Should i get a motorcycle to combat costs?

Caporegime
get a bike,simply untouchable in running costs compared to a car

£7 to fill up my tank from reserve and thats on a 1 litre sportsbike

a simple 125cc costs £16 a year road tax,£23 mot,and im having a guess at £300 insurance

Soldato
get a bike,simply untouchable in running costs compared to a car

£7 to fill up my tank from reserve and thats on a 1 litre sportsbike

a simple 125cc costs £16 a year road tax,£23 mot,and im having a guess at £300 insurance

£7 to fill the tank? That's tiny! How many miles do you get out of that?

Soldato
I've sold my car recently. Got sick of tax mot costs all the time and high insurance cost to.

I reckon i'd wanna change to a bike. I don't care about ferrying people around.

Arn't bike licences expensive though? Like grand+?

I wouldn't mind riding a 125cc You can get some really good performing ones too.

Can you do a much cheaper bike licence?

Caporegime
I've sold my car recently. Got sick of tax mot costs all the time and high insurance cost to.

I reckon i'd wanna change to a bike. I don't care about ferrying people around.

Arn't bike licences expensive though? Like grand+?

I wouldn't mind riding a 125cc You can get some really good performing ones too.

Can you do a much cheaper bike licence?

shouldnt cost a grand even at todays rip off prices,around £400-£500 for an intensive coarse maybe?

Soldato
If you get a bike for the wrong reasons there's every chance you'd regret it. If you keep the car and its raining you'll use the car. If its cold you'll use the car. If you want to get a few things from the shop on the way home you'll use the car and so on. All you'll have is extra bills.

Get into bikes for the right reasons and none of those scenarios will stop you using the bike.

Soldato
£7 to fill a tank ? i think yer talking out yer backside . My lads 125 costs £12 and my Tuono costs £17 and its known to have a small tank . And that £17 does 90 miles . Dont you have a zx10? or do you ?

Associate
If you get a bike for the wrong reasons there's every chance you'd regret it. If you keep the car and its raining you'll use the car. If its cold you'll use the car. If you want to get a few things from the shop on the way home you'll use the car and so on. All you'll have is extra bills.

Get into bikes for the right reasons and none of those scenarios will stop you using the bike.

Wish my other half saw it like this. Every morning when the alarm clock goes off, she sits bolt upright and stares out the window to see if it's raining. Then the conversation goes pretty much like this :

Her: take the car, its raining.
Me: that's not rain, its drizzle.
Her: take the car, I can get bus.
Me: no I am going on bike, that's why I bought waterproofs.
Her: you will get soaked, take the car ffs.
Me: I don't care, I am going on bike, I like going on bike so shut up about it ffs!
Her: stop arguing about and take the damned car.
Me: you stop arguing cos I ain't taking it.

and that's EVERY time there's a bit of the wet stuff on the bedroom window. Think she wants to turn me into a fair weather biker :D

Man of Honour
Wait....what?!
£120 on a helmet, jacket, trousers, boots and gloves?.... They'll dissolve in the rain right?
I spend around £120 on gloves alone and they're not fancy.

Stupid amounts.

I just wear work boots. Fabric jacket of ebay with amour(think it was £50), helmet(£45) in the sales cheaper pair off amour gloves in the reduced bin.

Later on I bought some Kevlar jeans with amour.

You do not have to spend insane amounts on protective gear at all.
I've seen 2nd hand good quality jackets go for £15 on the bay. Although I wouldn't buy a second hand helmet.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes it can be sweaty, fabrics are better in that regard.

However I don't use it for commuting and even if I did. I get sweaty at work and don't wear a suit.

I expect people just leave suit at work and change.

Caporegime
£7 to fill a tank ? i think yer talking out yer backside . My lads 125 costs £12 and my Tuono costs £17 and its known to have a small tank . And that £17 does 90 miles . Dont you have a zx10? or do you ?

Whats this hate?:eek:

its £7 from reserve remember not completely empty and yes i have an 04 zx10r,its ONE among FOUR other bikes i own

if your lads bikes a two stroke then it wastes a lot of unburnt petrol compared to a four stroke

Soldato
Whats this hate?:eek:

its £7 from reserve remember not completely empty and yes i have an 04 zx10r,its ONE among FOUR other bikes i own

if your lads bikes a two stroke then it wastes a lot of unburnt petrol compared to a four stroke

zx10 has 17 litre tank same as the tuono if you put in £7 that = 5 litres of fuel giving you a 12 litre reserve . so i go back to my previous comment .

The 125 is a suzuki Gz125 which is a 4 stroke but that has no relation to how much you put in the tank .

So you zx10 is broken or you dont know how much fuel yer bike takes (or not used to filling one up ;) ) or you have a magic fuel pump that gives you 12 litres for £7

Soldato
It's £7 to fill it up or trip the pump lever from reserve,I fill up at Asda,you must fill up at the dearest filling station in England?

Ok firstly here is the asda fuel link http://your.asda.com/fuel-prices lets work on a figure of £1.38 a litre

5 litres of unleaded (not premium ) would = £6:90 (as close as i can get to £7)

Your tank holds 17 (seventeen) litres so given a generous 3 litres for reserve that leaves you 9 litres short of a full tank !

5 litres on a 175bhp 2004 zx10 and lets say a limp wristed 35mpg would get you about 40 miles

Back
Top Bottom