Shogun

Soldato
OP
Finally started watching this last night, 2 episodes in only stopped as needed to go sleep, really grabbed me so far and was expecting to be brutal in places from comments here but still wasn't expecting that scene in the first episode.

Associate
The woman playing Mariko totally stole the show, outstanding performance that was head and shoulders above the rest, and that's not saying the rest was bad.

Terrible abrupt ending, yes, I read here that that is how it happened in the book, but there was definitely quite a few more episodes that could have been extrapolated without canon, rather than just doing the flash forward approach to "here how it all plays out"

Oh, and as others have said Toranaga was as brutal as the rest
he was torturing and killed profusely thruout the village in a pretense to find who torched the ship, but it was him.

Mariko was the only truely redeeming japanese character.

It was a really good series, slow in places, and then all hell would break lose for a bit. At times I did have problems figuring out actually who was connected to who.

Last edited:
Soldato
Binge watching this weekend. Up to episode 4, entertaining stuff but the actors lack the same presence as their eighties counterparts. To be fair though the cast for the original is something else.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Hmm watched first episode or 2 but sorta gave up on it since it did not quite grip me so much which is odd since I love the era and asian shows in general.

May revisit it but were spoilt for choice with tv series and great movies as always.

Soldato
OP
Finished it and what a series, got the same feeling as when I finish a great game and know it's done with, wished they would be more seasons to come but can't see them making it.

The sets / world building is some of the best in recent years especially for a TV show, in a way I'm glad FX did it and this didn't end up with say Amazon or HBO.

Soldato
Finished it tonight, overall a pretty good remake and would definitely have appreciated it more if I wasn't so familiar with the book or the original TV series.

Lot left out and a few changes but hardly surprising as they've condensed it down to ten episodes.

One thing though, occasionally Blackthorn comes across a bit awkward and bit of a buffoon, coupled with that accent and the way of talking I couldn't help think of bloody Boris Johnson.

Soldato
Finished it tonight, overall a pretty good remake and would definitely have appreciated it more if I wasn't so familiar with the book or the original TV series.

Lot left out and a few changes but hardly surprising as they've condensed it down to ten episodes.

One thing though, occasionally Blackthorn comes across a bit awkward and bit of a buffoon, coupled with that accent and the way of talking I couldn't help think of bloody Boris Johnson.

Exactly. The whole show was clearly just part of the campaign to return Boris to power when Sunak gets the boot.

Other half baked conspiracy theories are available.

Soldato
I really enjoyed the show and echo people’s thoughts about Mariko / Anna Sawai. The whole cast was great though. Hiroyuki Sanada is always top quality too.

I assumed there would be a second series, so disappointed to see it’s unlikely.

Blackthorne reminded me of the YouTube clip with the guy who was arrested and shouted about his ‘succulent Chinese meal’ :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato

Interesting. People seemed to assume that the lack of a direct sequel novel was too much of a barrier to a second season. But as there is some real history underlying the story, the writers could presumably use that as a framework, embellished with sub plots appropriate to the fictional characters in the show. Like how the Wars of the Roses was used to create Game of Thrones.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Interesting. People seemed to assume that the lack of a direct sequel novel was too much of a barrier to a second season. But as there is some real history underlying the story, the writers could presumably use that as a framework, embellished with sub plots appropriate to the fictional characters in the show. Like how the Wars of the Roses was used to create Game of Thrones.

No, "people" assumed that the producers would respect the source material and leave it at that.

Call him Tokugawa and we're good.

Other sites reporting the news:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom