Shooting events, have they gone too far with technology?

Soldato
Don't forget your also pulling with only 3 fingers and not having your shoulders right, your pulling with your arms and not using the muscles in your back.

Only Compund goes up to 70lbs and that is because they have a 60-80% let off so you can hold it at full draw. Holding a 40lb recurve bow at full draw is hard work, much more so than lifting a 40lb dumbbell because you are drawing it across your body rather than lifting it up.

Bear in mind that the 15 arrow Olympic shoot is designed specifically to make a more interesting spectacle, a competition shoot can be 12 dozen arrows, so you need to draw that weight 144 times...

But if you want to think it is easy without ever picking up a bow then go for it :D

Oh come on, give me some credit. I'm not just picking up a 40 pound dumbbell off the floor and going "yep, can do that".

Bent over rows are used by people who do archery to strengthen the same muscles they use for drawing a bow back. I can draw a 20KG plate back with 2 fingers very easily (doing a bent over row). I can do it with 30KG, it's not really hard. :confused:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Shooting 6 dozen is hard work and then throw in a windy day, I was knackered. Plus walking the 60yds to go get the arrows as well.

This format is a great idea. Brilliant to watch.

Yeah the 15 shoot format is brilliant, makes it actually reasonable to watch!

Associate
If it's so easy, why not go and actually do it?

I'm amazed at OP's keyboard warrior skills - It's so easy, I don't even have to try it to know it's easy...

Soldato
If it's so easy, why not go and actually do it?

I'm amazed at OP's keyboard warrior skills - It's so easy, I don't even have to try it to know it's easy...

I don't think you know what "OP" means, and I also think you can't really read properly. I haven't said archery was easy, I was responding to some one who was claiming holding 6 pounds outstretched is hard, and that drawing back 70 pounds of force was hard and incredible if anyone can do it, as if it's some sort of feat of strength.

I pointed out that holding the bow and pulling the bow backwards would be the easiest part of it.

Soldato
I only brought the numbers into it in the context of it making the aiming that bit more difficult.

And you berate others for not being able to read...

Which was the whole point of my post, that I think the holding and drawing would be the easiest part.

*facepalm*

Soldato
The whole point of archery is to hit the target accurately. Yes you personally may think that you can draw a bow back easily, well done you, now hit the target consistently 24 times in a row at 70m.

There is absolutely no point in you argueing that only one aspect of something is easy. That's like saying I have all the ingredients to bake a delicious cake, but I don't know how to work an oven.

Soldato
The whole point of archery is to hit the target accurately. Yes you personally may think that you can draw a bow back easily, well done you, now hit the target consistently 24 times in a row at 70m.

There is absolutely no point in you argueing that only one aspect of something is easy. That's like saying I have all the ingredients to bake a delicious cake, but I don't know how to work an oven.

I never implied I could hit the target, I in fact stated that I very likely couldn't.

Again, my point was about Vonhelmet's implication that the holding of 6 pounds and drawing back with 70 pounds force was incredible.

Soldato
Again, my point was about Vonhelmet's implication that the holding of 6 pounds and drawing back with 70 pounds force was incredible.

His point was that it was incredible to be able to hit the target consistently while drawing back 70lbs.

He did not just say the fact that they are able to draw back a bow is some sterling achievement in itself.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
To be honest just drawing a 70lb bow takes quite a bit of effort, especially the number of times in a normal competition, I don't think I could do it, my bow only has a 38lb draw.

V F

V F

Soldato
I used to do this in the early 90's when growing up. As a hobby. Was hella fun. Funnily enough it all inspired by the Costner film. Occasionally the club used to arrange the outdoor archery but it eventually got closed down due to a stingy woman and her land.

Started out with a recurve then eventually to a compound. Though I only had the aluminium arrows. Sadly once my dad had a heart attack mid 90's, it phased out.

I was shocked how much it had changed since then. It used to be just the huge stabiliser bar. When did the mini V part come in?

Back
Top Bottom