• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should i swap my GTX1080 for a Vega 64?

Associate
Shame as it's one of the better ones, whilst Nvidia can have it's issues, generally Nvidia and their aibs tune the bios to the silicon with more refinement. Vega Def needs tweaking to see it's true potential.

Well there you go as I said above I don't like Messing about Overclocking/undervolting cards I just want to install install drivers and play

Soldato
Well there you go as I said above I don't like Messing about Overclocking/undervolting cards I just want to install install drivers and play
You're misunderstanding. Nobody is saying Vega cards don't work great out of the box, it's that they can be made to work even better with some tweaking (the same is true of Nvidia cards to a lesser degree). I.E out of the box a V64 will perform like a 1080 but use more power and thus generate more heat, this difference can be virtually eliminated with some tweaking for no performance hit.

Soldato
My current vega 64 nitro works without issue but sapphire are pumping 1.2v through the core with only 1,025 needed to reach the same boost speed.. pretty mental! But its an easy fix thanks to wattman. Also the HBM can be undervolted on my sample from 1100mv to 950mv without issue at all.

Associate
You're misunderstanding. Nobody is saying Vega cards don't work great out of the box, it's that they can be made to work even better with some tweaking (the same is true of Nvidia cards to a lesser degree). I.E out of the box a V64 will perform like a 1080 but use more power and thus generate more heat, this difference can be virtually eliminated with some tweaking for no performance hit.

I never said Vega didn't work well the thread was asking for opinions of gtx1080 or Vega I gave my honest opinion I preferred the nvidia card

I had issues straight out of the box as the Vega caused issues with my psu causing shutdowns then the games not playing smooth

Many people love the Vega cards I just am not one of them sadly

Last edited:
Soldato
I never said Vega didn't work well the thread was asking for opinions of gtx1080 or Vega I gave my honest opinion
I know but as myself and others have pointed out your dislike of the AMD card stems from a hardware/software issue you experienced with your PC/card and is not indicative of the general/usual experience.

Paying for a side-grade just to enable adaptive sync isn't worth it imho. Use the 1080 until AMD have an upgrade path for you imho.
He isn't talking about paying for anything, his question was about swapping 1080 for V64 at zero cost in order to get the benefit of his Freesync monitor.

Caporegime
That was your problem there really,
Vega is pretty poor out the box,
Was it a reference or Aib ?

I run my LC 64 out of the box, and it runs bloody great :p

Paying for a side-grade just to enable adaptive sync isn't worth it imho. Use the 1080 until AMD have an upgrade path for you imho.

He'll be waiting a while for an upgrade from AMD though.

Soldato
Adaptive sync is great imo

I have a slight affinity towards AMD, but I found myself using a 980ti for the last couple of years, and then a week or 2 ago, I ended up with a g-sync monitor.

I'm really impressed with the g-sync. I no longer have to worry about finding settings that leave my fps pined to the refresh rate, as fps fluctuations are no longer noticeable within reason. I was worried it would be something I wouldn't really notice, but for me, it's great! I absolutely detest tearing and I'm so pleased I'll probably never see it again.

I would go for it! If it's costing you ~nothing and the performance is ~the same then it's a no brainer!

Soldato
Forgot to ask, do you overclock?

Because you believe the 1080 is more powerful once both are OC’d to max.

I get about 2,140Mhz out of my 1080.

Soldato
From what I understand the vega 64 is slightly more powerful.

Adaptive Sync doesn’t really blow my mind, but if you can switch without it costing you much / anything I would probably do so.

They are give or take on par with each other. But what really differentiates the 1080 as the superior card is the consistency across all games. Your see there is one game in that list which exhibits a massive difference between the the cards.

Also power consumption is a concern for Vega.

---

But based on that if the OP has now purchased a FreeSync screen then getting a Vega 64 would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom