Shooting Clays

Soldato
OP
I had my gun safe and ammo box raw-bolted into an outside in the under stairs cupboard in London and the MET FLO’s were entirely happy with it as it was very secure and hidden away from prying eyes.

I’d avoid the loft/attic even with a dehumidifier as shotgun ammo doesn’t like large temp changes.

Yeah my thinking - I can coach bolt in both locations. Only thing is my wine stock would have to move :D

Soldato
Yeah my thinking - I can coach bolt in both locations. Only thing is my wine stock would have to move :D
Again, seek your F/ELO's input on what fixings they like - they may prefer rawlbolts (though people seem to use the terms coach and rawl interchangeably especially when meaning coach screws rather than coach bolts!).

Associate
It’s easy enough with a lift ladder and loft boards.

Only issue I could see is our CH Boiler is up there on the outside wall.

Will check.

They don't like them in the loft for reason quoted already. you can bolt cabinet to non brick walls as long as secure so a partition type wall with wooden/timber struts and plaster board you take out a lareg area of plaster board and reinforce the timber can even add an area of thick plywood for cabinet to bolt to.
Main thing they like is out of prying eyes.Secure location ie behind doors/under stairs/basements/inside cupboards. They don't like Garages and lofts
And find a hiding place for keys that no one else knows of!

one thing to bare in mind Cabinets will extract the cold from somewhere?
They should make CPU/GPU coolers from Gun cabinets would never have a heat issue!!!
Reason to stabalise gun temp before putting it away esp if been out in the cold then car end up with damp/condensation causing the bluing to rust

Also if have a visit planned do not leave the keys or location with anyone else like someone did with there mum = SGC and guns taken away if have to request another appointment.

Soldato
Had a private lesson today, quite reasonable at £35 for an hour and around 30-40 clays with a bit of a natter.

The FLO is visiting on the 13th May and is already aware I have a safe securely installed. Does anybody know what the normal procedure is should the FLO be satisfied during his visit, will the licence be granted & given there & then? Or is there another short wait while more admin is done?

I would like to be able to attend the club that weekend for an open 70-bird shoot and/or possibly just use the Sport Trap. (On the 19th). There is no urgency on this at all! I happen to have a long weekend booked so using that Friday to purchase some new toys would be nice :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The FLO is visiting on the 13th May and is already aware I have a safe securely installed. Does anybody know what the normal procedure is should the FLO be satisfied during his visit, will the licence be granted & given there & then? Or is there another short wait while more admin is done?

I would like to be able to attend the club that weekend for an open 70-bird shoot and/or possibly just use the Sport Trap. (On the 19th). There is no urgency on this at all! I happen to have a long weekend booked so using that Friday to purchase some new toys would be nice :)

A mate was told that he guy could have the SGC in him but in the end although everything was perfect, it sill took a short period after.
I keep reading it all varies on the local firearms team.

Associate
Had a private lesson today, quite reasonable at £35 for an hour and around 30-40 clays with a bit of a natter.

When they visit they can say if recommend granted to you then you have to wait for them to go back to office which mine was friday and back in tuesday he then rang my refferee in mean time he told them would grant as happy which was last week

Soldato
When they visit they can say if recommend granted to you then you have to wait for them to go back to office which mine was friday and back in tuesday he then rang my refferee in mean time he told them would grant as happy which was last week

Thanks, seems subjective depending on the force (Thames Valley).

Won't count on it arriving by the end of the week (if approved) but will keep my eyes crossed :D

Soldato
OP
Hmm how to make the sport greener.. I interesting point from this that doesn’t say don’t but asks if there’s greener options: http://www.lead.org.au/fs/shootingranges.pdf

Interesting point about non lead shot having impurities leeching too.

Steel shot would be my preferred option but most barrels (even with steel shot proofing) seem prone to more damage. Most chokes in steel shot proofed shotguns aren’t steel shot proof which causes blowouts.
Steel shot doesn’t have the same mass as lead so travels a shorter distance. Which is normally ok for clays except longer distance shots.

Soldato
Thanks, seems subjective depending on the force (Thames Valley).

Won't count on it arriving by the end of the week (if approved) but will keep my eyes crossed :D

Thames Valley Target: 60 Days

Application received confirmation text message: 19/02/2019
Certificate Approved & Received: 13/05/2019

57 working days :)

(They were a bit booked up, called a fortnight or so before they were able to visit.)

Last edited:
Soldato
Tomorrow will be my third weekend on the trot shooting, quite enjoying it due to it not being a fitness related hobby for a change :D Building up the motor pattern of mounting so that it becomes second nature. A few 10's but also some stands I'd rather not recall!

I'd budgeted up to used Silver Pigeon territory for my first O/U and having tried both a Kofs Sceptre, ATA SP, a Winchester (unknown in May) and Beretta (of some kind back in February...) I swayed towards the ATA as a sensible decision though did opt for the Silverline variant (slightly higher grade stock and engraved action).

A colleague actually gifted me two unused skeets he'd picked up at competition after I'd purchased one myself :o so now I have three already :p

Grabbed some Laylvale Power Golds in a 24g 7.5 this week to try, currently using Power Blue in a 28g which I bought with the gun that do kick a fair bit but not as much as the Power Red's I sampled the guns with :eek:

Spoilt for choice in and around Bucks as for where to shoot, Drayton Parslow last weekend which is a 15 minute drive and offers a pretty varied 120 bird :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom