Should i get a motorcycle to combat costs?

Man of Honour
When I used to work at Hell on Earth (I mean Toys R Us..) in the distribution center, we weren't forced to wear steel toe caps, because as said above it can act like a vice or crush toes if something were to drop on it.

Then you're managers were idiots, not surprising at toupee r us and H&S would have had a field day.

Steel toe caps do not act like a vice at all.

Anything which could apply taht pressure would leave nothing of your foot left anyway.

And well you believing it........

Soldato
Yup my dad had a nasty accident in 2004 and the impact almost severed the lower part of his leg. His biking boots saved the lag from severing. However, the impact still turned his lower leg to pate (was a combined 100mph impact), and his ankle bone has not regenerated and is so weak he still has to walk with a crutch. That is 8 years later.

I used to work in a factory and I was once told by the safety man that in a side impact the toe cap acts like a sharp vice and can amputate toes. He could have just been scare mongering though! :p

He said that because they are only really designed for things falling on top of them, side crushes are their weak point (anyone in the know care to clarify?).

Also work boots probably wont offer any protection from your ankle/foot being over extended/rotated either.

I'm a big advocate of wearing full biking gear, but it does not have to cost the earth, but quality gear does help if you can afford it. My mate dropped his GS on the autobahn and went skidding down the road (was wet and a lorry driver cut him up) and his gear saved his skin that day.

I cringe when I see people riding in track suits or jeans or shorts/t-shirts and after seeing a few in physio rehab where my dad used to go it is scary how much damage a road can do to your body if you are not protected, even at 30mph.

Buff

When I used to work at Hell on Earth (I mean Toys R Us..) in the distribution center, we weren't forced to wear steel toe caps, because as said above it can act like a vice or crush toes if something were to drop on it.

Would recommend proper bike boots to anyone though, ankles are the trickiest things to fix :p

Busted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2005_season)#Steel_Toe-Cap_Amputation

Wiki said:
and even using a blade attachment did not work

Associate
dare i say that on my bike i wear nothing more than a helmet and a pair of thin motocross gloves

well i do wear hi top trainers too that would probably fall off due to not being on tight enough

safety first eh!

Soldato
Then you're managers were idiots, not surprising at toupee r us and H&S would have had a field day.

Steel toe caps do not act like a vice at all.

Anything which could apply taht pressure would leave nothing of your foot left anyway.

And well you believing it........

Got it in one mate! For our health and safety check (aka manual lifting and whatnot); let's just say it was a case of a guy who can't speak English fluently coming up to you, asking "name", then going on to the next guy! Needless to say I only stayed at that place for a month before I found something better.
Working in the back of wagons in about 30-35'c heat wasn't worth what I was getting paid.

Caporegime
dare i say that on my bike i wear nothing more than a helmet and a pair of thin motocross gloves

well i do wear hi top trainers too that would probably fall off due to not being on tight enough

safety first eh!

please buy some decent kit,even the basic kit is cheap,if ever you come off it will melt those gloves into your skin and god knows what itll do to your ankles ect,i know........ ive come off a few machines

Soldato

safety first eh!

I bet yer tackle gets cold at this time of year eh? :p

I hope you never come off mate, the road loves to chow down on bare arse! ;)

Buff

Back
Top Bottom