• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I keep my 4070Ti Super or go AMD?

I have a 2070 right now which isn't great but it should last until the end of the year. When I posted this thread I wasn't aware any new cards were coming out this year.

I might just wait then and return the 4070Ti Super.

Thank you.
Yea keep the 2070 as new cards are close enough. All current cards should still be available as well and see what suits. AMD are also releasing from rumours so you should have a good picture. From all rumours AMD are targetting 4080 raster and rt performance but that's rumour. Just buy what fits when the puzzle is complete later on this year.

Last edited:
I would send the 4070 Ti back and stick with the 2070 until both AMD and Nvidia release their next GPUs. At the 4070Ti tier you may end up with better performance for less cost.

I bought a used 4080 for £900 and also have a £650 7900 XT in my son’s PC. Frankly the 7900 XT is a lot more appealing due to the cost savings, even at the used 4080 price let alone the full price. That’s because the majority of games I play are only marginally slower and those the use excessive RT are few and far between.

DLSS is still a better upscaler, but FSR is improving to the point it is more than viable.

Edit: Sorry you already made that rational choice days ago :)

Last edited:
I think at £800+ a 4070 Ti Super is a poor value proposition, but they have been available at ~£650 and potentially closer to £550 with cashback recently, so if you got in on that deal then I'd keep it
If OP got on the deal then they should keep it, if not then return. Common sense post here.

Funnily enough I’m in the opposite situation. I wanted a 4070 Ti Super but bought a 7900 XT due to no stock on the 4070 and was building a new pc and being impatient to getting up and running. I’m happy with the 7900 XT but always got the urge to go with what I originally wanted.

im looking to upgrade my 2080 super graphics card, would the electric bill be higher if say i went for a 4080 ?
A little bit. 2080 Super is around 200-250 on average, 4080 Super is around 250-300 on average. It does depend on the game, the frame cap/refresh rate and your CPU.

Might as well wait for RDNA4 cards, they are probably coming towards the end of the year.

As others have commented, the RTX 4070 TI super is a decent card.

By the way - '1% low' just means what is the 1% lowest performance (in terms of framerate), that can be expected in a game.

So for example, an average framerate could be 70, but a game could briefly drop down to 40 or 50 FPS during a busy scene. Most people would experience these sudden dips in performance as 'stutter', or maybe 'microstutter'.

Last edited:
I have a 2070 right now which isn't great but it should last until the end of the year.
I would just play games at 1080p for now with this card, in a few months there could be some new cards to consider buying.

You could sell the RTX 4070 TI Super once you've made your decision.

im looking to upgrade my 2080 super graphics card, would the electric bill be higher if say i went for a 4080 ?
If you're concerned about elecy costs then you probably shouldn't be spending £900 on a GPU.

If you wait till next year then you'll probably be able to get a card with 4080 performance for £600 while having similar power usage to what your 2080 currently uses.

Funnily enough I’m in the opposite situation. I wanted a 4070 Ti Super but bought a 7900 XT due to no stock on the 4070 and was building a new pc and being impatient to getting up and running. I’m happy with the 7900 XT but always got the urge to go with what I originally wanted.
Why have you got the urge to go to a 4070ti just wondering as I have a 3070ti and wondering about going to the 7900xt as they have some good deals on them at present.

Why have you got the urge to go to a 4070ti just wondering as I have a 3070ti and wondering about going to the 7900xt as they have some good deals on them at present.
The card itself is great and no complaints with its ability. But just having so many driver issues, I’ve tried various drivers, underclocking, undervolting, overclocking and stock along with fresh windows installs etc but still get cold boot timeouts, games crashing and black screens.

Only way I’ve had it run stable for any length of time is older drivers from earlier in the year, but still get the odd error message on boot about it being set to default settings because of an issue, even though the card is running stock. Run various stress tests on my pc and on the card but all fine.

I actually picked up a cheap 4070 Ti Super this week and had zero issues so far, so will unfortunately be getting rid of the 7900 XT.

The card itself is great and no complaints with its ability. But just having so many driver issues, I’ve tried various drivers, underclocking, undervolting, overclocking and stock along with fresh windows installs etc but still get cold boot timeouts, games crashing and black screens.

Only way I’ve had it run stable for any length of time is older drivers from earlier in the year, but still get the odd error message on boot about it being set to default settings because of an issue, even though the card is running stock. Run various stress tests on my pc and on the card but all fine.

I actually picked up a cheap 4070 Ti Super this week and had zero issues so far, so will unfortunately be getting rid of the 7900 XT.
Ohhh I was wondering why as it is supposed to be a great card and all that from the reviews I have seen but no one mentions what you have encountered....thanks for the heads up.

Ohhh I was wondering why as it is supposed to be a great card and all that from the reviews I have seen but no one mentions what you have encountered....thanks for the heads up.

To be honest that just sounds like a faulty/glitchy card or some sort of instability or incompatibility or software issue in the system. My wife has a 7900XT and plays on a 3840x1600 Ultrawide screen; she plays a bit of everything and rarely has many issues. Not saying they don't happen, but such issues happen on Nvidia cards too.
For what its worth it absolutely decimates my current 3080 for performance, she is getting better performance in Ultrawide than I do with my 3080 at QHD resolution, so its a very fast card, and the 7900XTX is faster again than her XT. She plays everything I do, and more, from old titles to new ones, and rarely has anything I'd call a crippling issue, and I've certainly had a number with Nvidia cards in the last few years; Nvidia drivers are NOT perfect unlike some would have you believe. The only title she did have an issue with was the old Fallout/Bethesda titles performing badly without a manual DLL swap, which AMD has since fixed as it was a bug introduced when they fixed/changed a load of other stuff.

7900XTX is basically the second fastest raster graphics card right now, beating the 4080/4080Super by around 5% average, with the 4090 being a decent step forward again, so it IS notably faster than the 4070 Ti Super as a baseline. Edit: By way of example, TPU states the 7900XTX is on average 20% faster than a 4070Ti Super at 4K.

Nvidia wins in upscaling and RT. DLSS upscaling is getting pretty decent and quite commonly implemented in newer titles, and is getting to the point its often not too noticeable (as long as used on quality settings) vs native albeit with often about a 25-50% performance boost, that said native is still better where it can be used.
Raytracing is also much faster on Nvidia right now, as they're a generation or two ahead in terms of hardware implementation, but to be honest that is a cream of the crop/advanced technique that is still borderline not worth used in most titles, as very few titles really use it well right now; and it has a massive hit to performance. When the day comes the RT accelerators means there is no hit, or very little, that is when it will take off, but its a very heavy technique.

If I had to buy now and they were the same price, I'd take the 7900XTX as everything uses raster, and it's nice to get amazing performance without having to rely on upscaling/dlss/fsr. If the 4070TI Super is considerably cheaper, I'd take it.
If you don't have to buy, I'd wait a little longer as hearing heavy rumours RDNA4 is going to be out this year. The plan with that seems to be it'd basically take the current AMD generation, make them slightly faster, improve the raytracing a decent bit, and then make them cheaper. Nvidia's next generation is going to be faster, but sounds like it will also be considerably more expensive than where AMD is aiming with RDNA4 (as they've kinda realised prices are starting to get unaffordable in the market, and its impacting sales volume, so they're aiming back towards more mainstream prices).

Last edited:
To be honest that just sounds like a faulty/glitchy card or some sort of instability or incompatibility or software issue in the system. My wife has a 7900XT and plays on a 3840x1600 Ultrawide screen; she plays a bit of everything and rarely has many issues. Not saying they don't happen, but such issues happen on Nvidia cards too.
For what its worth it absolutely decimates my current 3080 for performance, she is getting better performance in Ultrawide than I do with my 3080 at QHD resolution, so its a very fast card, and the 7900XTX is faster again than her XT. She plays everything I do, and more, from old titles to new ones, and rarely has anything I'd call a crippling issue, and I've certainly had a number with Nvidia cards in the last few years; Nvidia drivers are NOT perfect unlike some would have you believe. The only title she did have an issue with was the old Fallout/Bethesda titles performing badly without a manual DLL swap, which AMD has since fixed as it was a bug introduced when they fixed/changed a load of other stuff.

7900XTX is basically the second fastest raster graphics card right now, beating the 4080/4080Super by around 5% average, with the 4090 being a decent step forward again, so it IS notably faster than the 4070 Ti Super as a baseline. Edit: By way of example, TPU states the 7900XTX is on average 20% faster than a 4070Ti Super at 4K.

Nvidia wins in upscaling and RT. DLSS upscaling is getting pretty decent and quite commonly implemented in newer titles, and is getting to the point its often not too noticeable (as long as used on quality settings) vs native albeit with often about a 25-50% performance boost, that said native is still better where it can be used.
Raytracing is also much faster on Nvidia right now, as they're a generation or two ahead in terms of hardware implementation, but to be honest that is a cream of the crop/advanced technique that is still borderline not worth used in most titles, as very few titles really use it well right now; and it has a massive hit to performance. When the day comes the RT accelerators means there is no hit, or very little, that is when it will take off, but its a very heavy technique.

If I had to buy now and they were the same price, I'd take the 7900XTX as everything uses raster, and it's nice to get amazing performance without having to rely on upscaling/dlss/fsr. If the 4070TI Super is considerably cheaper, I'd take it.
If you don't have to buy, I'd wait a little longer as hearing heavy rumours RDNA4 is going to be out this year. The plan with that seems to be it'd basically take the current AMD generation, make them slightly faster, improve the raytracing a decent bit, and then make them cheaper. Nvidia's next generation is going to be faster, but sounds like it will also be considerably more expensive than where AMD is aiming with RDNA4 (as they've kinda realised prices are starting to get unaffordable in the market, and its impacting sales volume, so they're aiming back towards more mainstream prices).
Thanks for the feedback ill probably end up staying Nvidia lol.

Back
Top Bottom