power is better by citing their use of Dynaflex:

rps20171014_082115_382.jpg
*Boosted compared to Shell's regular fuel.

They always make statements like that but never hang a number on it. Does it have double the cleaning agent? Ten times? ...or 10% more?

Soldato
I've not had any points offers in the app for a little while, I was getting new ones every week over the summer. I miss my extra 100 points when I put in 25 litres.......I was one of the ones who only filled up half a tank at a time to get more points :D

Soldato
OP
They always make statements like that but never hang a number on it. Does it have double the cleaning agent? Ten times? ...or 10% more?

It tells you on their V-Power page on the website.

Shell said:
Introducing our latest-generation Shell V-Power Unleaded, contains 3x more cleaning molecules than our regular Unleaded(1) fuel. The moment you start your car, this fuel helps to protect your engine as new Shell V-Power Unleaded is boosted with 30% more cleaning molecules than our previous formulation(2).

1. Compared to Shell's regular fuel. Helps to clean key fuel system components such as intake valves from the build up of performance robbing deposits. 3x more cleaning molecules does not result in 3x the cleaning power. Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style. No guarantees provided. See Fuels Help for more information.
  2. Compared to Shell's previous formulation of Shell V-Power Unleaded. Helps to clean key fuel system components such as intake valves and/or fuel injectors from the build up of performance robbing deposits. 30% more cleaning molecules does not result in 30% more cleaning power. Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style. No guarantees provided.

Shell say that on average V-Power will remove 60% of existing deposits over the first tankful.

Don
How's everyone finding the new Vpower? Car has been running crap for the last few weeks to the point I actually though there was something wrong with it, economy down 10-20%, running rough and lumpy throttle.

Filled it with T99 at the weekend and instantly it's like a new car, smooth power delivery, sounds better and just generally better running.

Soldato
When I went for a mapping session last month I was asked if I was running V-Power because it felt a bit short, it was freshly filled up that morning. Didn't push the timings as much as we were hoping for (safe mapping). Would they be distributing their winter blends already?

Man of Honour
Can't say I've noticed anything in my car but then it's barely used. I switched from T99 to VPN+ as I was told VPN+ is a better fuel and it doesn't burn as hot.

Back
Top Bottom