Shooting Clays

Soldato
You'll be waiting a while :D:D

My father and friends have put in their renewals with ample time for them to process and have still ended up over running by 5-6months.

Here's to hoping for the 'upto 60 days' quoted... and that I still have an interest if it gets to that :p

Soldato
OP
Just pricing up .. 50 clays as a non member including gun rental £49 for me.. or £79 for the wife and hiring a single gun (have to reserve in advance).

Now doing the maths for membership.. Membership for both of us £100/year, £15 each for 50 clays, £6.5/25 cartridges, ~£50/yr licence, £1800 for a gun (assuming both use the same).
Factor a gun lasting years let’s say for licence and gun.. £180/year annualised.

Assuming 8 times a year.. for wife+me both that would work out as £89 a time.. not including gun cleaning kit etc.

Hmm..

Going with a mate that had their own gun - would need to check if covered by insurance - only costs me £32/session.

Ignoring the cartridge bag, clothes etc.

Boat fishing is normally £50-80 for offshore for the entire day.

Last edited:
Associate
Just pricing up .. 50 clays as a non member including gun rental £49 for me.. or £79 for the wife and hiring a single gun (have to reserve in advance).

Now doing the maths for membership.. Membership for both of us £100/year, £15 each for 50 clays, £6.5/25 cartridges, ~£50/yr licence, £1800 for a gun (assuming both use the same).
Factor a gun lasting years let’s say for licence and gun.. £180/year annualised.

Assuming 8 times a year.. for wife+me both that would work out as £89 a time.. not including gun cleaning kit etc.

Hmm..

Going with a mate that had their own gun - would need to check if covered by insurance - only costs me £32/session.

Ignoring the cartridge bag, clothes etc.

Boat fishing is normally £50-80 for offshore for the entire day.

Those non member prices seem rather steep.
At my local that would be £20 for 50 clays and £5 for a hire gun.

Soldato
OP
Took the Mrs along this morning - hired a 12 gauge 28" silver pigeon.

She did 50 clays and enjoyed it in the rain and wind. The gun to her was a little large - she can cope with the recoil but just handling and it was heavier than she was expecting.

I went on todo 100 clays, but had started to get a little tired from lack of food by 1200. Good time but tired.

Soldato
OP
May try and see if they have a 20 or 410 for the Mrs to try.

Only trouble is I've been eyeing up 12 gauges.. Blaser F3 30" 12 bore would be lovely.. F16 too but the hammers are not inline - and I'm a gadget freak in that sort of way..

Soldato
Remington 870s are great for game shooting if you have a time machine to take you back to before 1988 when they were neutered from five down to two rounds in the magazine tube.

For clay shooting where you often need a fast second shot on a missed clay (trap shooting) or a rapidly diverging going away pair, pump actions are a real handicap due the significant delay between shots and the front bead doing a ‘Z’ for Zorro as you rack the slide which makes retaining a decent sight picture night on impossible.

Gas semi autos are great if you have shoulder problems or are too slightly built to cope with a full day of shooting a 12 bore.

Associate
Hi have a full kit probably for sale inc 6 gun double lock cabinet which has an internal locking box probably inc 2nd pistol type safe also?
Fabarm H368 semi auto left handed but can shoot right as i used a right handed before. it's 30" barrel cased with all the bits multi choke.Laser cartridge to align with.safety flag cartridge.
Ugarchea(spanish) 28" SBS non ejector leather fore grip rubber slip on heel and trigger protector French polished wood work,snap caps, lined leather type slip.
Berreta team kit bag (big squarish deep bag)with compartment below to keep cartridges etc has cleaning kit in with rods/brushes,Pair of peltor ear muffs some glasses also pair of custom made in ear reed valved plugs(might fit?)Green leopard ones.Green shooting vest that is totally adjustable shed loads of pockets works for right or left shooters.
Leather cartridge bag (full of cartridges)Two whole trays of cartridges plus other boxes loose some for game as 6's and BB/AA's
More cleaning kit/oils also.

Put in for renewal but probably want half a dozen reports etc From quacks and i begrudge giving Quacks drippings of me end piece let alone more cash!
As Deemed Autistic now with Asperger's along with having Fibro/Raynauds and a small stroke(which quacks don't agree on but had all the symptoms ie face dropping etc but pretty sure she will add it)over being put on T HRT over my Pituitary tumour so bye time gone through that probably if give it to me will be 2025? and will have to move them to either a shop or someone elses cabinet!

So even though enjoyed it not been for a while as others went with either moved or departed!

So could put cash into my sea fishing(mind carpy fishing type gear to go also! as never go there either (Brand new JRC Bivvi!)

Caporegime
Used to do clays many years ago but then went onto smallbore target as preferred the chasing of perfection and accuracy.

About 9 years ago now, moved into fullbore (7.62mm) and started 1000yd iron sight, as really adore the precision and perfection of getting every part of your body in tune and calm to take the shot.

Soldato
OP
Used to do clays many years ago but then went onto smallbore target as preferred the chasing of perfection and accuracy.

About 9 years ago now, moved into fullbore (7.62mm) and started 1000yd iron sight, as really adore the precision and perfection of getting every part of your body in tune and calm to take the shot.

I did look at long range archery and shooting but the number of places that offer that are few and far between.

It appears .410 is considered 'accuracy' for shotguns as the cartridges have less shot thus you need a tighter group so it becomes more difficult with moving clays at range. Often touted as a beginner's gun due to the low recoil and lightness most experts see it as a skilled marksman instead. If you could have full chokes then it would be seriously difficult!

Invested in a shooting vest (£24 from decathlon). I may be tempted to part with my roland drum kit etc and put the funds towards something.

Caporegime
Yeah you do need to be dedicated to do long range target shooting.

I always go down to Bisley which is a two hour plus drive for me dependent upon traffic.

"Accuracy" per se, in LR target shooting is a bit of a misnomer, as you can buy straight from factory unmodified rifles with standard shop bought ammo that will easily produce a 10 inch grouping at 1000yards, the bulls eye in most comps is 10 inches across, so to put all your shots in the bulls eye with standard kit straight out of the factory, makes it all sound a bit easy, also don't forget you are allowed bipods to support the barrel and sandbags to support the rifle stock, so you are hardly holding the rifle at all almost, just resting it against your shoulder to take the recoil.

Start spending money on custom gun parts, custom ammo etc, and you can drop groupings to within a couple of inches or so size, so beginning to sound pretty easy yeah, hardly holding your rifle at all, resting it on bipods etc, hitting a ten inch target when you know your kit can group all its shots within 2 inches, should be a doddle right ......

The fun bit comes in when you start to realise that at 1000yards a 2 to 3 mph breeze (very soft breeze) will push a 7.62mm bullet around 33 inches away from the point you are aiming at, and that's only if the breeze is consistent at the same speed and same direction throughout the 1000 yards range..

It is far more common to have a left right breeze at the stand, a right to left breeze at the target butts, and possibly a head or tail wind, or more often both somewhere in between the two ends.

Then throw in mirages on a hot day that can put where you see the target meters away from where it actually is.

Then on top of all that with fullbore target rifle shooting telescopic sights are not allowed, your spotter can have a telescope to tell you where your shots hit, but you then have to adjust without the aid of even being able to see the actual target sometimes.

That is the challenge I adore and am addicted to almost :)

Associate
Well my renewal went in little while back near end of Feb had visit friday and renewing once back in office they said on tuesday i did ask if decide to sell so said let him know by tuesday will cancel and refund.

Had a price in mind for all my kit and shop is nearly offering me that without half the kit.

Soldato
I did look at long range archery and shooting but the number of places that offer that are few and far between.

It appears .410 is considered 'accuracy' for shotguns as the cartridges have less shot thus you need a tighter group so it becomes more difficult with moving clays at range. Often touted as a beginner's gun due to the low recoil and lightness most experts see it as a skilled marksman instead. If you could have full chokes then it would be seriously difficult!

Invested in a shooting vest (£24 from decathlon). I may be tempted to part with my roland drum kit etc and put the funds towards something.

The American National Skeet Shooting Association run skeet competitions in 12, 20, 28 and .410. Most shooters have 12g sketch gun and sets of insert tubes for the different smaller gauges.

Shooting such a 28” barrelled over and under sleeved down to .410 is very weird as they weight as much as a 32” trap gun due to the insert sleeves and there’s almost zero felt recoil. Unless you’re absolutely minted, you need to reload your own cartridges for the smaller gauges in the UK there’s a very limited choice in commercially available ammo and it’s very expensive.

Soldato
OP
Thinking about gun safe positions - naturally the attic is an attractive location - we have two block walls to choose from however the temps up there get hot in summer.

If I buy cartridges in bulk it’s cheaper and the natural option would be storing them up there, however with the heat/moisture they may become unreliable (gassing and condensation).

If I was to put the gun upstairs I’d put a drying agent in the safe too.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Soldato
Thinking about gun safe positions - naturally the attic is an attractive location - we have two block walls to choose from however the temps up there get hot in summer.

If I buy cartridges in bulk it’s cheaper and the natural option would be storing them up there, however with the heat/moisture they may become unreliable (gassing and condensation).

If I was to put the gun upstairs I’d put a drying agent in the safe too.

Any thoughts/experiences?
How accessible is the attic? Where I first got my certificate, really challenging access was actually discouraged as it discouraged you from putting the shotgun away quickly after use. Worth checking if they like that sort of location (all areas are a law unto themselves regarding requirements).

Soldato
OP
How accessible is the attic? Where I first got my certificate, really challenging access was actually discouraged as it discouraged you from putting the shotgun away quickly after use. Worth checking if they like that sort of location (all areas are a law unto themselves regarding requirements).

It’s easy enough with a lift ladder and loft boards.

Only issue I could see is our CH Boiler is up there on the outside wall.

Will check.

Soldato
I had my gun safe and ammo box raw-bolted into an outside in the under stairs cupboard in London and the MET FLO’s were entirely happy with it as it was very secure and hidden away from prying eyes.

I’d avoid the loft/attic even with a dehumidifier as shotgun ammo doesn’t like large temp changes.

Back
Top Bottom