• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I move to AMD?

No chance I would be considering a 14700k/14900k at this moment in time. If you're that unsure about going AMD then wait at least a couple more months until everything shakes out with the new microcode (Said from a machine with a 14900k in it).

I like longevity and though Intel had short term socket life they were stable and reliable and I could trust them to stand the test of time. After a few years the Skt1700 parts will get hardto source and that usually leads to 2nd hand parts but a 2nd habd 13th or 14th Gen CPU can no longer be trusted.

I love to build PCs it my favorite part so no hassle for me just pure joy. :D

Given the lacklustre performance of the the Ryzen 9000 series I have not ben to impressed but updates oftem work wonders for AM, look at the isses with the Ryzen 7000 series, a year later BIOS and other updates resolved them.

I am leaning towards an AMD replacement and Intel advice, regarding warranty claims was basically, if we reject you keep trying until we dont, which further undermines my once rock solid confidence in Intel.

if that is what intel have said about the warranty, then sell up and welcome to AMD side:D

cant believe intel are telling their customers this, talk about mishandling a bad situation.

I like longevity and though Intel had short term socket life they were stable and reliable and I could trust them to stand the test of time. After a few years the Skt1700 parts will get hardto source and that usually leads to 2nd hand parts but a 2nd habd 13th or 14th Gen CPU can no longer be trusted.

Still up in the air as to LGA1700 future - nothing been confirmed yet but looks like that should have been the 14th gen rather than the iterative Raptor Lake update we got will actually come about in a few months time - though availability might be a bit longer away.

No chance I would be considering a 14700k/14900k at this moment in time. If you're that unsure about going AMD then wait at least a couple more months until everything shakes out with the new microcode (Said from a machine with a 14900k in it).

I'm really really on the fence on this - so far my 14700K has been flawless, I know a fair few people in person with 13th and 14th gen systems who've not had any issues beyond the normal RAM compatibility kind of thing and those I know managing large numbers of such systems are not reporting the kind of failure levels which hit the headlines - more like 3-5% kind of thing. But there is a whole shadow over the situation at the moment and uncertainty as to how it might pan out long term which no one wants.

I've not actually seen any real performance hit on my 14700K from the mitigations aside from very slightly in Cinebench, though I was running a 283 watt IIRC turbo power limit from the start rather than unlimited so don't have that to compare.

I'm really really on the fence on this - so far ;) my 14700K has been flawless, I know a fair few people in person with 13th and 14th gen systems who've not had any issues beyond the normal RAM compatibility kind of thing and those I know managing large numbers of such systems are not reporting the kind of failure levels which hit the headlines - more like 3-5% kind of thing. But there is a whole shadow over the situation at the moment and uncertainty as to how it might pan out long term which no one wants.

I've not actually seen any real performance hit on my 14700K from the mitigations aside from very slightly in Cinebench, though I was running a 283 watt IIRC turbo power limit from the start rather than unlimited so don't have that to compare.

There are the key words there ;)

That is part of my quandary are the issues, on 13th/14th Gen just the initial issues, or are there other problems that will appear, in a year or two, by which point will Intel just ignore the issues, or blame the motherboard manufacturers, as they did this time, and use new platforms to bury the issues.

I'm really really on the fence on this - so far my 14700K has been flawless, I know a fair few people in person with 13th and 14th gen systems who've not had any issues beyond the normal RAM compatibility kind of thing and those I know managing large numbers of such systems are not reporting the kind of failure levels which hit the headlines - more like 3-5% kind of thing. But there is a whole shadow over the situation at the moment and uncertainty as to how it might pan out long term which no one wants.

Unfortunately mine has definitely taken a turn. Started getting a bad crash in my work software which was (somewhat fortuitously) around the same time the Oodle news was making the rounds. Been running it a bit gimped ever since waiting for a break in work where I can suffer the turnaround time (and effort) for an RMA.

That is part of my quandary are the issues, on 13th/14th Gen just the initial issues, or are there other problems that will appear, in a year or two, by which point will Intel just ignore the issues, or blame the motherboard manufacturers, as they did this time, and use new platforms to bury the issues.

We just don’t fully understand everything and Intel will probably never disclose the details but, it seems like Intel have multiple issues to deal with. What we do know is, the failure rate over time is horrendously high and one or more issues result in premature failure or the chips degrading to the point they become unserviceable.

For those considering AMD CPUs as well, who don't go for the outright X3D gaming CPU and perhaps are looking at the general all rounder range, you can save yourself some money by not going for the X varients. (i.e. 7600X / 7600). You simply pop on PBO for the non-X chip and you get the same performance for a fraction of the cost. GN have a video with all the tables etc showing with and without PBO turned on. Worth knowing. :)

For those considering AMD CPUs as well, who don't go for the outright X3D gaming CPU and perhaps are looking at the general all rounder range, you can save yourself some money by not going for the X varients. (i.e. 7600X / 7600). You simply pop on PBO for the non-X chip and you get the same performance for a fraction of the cost. GN have a video with all the tables etc showing with and without PBO turned on. Worth knowing. :)

On that weirdly on OCUK right now the 7700 is the same £290 as the 7700X. Oh so people are buying the none X? That's fine, push the price up to match... :rolleyes: I hate the way these things work, the consumer finds something favourable to them and who ever it is, the retailer probably then capitalises on that to the point of completely ruining it.

Last edited:
On that weirdly on OCUK right now the 7700 is the same £290 as the 7700X. Oh so people are buying the none X? That's fine, push the price up to match... :rolleyes: I hate the way these things work, the consumer finds something favourable to them and who ever it is, the retailer probably then capitalises on that to the point of completely ruining it.
Well that sucks. :(

You see what i wanted to say was the 7700 was great value, 4 clicks in the BIOS and you've turned it in to a 105 watt TDP 7700X, but before saying that i thought i should check, glad i did, its not great value, the 7700X is too expensive and the 7700 at the same price certainly is, its horrible value.

THe lackluster performance of the Ryzen 9000 series has not inspired but no stability issues so a plus. May just wait on the X870/B860 motherboards to se if any uplift but if I move to AMD, unless the 9800X3D is stellar may go Ryzen 7000 series and a X870/B860 motherboard and wait on Ryzen 11.

The last few years, whether CPU or GPU, seem to be over hyped and then an utter let down.

In fairness the 5800 x3d and 7800 x3ds seem to have been pretty decent
I agree but they feel more like the exception rather than the rule.

Feels like companies will turn out anything and then slap some RGB on it and a few extra letters to the name and expect everyone to run out and buy it, thats how we got to the Intel Stability debacle, basically the 13th and 14th Gens were nothing more that souped up 12th Gen, that appears could not take the extra voltage as the ring bus design had reached its limit on 12th Gen.

In fairness the 5800 x3d and 7800 x3ds seem to have been pretty decent

The 16+ core parts have also been fantastic for many of us using our computers for 3d/graphics work too. Have a 5950x still running strong that was brilliant when I got it, and whilst this 14900k is having a wobble the combination of single threaded and multithreaded performance has still been incredible for what I use it for.

Back
Top Bottom