Shoplifting and shoplifters-the nerve of some of them

Man of Honour
Common slang for little finger.

I was aware of that, it’s in common use in the U.S., my friend in Tampa has a daughter who is now a Sheriffs Deputy in the Pinellas County P.D., when we were leaving his house after a 4th of July party years ago, little Melissa made me swear that I’d come back to America, with a pinky promise.
I didn’t equate Raymond’s post with a little finger, as he said that he looped the clear plastic bag under his pinky, with his other shopping.
I have difficulty lifting one bag of shopping with five fingers, never mind looping a couple of bags around my little finger, way to go Raymond.

Soldato
Technically that is not shoplifting as theft (legally speaking) require the act of dishonesty + appropriation. If it's merely appropriation then everything we picked up would be classed as theft.

p.s. I have done that too, when i was in uni I went out shopping and had loads of bags on me, went to a Tesco Express on the way home to get a few things for dinner, so the intention was only a few things and didn't get a basket. One item I had was some mushrooms and I put them in those semi clear plastic bags. Then I loop them under my pinky….with my other shopping. So when I went to the check out and put all the items down on the conveyor belt I just forgot I had those mushrooms under my pinky. Paid for the rest and walked home, only when I got back I noticed these mushrooms hanging on with all my other shopping.

pps, the maximum sentence for theft is 7 years.

I know I've done similar back when self scan tills first came out and they were a bit temperamental. I'd scanned a couple of multipacks of crisps in amongst other shopping. It was only when checking the receipt later on that I realised it hadn't charged me for two multipacks of crisps.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure our prisons are of a better standard than most of the world. Prisons in parts of Europe, canada etc are probably better but the rest of the americas, africa, asia, russia are surely much much worse.

I live in Thailand for example. Do you have any idea how much worse prison life is here compared to the UK. Most inmates would legitimately see time in a UK prison as a holiday comparatively.
What a bizarre reply, yes I am aware prisons in other parts of the world especially those in less developed countries are really really grim doesn’t make our butlins though no matter how many time they write it in the daily mail. What’s your point?

As a side note horrible prison conditions don’t work to reduce crime much like the death penalty, not that this is the point we were discussing.

Soldato
Shoplifters probably realise that there are basically zero consequences for them, so if they lack morality then there's no reason not to.

Police and courts aren't really interested, and as shop staff are specifically told not to intervene there's really nothing stopping them.

Soldato
Shoplifters probably realise that there are basically zero consequences for them, so if they lack morality then there's no reason not to.

Police and courts aren't really interested, and as shop staff are specifically told not to intervene there's really nothing stopping them.

The police and courts are interested, they just don’t have the resources to deal with it.

Associate
Changed the lambda sensors in an is300 exhaust with the help of liberal amounts of penetrating oil about 8 years ago.

Took it for a test drive to Sainsbury's to get some lunch. Arrived and got out of car and could immediately smell something was wrong. Looked under car and heat shield was smoking. Ran into shop and grabbed an armful of water bottles from the meal deal isle and legged it back outside followed closely by a confused security guard.

After he saw me throwing bottles of water underneath the car he didn't seem too bothered, but I did go back in and pay for them.

Associate
OP
The same guy in the OP's now looking at burgalary now because he went behind the till and he came back agaon yesterday morning to try the samething but he didn't get away with anything this time. Some prat working on the kiosk door left a big hole in it so anybody can just stick their arm through the hole and unlock the door.
There's also the matter of:-
1. keeping the back gate open for the delivery drivers/food pick ups/Hermes lorry all day. An armed robber might be in wait and then take the chance (it's only a matter of time).
2. somebody looking over your shoulder while you enter the pin number to go round the back area.

Soldato
Back when I worked in retail someone picked up one of the display model Sony TVs and walked out with it. I also once caught a guy using a screwdriver from the Tools aisle to open a security box of a PS3 game because he said he "wanted to read the manual" before he ran off. Ironically it was Grand Theft Auto 4.

It's still considered a crime in progress?

Doesn't mean it warrants an immediate response. It lands in a queue with the hundreds of other jobs and in reality will be allocated for follow-up enquiries unless there's some reason it needs attendance there and then.

now it's all reactive policing but only if the crimes in a well off area.

A substantial amount of what the police are dealing with isn't crime. There's also a nasty bug going around at the moment that is decimating what little resources are left.

Caporegime
A substantial amount of what the police are dealing with isn't crime. There's also a nasty bug going around at the moment that is decimating what little resources are left.
covid excuse for policing? how long have they stopped attending burglaries for unless your wealthy? must be at least a decade and about 2 decades since they used to patrol the streets either on foot or in a car.
I barely even see specials these days bet they are trapped in an office too

Soldato
I was aware of that, it’s in common use in the U.S., my friend in Tampa has a daughter who is now a Sheriffs Deputy in the Pinellas County P.D., when we were leaving his house after a 4th of July party years ago, little Melissa made me swear that I’d come back to America, with a pinky promise.
I didn’t equate Raymond’s post with a little finger, as he said that he looped the clear plastic bag under his pinky, with his other shopping.
I have difficulty lifting one bag of shopping with five fingers, never mind looping a couple of bags around my little finger, way to go Raymond.

Im guessing only the light bag of little mushrooms was hooked on the pinky, the other bags on the other fingers.

Man of Honour
Im guessing only the light bag of little mushrooms was hooked on the pinky, the other bags on the other fingers.

Sounds good enough for me, anyone born and bred in South London, (like myself)*, will usually have it right.
* Actually born on the North side of Rotherhithe Tunnel, but raised on the South side.

Soldato
Was in a shop with my wife and 2 kids and bought a load of toys. The girl at the till asked me if I wanted a bag, I said no as most places charge for them now. She asked if I wanted a receipt, I said yes.

I got to the exit and the girl at the door asked to see my receipt. I had to dig it out from my own shopping bag which required a lot of fumbling about while nearby shoppers seemed to enjoy the spectacle. I asked her if she would've asked me if I had their carrier bag, and she said no.

So next time spend the 5p per bag tax on shoplifter checking I guess, or at least mention at the till "by the way, if you don't buy a bag, you'll be asked for proof of purchase on the way out" so I could at least have had it handy!?

Soldato
I once worked for an online gambling company where we had a staff area with massive tv and a PS4 and an Xbox One, all inside a secured building.

One of the CS staff come one evening and asked me if we've anyone new in my team as there was someone new in the break area. We hadn't and only having 2 teams in I went for a look.

Turns out someone had got in, sat on the sofa playing xbox for 20 mins and then just picked it all up and walked out with it.

Turns out we'd just had a new cleaner who had been there for about 3 days, i'm guessing it had something to do with her but could never prove it.

The balls on criminals just doesn't shock me anymore! Nor does the stupidity of people who work at places for not noticing things or not taking action when they do notice them.

Soldato
There used to be a prolific family of ethnic descent in my town. Had about 12 kids. They'd all walk into the local Asda & the kids would scatter in all directions, clearly as a distraction. Everytime mum/dad were caught lifting security & even police were hit with a barrage of "no english" or "you're racist".

Eventually the store banned them from going in and not long later they disappeared from the town.

Which ethnicity were they?

Caporegime
:confused: SPCs wear the same uniform as regular PCs, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
it literally says PCSO on the uniform? or "civil enforcement officer" or whatever the other ones are I've seen in town

specials don't even have the full powers of the police? they are only allowed to detain you for 30minutes or something and if a real cop hasn't showed up in that time you can pretty much just walk off?

how can they have the "exact same uniform" with no way of telling them apart?

doesn't it usually say "police community support officer" ?

ahh special police constable are different according to google but that's not what I was thinking of... my bad

Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) work with police officers and share some, but not all of their powers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom