Shell to re-launch V-Power imminently

Man of Honour
Most likely just recommended for optimal MPG. It's probably better to have a car tuned for 95 if your using it every day TBH (because it's cheaper).

Octane is going to have very little real world affect on economy.

I highly doubt any production engine is going to be anywhere near knock limited at the sort of load/rpm an engine is going to be operating at during typical cruise conditions

Soldato
Mine actually gets a 10% mpg boost from going to vpower from 96 (20 to 22:D). How do the pay from your phone work if your not supposed to use mobiles on a forecourt?

Man of Honour
Mine actually gets a 10% mpg boost from going to vpower from 96 (20 to 22:D). How do the pay from your phone work if your not supposed to use mobiles on a forecourt?
Apparently it's ok as long as you've sat in the car waving your phone around, because that's different to doing it stood outside your car :confused:

It would be great for me as a biker no faffing about with my kit to go and pay but as I don't have a box to sit in I get shouted at.

Soldato
Apparently it's ok as long as you've sat in the car waving your phone around, because that's different to doing it stood outside your car :confused:

The guidance against using phones on forecourts is much more to do with your situational awareness than your phone being a potential ignition source. You're unlikely to be run down by another vehicle while sitting in the drivers sear of your car.

Think I'm going to try this app. I seem to remember trying it before, but not sure why I didn't bother with it...perhaps it wasn't available at any local stations. And now I can't set it up because of the problems with signing in and the fact that it says I already have an account, and I can't remember my security questions anyway :/

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem for me with fill up & go is that you need to pre determine how much fuel you might need and block that amount out of your paypal account, they will then refund the rest. I'd have to allow for up to £80 for the work Passat so when I top up my MX5 or the wife's Punto I could be waiting for a £50 refund each time. I haven't looked into Android Pay though, does that do the same thing?

Not sure I can be bothered with their Android app for trying to pay for fuel anyway as it is so damn flaky! Probably get pulled for driving off without paying!

Man of Honour
My bike runs totally differently on the Tesco stuff, feels rough as a bag of spanners. That said it's fine on V power or Tesco bog standard unleaded.

Associate
would it not be worth say filling up 1 tank of vpower for every 1/2/3 tanks of standard fuel to save money then get the additives still every so often ?

The extra few pence per litre is hardly worth worrying about...

My GT86 has the sensor for 98RON fuel so it is better to put vPower in than standard fuel. I put a tank of standard fuel in it from Texaco in as an experiment and there was a noticeable drop in throttle response as well as MPG circa 300 miles to a tank vs 340 miles to a tank.

Shawrey

Soldato
OP
Lots of people proven it's the same.

Along with people who deliver it

I'm not tom_e but do you fancy showing some of the proof? I know, as I said earlier, they're both refined at Essar Stanlow, but the two spec sheets are orders of magnitude different. V-Power has almost 10x the olefin content and M99 has more oxygenate content, for starters.

Soldato
Sigh. I'm going to close this can of worms.

Both refined at the same places. Additives added at the tanking phase.

Very minor differences.... If any. Dyno proven to be virtually the same performance.

Let's not get into it shall we?

Momentum just wins purely due to being 10-15p cheaper ;)

Caporegime
Uk fuel is a national pool as it's piped around the country from any refinery that the fuel blender wants it from.

So yes it's the same. Just like all beers are the same as they use the same water

Soldato
Very minor differences.... If any. Dyno proven to be virtually the same performance.

Dyno proven in what kind of cars on what kind of tune? I'll take my tuners word for it when he says the Shell is the better performing and more consistent fuel, probably knows something about it after tuning stupid cars for a living for 15 years and gaining an extremely good reputation. FWIW I had my car tuned on M99 because I'm a cheapskate, but I'm not a fanboy.

Soldato
Meh.

I also know a couple of tuners that prefer Momentum 99 over Vpower.

Tuners can be biased.

Look... I tend to stick to Momentum. Purely because it used to be on my route to work.

Recently I haven't been going to that way and the closest 99ron is Vpower, thus been using that. I dislike that half the time the pumps out of order (only one pump their had vpower) and is 12p more than Momentum.
I use it anyway as that's what the MPS is tuned too.

I feel no difference, no mpg difference.
I do however feel the difference in cost :p

Back
Top Bottom