Shooting events, have they gone too far with technology?

Caporegime
OP
A quote about stabilisers these Olympians use:

If the shooting technique of the archer were perfect, no stabilisers would be required

So shouldn't those with better techniques be allowed to prevail over others instead of giving everyone a stabiliser and evening the field? why should those with a worse technique be given such an aid?

Associate
This is what I mean, it takes the skill out of it? so far all people have managed to prove is that you need to be physically strong (and obviously steady) to do it.

There is a lot more than just drawing a bow. Making sure you hit your anchor point right each time when you draw, your stance is right.

Would these elite archers be so good if the target was moved after every shot and their sight needing adjusting (using their own judgement) constantly? or for these guys to kill in a theatre of war do they need the enemy to be stood exactly 70yrds away to be accurate?

There is Field archery(which i want to try) shooting at targets that are different distances away & also they may be above or below you so you have to take elevation into account. Pin sights are order of the day for Field archery. There are 4 or 5 pins in the sight, so you set one for 20yds, one for 30yds etc etc.

Oh & as for war, Agincourt is the best demonstration of Archery. Long bows ruled field.

Caporegime
Late to this but LOL @ OP regards his assumption that after a few hours average people could hit 6s consistently at 70m. The vast majority of you wouldnt be able to pull the bow back to full draw after a few shots let alone hit the target consistently...

Ive been doing archery for 2 years now, and I doubt I could hit the target consistently at that distance let alone score well...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Cheers for the clarification.

In that case we can re-insert my point regarding the draw weight. To hold a 50lb force in one hand against a 4lb bow in the other and keep the whole thing steady to the order of a degree in any direction is nothing short of incredible.

For the record, it should be readily apparent that I don't know a great deal about archery, but I do know a fair bit about physics, classical mechanics and maths, which is what we're really arguing about here in terms of the "ease" of doing any of this.

My point was that would be the easy part. A 6 pound bow really isn't much to hold out, I can hold 5KG out fine no problems. 48.5 pounds to draw it back isn't *that* much either, it's what, 22KG? Most adult males should really be able to pull 22KG with one arm.

I'm not talking about shooting it well, on target or anything accuracy related, as that will take skill obviously. But that amount of weight really isn't heavy.

Soldato
Just watched the mens skeet final (clay pigeons)

mighty impressive shooting from the yank and a new olympic record 25/25 in the final and 148/150 targets overall.

hes currently in the us army, was shocked at his scoring as usually the yank army hit the wrong targets :p

Associate
I'm not talking about shooting it well, on target or anything accuracy related, as that will take skill obviously. But that amount of weight really isn't heavy.

Apart from the fact that all that force is being concentrated on the first joint of your index and middle finger of your drawing hand. A lot of it is about timing though, you need to get on target and shoot before the physical effects of holding a drawn bow exacerbate any natural movement.

I shot competitively at junior level (U18) with a 30lb draw weight bow and it ain't easy!!

Caporegime
My point was that would be the easy part. A 6 pound bow really isn't much to hold out, I can hold 5KG out fine no problems. 48.5 pounds to draw it back isn't *that* much either, it's what, 22KG? Most adult males should really be able to pull 22KG with one arm.

It is a lot after just a few arrows, if you are not conditioned to it, one of my mates whos a fitness instructor cant pull my bow back and its only at around 36pounds for my bow length/draw length - thats nothing compared to the 50+ these Olympians pull...

I just dont think you have a real idea what you are trying to ruminate...

Soldato
Apart from the fact that all that force is being concentrated on the first joint of your index and middle finger of your drawing hand. A lot of it is about timing though, you need to get on target and shoot before the physical effects of holding a drawn bow exacerbate any natural movement.

I shot competitively at junior level (U18) with a 30lb draw weight bow and it ain't easy!!

I don't think 50 pounds is much, never mind 30 pounds.

It is a lot after just a few arrows, if you are not conditioned to it, one of my mates whos a fitness instructor cant pull my bow back and its only at around 36pounds for my bow length/draw length - thats nothing compared to the 50+ these Olympians pull...

Being a fitness instructor doesn't exclude you from being weak though does it? A fitness instructor is going to instruct people on fitness, which usually revolves around working with little to no weight and cardio based exercises.

I just dont think you have a real idea what you are trying to ruminate...

Why?

Caporegime
Because anyone thats picked up a bow setup for competition weight wont think its anywhere as easy as you think it is to full draw. From what youve said, it doesnt sound like youve ever picked up a bow, yet everyone that has, has advised you that your assumption is wrong. We really cant make it any more obvious that your guesswork is fundamentally flawed

P.S. I mentioned the fitness instructor just as an example of a better-than-average joe...

Soldato
Because anyone thats picked up a bow setup for competition weight wont think its anywhere as easy as you think it is to full draw. From what youve said, it doesnt sound like youve ever picked up a bow, yet everyone that has, has advised you that your assumption is wrong. We really cant make it any more obvious that your guesswork is fundamentally flawed

The thing is, I don't need to pick up a bow to know that I can hold 6 pounds at full extension, and pull 22KG with one arm.

P.S. I mentioned the fitness instructor just as an example of a better-than-average joe...

At what, fitness?

Associate
I don't think 50 pounds is much, never mind 30 pounds.

I wasn't saying 30lbs was much, I was saying was that it wasn't easy at 30lbs but most of these guys are drawing almost twice as much. As I shot mostly indoor on a 20m range 50lbs was just unnecessary.

As you say, you probably could do it, but could you do it repeatedly? Could you manage the amazing consistency required to be a top level archer...No you couldn't, otherwise you'd be in the team.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't saying 30lbs was much, I was saying was that it wasn't easy at 30lbs but most of these guys are drawing almost twice as much. As I shot mostly indoor on a 20m range 50lbs was just unnecessary.

Well of course, I'm not saying I think I'd be a great shooter, I just know I wouldn't find the holding and drawing part hard.

Caporegime
The thing is, I don't need to pick up a bow to know that I can hold 6 pounds at full extension, and pull 22KG with one arm.

Which is great, but worthless if you can't then accurately fire.

I bet I can throw a javelin. It's a doddle. You just hold it in your hand, swing your arm, and let go. Job done. I bet I could run the 100m. I'd do it in 20s, but hey, no matter. I bet I could bomb off the 10m platform in the pool.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
But that was based on you claiming holding 6 pounds at arm's length would be hard, as well as pulling with 70 pounds of force.

Only Compund goes up to 70lbs and that is because they have a 60-80% let off so you can hold it at full draw. Holding a 40lb recurve bow at full draw is hard work, much more so than lifting a 40lb dumbbell because you are drawing it across your body rather than lifting it up.

Bear in mind that the 15 arrow Olympic shoot is designed specifically to make a more interesting spectacle, a competition shoot can be 12 dozen arrows, so you need to draw that weight 144 times...

But if you want to think it is easy without ever picking up a bow then go for it :D

Associate
Only Compund goes up to 70lbs and that is because they have a 60-80% let off so you can hold it at full draw. Holding a 40lb recurve bow at full draw is hard work, much more so than lifting a 40lb dumbbell because you are drawing it across your body rather than lifting it up.

Bear in mind that the 15 arrow Olympic shoot is designed specifically to make a more interesting spectacle, a competition shoot can be 12 dozen arrows, so you need to draw that weight 144 times...

But if you want to think it is easy without ever picking up a bow then go for it :D

Shooting 6 dozen is hard work and then throw in a windy day, I was knackered. Plus walking the 60yds to go get the arrows as well.

This format is a great idea. Brilliant to watch.

Back
Top Bottom