• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should I move to AMD?

AMD does seem to the better option, at present, just because there CPUs use less power so less chance of voltage/power issues and stability issues, and they are actively trying to lower CPU power usage.

Last edited:

Thanks for posting these, I was starting to talk myself in to an upgrade from 5950x to 7950x3D, but the gap isn't as wide as I'd thought (especially for 1440p gaming!), think I'll stick for another gen or 2, or until a part failure forces my hand.
Plus the x3D I was looking at on the MM appears to have now sold :D

AMD are better at the moment.

I'm not a fan boy either, I'll buy whatever is better at the time, for the last 3 years or so AMD have been better.
I'm in the same boat. Haven't had AMD for 20+ years, but right now, they're just better. I'll be getting a 7800x3d or 9800x3d if it's out by the time I'm ready!

Going against the grain here but personally not a big fan of the 7800X3D, that isn't to say I think it is a bad CPU as such. Albeit not a perfect comparison due to 4080 vs 4080 Super, lesser RAM on the 7800X3D side and the 14700K being on a ludicrously expensive motherboard :D but at the settings you are playing most games with realistically with a setup like this the difference in performance is generally within margin of error outside of one or the other having an advantage in certain games, the power difference at the wall is nothing like as stark as the CPU socket power difference alone and IMO the socket longevity is still up in the air. The 14700K generally dumps on the 7800X3D considerably when it comes to workloads outside of gaming. I'm yet to experience these CPUs failing amongst those I know owning them both online acquaintances and friends and family.

Again not ideal side by side comparison but IMO the 14700K felt better to game on - though a £500-600 motherboard vs £170 motherboard and average vs a bit better than average RAM may or may not have had some implications on that :s

Not to mention the 7800X3D system took like 50 seconds to boot and/or had issues if messing about changing memory settings for faster boot (and this has more often than not been a problematic area with AM5 in my experience) vs 15 seconds on the 14700K. I always find it a little amusing in this context systems using the Ryzen Z1 Extreme/7xxxU are lethally fast to boot and with a bit of tuning can even boot to a fully loaded Windows desktop in not much over 2 seconds - my Legion Go even when using a 5 Watt TDP limit is sub 5 seconds.

I am on a GTX 1070, COVID and Crypto prices delayed upgrades, then not happy with 4000 series, but will upgrade to 5070/5080 once released.
Rather upgrade your GPU than your CPU (if this hasn’t been pointed out by now) as your current CPU is plenty good enough and your GPU is holding your whole rig back.

Going against the grain here but personally not a big fan of the 7800X3D, that isn't to say I think it is a bad CPU as such. Albeit not a perfect comparison due to 4080 vs 4080 Super, lesser RAM on the 7800X3D side and the 14700K being on a ludicrously expensive motherboard :D but at the settings you are playing most games with realistically with a setup like this the difference in performance is generally within margin of error outside of one or the other having an advantage in certain games, the power difference at the wall is nothing like as stark as the CPU socket power difference alone and IMO the socket longevity is still up in the air. The 14700K generally dumps on the 7800X3D considerably when it comes to workloads outside of gaming. I'm yet to experience these CPUs failing amongst those I know owning them both online acquaintances and friends and family.

Again not ideal side by side comparison but IMO the 14700K felt better to game on - though a £500-600 motherboard vs £170 motherboard and average vs a bit better than average RAM may or may not have had some implications on that :s

Not to mention the 7800X3D system took like 50 seconds to boot and/or had issues if messing about changing memory settings for faster boot (and this has more often than not been a problematic area with AM5 in my experience) vs 15 seconds on the 14700K. I always find it a little amusing in this context systems using the Ryzen Z1 Extreme/7xxxU are lethally fast to boot and with a bit of tuning can even boot to a fully loaded Windows desktop in not much over 2 seconds - my Legion Go even when using a 5 Watt TDP limit is sub 5 seconds.
I won’t lie, AMDs memory training POST times are outrageously long and often cause panic even for experienced system builders like myself.

You can improve the POST time by updating the BIOS but unless you’re rebooting multiple times every day to get into a different OS, it’s not a huge issue for most people.

The first POST upon finishing an AMD build is stupidly long and sometimes requires so many reboots that people assume that the rig isn’t POSTing at all.

AMD drivers are also often an issue for the first while after launch.

Given all the reviews of X3D CPUs v Intel, I do agree that outside of gaming, Intel is better but I’d still strongly prefer the 7800X3D as it’s fast enough for most peoples use case.

Given the recent voltage issues and damaged 13th/14th gen Intel processors that require a new BIOS update to fix the issue and how scared most people are of doing a BIOS update, I can’t really recommend Intel to your average use at the moment.

Neither BIOS issue of either AMD or Intel is great but AMDs is at least non damaging to system components.

I have always bought Intel and for my last build bought a 12600K and a Z690 motherboard and planned to upgrade the CPU later on, once they reduced in price, ideally it would have been a 14700K, but given the issues with 14th Gen and Intel's response I am considering AMD for the first time.

I would probably go for a 7800X3D/9800X3D CPU with a B850 motherboard, when released.

I know Ryzen is not without its issues, notably memory speeds and training times, but nothing that damages the CPU, and the long lifespan of AMD sockets is a plus.

Would this be a wise move or should I just stick to Intel and hope for the best?

AMD have been the best choice for half a decade at least. The only people loeft on Intel are the fanbois and people who just can't let go and still think it's 2010 with the bingy bong bing ads.

:)

I was all set to upgrade to an i7 14700k but have been reading about these recent intel issues now I'm a bit stuck. Is it time for me to go AMD?

This is for my personal machine which does more gaming than development, but I still do a fair bit of compiling on it for personal projects. A lot of video and audio editing. I play games at 1080p at the moment but thats due to my computer being naff (its an i7 4770k, yes its that old). I'd like to 1440p, don't have the telly for 4k. I have a 4070 Ti Super, what are my options with AMD? I've got the expensive part mostly covered, but like a lot of people don't know much about AMD.

Given that this computers ~10 years old I suspect anything will feel like a significant upgrade.

Last edited:
I was all set to upgrade to an i7 14700k but have been reading about these recent intel issues now I'm a bit stuck. Is it time for me to go AMD?

This is for my personal machine which does more gaming than development, but I still do a fair bit of compiling on it for personal projects. A lot of video and audio editing. I play games at 1080p at the moment but thats due to my computer being naff (its an i7 4770k, yes its that old). I'd like to 1440p, don't have the telly for 4k. I have a 4070 Ti Super, what are my options with AMD? I've got the expensive part mostly covered, but like a lot of people don't know much about AMD.

Given that this computers ~10 years old I suspect anything will feel like a significant upgrade.

I took am looking to move to AMD, from Intel, but part of me is still thinking Intel, especially as the leaks on the next gen CPUs is not looking to bad.

If just for gaming then a 7800X3D would be the best buy, though for a motherboard I would wait until the end of September for the X870 motherboard releases, and if you can wait longer then waiting to see what the 9800X3D is like would be a good idea.

Overall I would say if you can wait a few months, to the new year, then you will have a better overall choice and picture on performance of the latest CPUs, and if nothing else the previous Gen prices may have dropped to make them a better bargin.

I took am looking to move to AMD, from Intel, but part of me is still thinking Intel, especially as the leaks on the next gen CPUs is not looking to bad.

If just for gaming then a 7800X3D would be the best buy, though for a motherboard I would wait until the end of September for the X870 motherboard releases, and if you can wait longer then waiting to see what the 9800X3D is like would be a good idea.

Overall I would say if you can wait a few months, to the new year, then you will have a better overall choice and picture on performance of the latest CPUs, and if nothing else the previous Gen prices may have dropped to make them a better bargin.
Thanks for this - aye I probably can wait another month or two. Depends how badly frostpunk2 canes the CPU I guess :p.

My 14700k has been great so far. I have airways ran it with the power maximum watts reduced and with an undervolt.

I am looking at the x870 boards, to be released, and an AMD CPU for another build but I'm not sure if that socket will have any greater potential for longevity to that of the up and coming Arrow Lake offerings from Intel.

No rush, at this stage.

My 14700k has been great so far. I have airways ran it with the power maximum watts reduced and with an undervolt.

I am looking at the x870 boards, to be released, and an AMD CPU for another build but I'm not sure if that socket will have any greater potential for longevity to that of the up and coming Arrow Lake offerings from Intel.

No rush, at this stage.
What’s your CPU voltage in CPU-z at idle?

What’s your CPU voltage in CPU-z at idle?
at idle when doing nothing, altho there are still variations.

cpu-voltage.png

Back
Top Bottom