• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I keep my 4070Ti Super or go AMD?

Associate
Hi all.

I'm trying to decide on a new GPU. I currently have an unopened 4070Ti Super but after watching several comparison videos I'm wondering if I made a mistake and should be looking at the Radeon 7900XT or even the XTX? I have a few weeks to return my 4070Ti Super if I decide to change. (I'm not interested in the 4080 Super)

From what I can discern from these videos is that the neutral games that are not optimised for either AMD or Nvidia seems to favour AMD.

The 7900XT is considerably cheaper than the 4070Ti Super and the XTX isn't that much more currently that the Ti Super.

One thing I did notice though is when upscaling is used, Nvidia pulls ahead quite considerably and apparently looks sharper but how often is DLSS or FSR actually used?

My main game is World of Warcraft in 4K (which doesn't use DLSS or FSR), I do play other games occasionally in either 2K or 4K and some VR with my Meta Quest 3, mainly sports games like golf or kayaking. I do want to get Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield when my system is updated.

My main priority is visual quality over performance, I want to be able to crank all the settings up for the best possible image.

My PC is a 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 CL30 on a Asus ROG Strix B650E-F motherboard with a EVGA 1200W Platinum PSU.

Unfortunately I just don't know enough about GPU's to fully understand all the data mentioned in these videos like 1% lows e.t.c.

Thank you.

Well I wouldn't be buying anything at this point considering what is lurking around the end of the year. However, if I had to, I would look at what gave me the best performance per unit of currency spent, I would pick a budget and then see what would fit into it. Now one of the most important metrics for me personally is frame pacing or frame time consistency meaning I don't care about the average fps if there are individually rendered frames(the 0.1% lows) that are too low. It causes a microstutter effect and are to some(myself included) very apparent. I personally don't hold to much value in all the extra features such as ray tracing(unlike what some would have you believe we are fare from the majority of games requiring you have dedicated hardware for it), upscalers and the like. However, I would use them for deciding close competition. Some live and "die" by RT, I don't so it's a personal preference for sure. I've seen it, played with it and went "ehhh that it?". Upscalers would carry more weight in my book as they offer more performance when you need it for little to almost no loss in visuals(game/implementation depended) or good power savings.

If the choice is a 4070ti super or a rx 7900XT and more money in my pocket, I would personally pick the later. I like saving money, I prefer the AMD driver suite when on windows for my use cases and I like the frame pacing. That is all very subjective though and down to how I personally value different things.

Last edited:
My main priority is visual quality over performance, I want to be able to crank all the settings up for the best possible image.
DLSS is still generally superior to FSR for image quality and normally has wider support and nvidia cards are still approximately 1 tier ahead of AMD when ray tracing is enabled, though being starved of VRAM doesn't help their performance in the longer-term.

Well I wouldn't be buying anything at this point considering what is lurking around the end of the year. However, if I had to, I would look at what gave me the best performance per unit of currency spent, I would pick a budget and then see what would fit into it. Now one of the most important metrics for me personally is frame pacing or frame time consistency meaning I don't care about the average fps if there are individually rendered frames(the 0.1% lows) that are too low. It causes a microstutter effect and are to some(myself included) very apparent. I personally don't hold to much value in all the extra features such as ray tracing(unlike what some would have you believe we are fare from the majority of games requiring you have dedicated hardware for it), upscalers and the like. However, I would use them for deciding close competition. Some live and "die" by RT, I don't so it's a personal preference for sure. I've seen it, played with it and went "ehhh that it?". Upscalers would carry more weight in my book as they offer more performance when you need it for little to almost no loss in visuals(game/implementation depended) or good power savings.

If the choice is a 4070ti super or a rx 7900XT and more money in my pocket, I would personally pick the later. I like saving money, I prefer the AMD driver suite when on windows for my use cases and I like the frame pacing. That is all very subjective though and down to how I personally value different things.
I'm not worried about saving money as such as I only really upgrade my PC every 4-5 years so I want to get it right first time.

I currently have a RTX 2070, I have no idea what's coming at the end of the year but I could wait although I would like to get it all out of the way as I'm building the new PC now.

Thank you.

DLSS is still generally superior to FSR for image quality and normally has wider support and nvidia cards are still approximately 1 tier ahead of AMD when ray tracing is enabled, though being starved of VRAM doesn't help their performance in the longer-term.
I think I need to look into Ray tracing a bit further, I'm not sure I know what it does properly. I know I have it on my 2070 and tried it in World of Warcraft but didn't notice any difference and turned it off.

Thank you.

I reckon there's some overthinking going on here.
You have a 4070 Ti Super, it's a good card, use it.
... and breathe ... :)
Without doubt :)

But I only upgrade my PC once every 4 or 5 years and want to get it right now, The 4070Ti Super is still in it's box and can easily be returned if a different card is more suitable for my needs.

Thank you.

Depends on the price you paid really. I think at £800+ a 4070 Ti Super is a poor value proposition, but they have been available at ~£650 and potentially closer to £550 with cashback recently, so if you got in on that deal then I'd keep it. Otherwise you could get the majority of the performance from a 7800 XT for half the price. AMD vs Nvidia is irrelevant for WoW, since it doesn't and won't support DLSS or FSR3, just crappy old FSR1. But then it's not a game that you'd have to rely on upscaling for with this tier of card anyway. You're going to be CPU-bound the vast majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom