Shops refusing to take £50 notes

Associate
It's just moron shop owners, if they can't be bothered to spend the £25 on a uv checker then thats there own fault for getting scammed. £50 for a £1 butty isn't ridiculous either, money's money the person behind the till is there to server people not pass judgement on how much they pay with.

Caporegime
tbh... it shouldn't be a problem at all in an independent take away or sandwich business at lunch time

how many people pay for their late night kebab or their BLT with a credit card - these places have loads of cash on site - paying with a 50 isn't going to cause them to use up any more coins than paying with a 5... and they likely have a few hundred in the till at any time

Soldato
It's just moron shop owners, if they can't be bothered to spend the £25 on a uv checker then thats there own fault for getting scammed. £50 for a £1 butty isn't ridiculous either, money's money the person behind the till is there to server people not pass judgement on how much they pay with.
I'm not stating it as fact, but it has been said already in this thread that £50 notes don't have a UV watermark

Soldato
I don't think I've ever actually held a £50 note, so I wouldn't know... but Scottish money is ANNOYING! sure, pay for Scottish stuff with English money, but get back here and try to buy English stuff? not happening (at most places)... They may as well have travel kiosks on the border to change money over!
I once had an American come to my work and paid with 3 £100 notes, I had never seen one before let alone 3!

Thankfully his total was only a few pounds short of £300.
But still had to get my boss lol.
Wow didn't even know there were £100 notes! are you sure he wasn't scamming you? :p

Soldato
its just the inbred ***** scum who inhabit the third world country that is the rest of the UK outside London tend to be suspicious of what they believe to be large sums of money - £50 likely buys you several houses in some northern pit villages
You can tell this guy was a cashier once. It's the empathy which gives it away.

Associate
Most retail floats are between £75 and £125, most small shops will be less and struggle for changes generally.

Shops are also scared of £50 as you don't see them and they are easily fake.

Man of Honour
I think the UK isn't too bad for the most part, I know in Spain they can be incredibly arsey about giving change, even in supermarkets. e.g. buy something for €8.41 and they will look at you funny if you try to pay with a €10 note.

To be fair £50 notes are extremely rare (in normal circulation i.e. not people deliberately taking out cash to buy a car or whatever), I'm 30 and I've probably only ever seen a couple in my life so I doubt I could spot a dodgy one. Kinda makes sense actually that the largest denomination would be so rare as you will never be given it in change and ATMs don't generally give them out either.

Last edited:
Associate
If its a small independent shop then i'd understand them not wanting to take 50 quid. they might not have the change, they might just not feel comfortable with it.. and tbh if its less than fiv quid, paying with a fifty seems rather suspect.

Same in the states with a 100 dollar bill. I'd expect any large store to accept it no questions asked.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
My float in the morning will be £150. I'll have enough problems with people paying for their Sun or Mirror with twenties without some moron handing me a fifty for 10 Mayfair and having to raid my precious fivers* to give them enough change.

You know that look you give the cashier when they give you a handful of change and they apologise for not having any fivers? Well that's just the same look we're giving you when you hand us a large denomination note for a newspaper or Mars bar.

*There's never any more than £100 of fivers in circulation in the whole UK at any time. Ask anyone.

Soldato
Hehe, fivers can be like gold dust.

So many people want them and not enough come back the other way. Then that knocks onto the £2 and £1 coins because you need to give change for a large note somehow...

I blame cash machines for not giving out fivers tbh.

Associate
You know that look you give the cashier when they give you a handful of change and they apologise for not having any fivers? Well that's just the same look we're giving you when you hand us a large denomination note for a newspaper or Mars bar.

*There's never any more than £100 of fivers in circulation in the whole UK at any time. Ask anyone.

As a part-time tesco cashier, this.

Soldato
My float in the morning will be £150. I'll have enough problems with people paying for their Sun or Mirror with twenties without some moron handing me a fifty for 10 Mayfair and having to raid my precious fivers* to give them enough change.

You appear to have over estimated the number fivers in circulation by a factor of 10 :p

Personal favourite however is some pays for their shopping generating 8 or 9 quid change and you hand it back in pound coins as that's all you have.

'You got any fivers mate?'

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Soldato
Loads of places take them

its just the inbred ***** scum who inhabit the third world country that is the rest of the UK outside London tend to be suspicious of what they believe to be large sums of money - £50 likely buys you several houses in some northern pit villages

Are you a Londoner?...
If so, terrible attitude :(

Soldato
I find it very weird that £50 notes are so scarce, €50 notes are bog standard here and would have thought £50 notes would be common enough in England. Guess it's because you're not ripped off to the same extent as us everywhere you go :(

With regards to the op, if a shop refused to take my money I'd leave whatever goods I'd gathered at the cash desk, walk away and spend it elsewhere. Money is money regardless of what form it takes (so long as it's legal tender for the respective country).

I do hate it though when people buy tickets at the box office with €100 notes though, cleans out the float instantly first thing in the morning :(

Soldato
Could be there was a threat of forged notes at the time.

Currently in one supermarket at least there's a crackdown on signature authorised cards for purchases over a certain value. They have to now be authorised by the bank over the phone. That's due to some high losses on signature authorised card transactions (mostly foreign cards and some messed up PIN cards use this kind of authorisation now).

I think it was actually something like the fact that based on amount of real notes versus fake notes in circulation, the £50 note had the highest percentage of fakes IIRC.

Soldato
It's just moron shop owners, if they can't be bothered to spend the £25 on a uv checker then thats there own fault for getting scammed.

Not going to do any good, as others have pointed out.

On a £50 note you check:
-There is a head in the window when backlit.
-The foil strip is embedded in the note (back-light required).
-The hologram is actually a hologram.
-The words "Bank of England" are in raised lettering.

Associate
I once had a guy pay for a £2.50 drink with a £50. I gave him the change in large notes.
He asked me for change but I said I didnt have anything less then what I gave him (really I couldnt be bothered messing about with loads of change)
It turns out that the guy is a known scammer who pays with a £50 note and then when he asks for change trys to confuse you and can end up with an extra £10 or so.

The guy had scammed a couple of places before he tried with us and the other places had just started phoneing everyone about the scam.

Associate
I was in Tesco a while back queuing to pay when the couple in front handed over a £50 note to pay for their 40 odd quids worth of shopping. We had to stand there for a few minutes while the cashier called over the manager to double check that the note was authentic. No idea if this was company policy or what

Back
Top Bottom