Should I switch to a laptop?

Soldato
I've had a few gaming laptops over the years. My first gaming laptop was a Sony Vaio with a desktop Pentium 4 CPU in it.
They always lasted a long time. my last Dell one with a 7900gs lasted about 9yrs.

They are compromised machines though. But if you need (or want) to move around they are great.

Soldato
That makes no sense. There is no way a 2yr old Laptop becomes unusable. Even with old drivers.

Amd still made the drivers but they didn't work with the dell laptop, dell support told him drivers was coming but they never did.

Games like COD won't load with out of date drivers. The system was still capable just some games said no.

Soldato
I'm curious to see links to this issue with a top of end Dell/AMD gaming laptop that shipped without drivers to play games. In particular COD. AND never got the drivers.

I'm open to be convinced. Seems all very vague thus far.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know regret asking. But drivers for what machine and hardware.

Tbf like I said the new PC lasted about 8 years and the laptop was 2 years old so am going to struggle getting all the info..

I want to say it was r17 with r9 290x gpu.
This is a time when amd was notorious for not putting out working drivers. And if amd doesn't provide the drivers dell can't modify them to work with there system.

If you put out of date drivers on a PC a lot of games won't load they refuse to work with out drivers. So now imagine your laptop been 2 months behind all the time

Soldato
That would all seem to be about AMD drivers and not unique to laptops. Since there's a load of complaints about that card in desktops around that time.
Though oddly enough the R9-m290x was popular card which they obviously fixed the drivers, as people are still using them today. So it was resolved eventually.

Never been a fan of ATI/AMD cards for that reason. I remember swapping out my laptops 7900 (had to keep reflowing it) for a X1400 which they promptly dropped support for in Windows 8.

Soldato
That would all seem to be about AMD drivers and not unique to laptops. Since there's a load of complaints about that card in desktops around that time.
Though oddly enough the R9-m290x was popular card which they obviously fixed the drivers, as people are still using them today. So it was resolved eventually.

Never been a fan of ATI/AMD cards for that reason. I remember swapping out my laptops 7900 (had to keep reflowing it) for a X1400 which they promptly dropped support for in Windows 8.

Nonsense. I've seen it with Nvidia as well. You seen determined not to listen to views you don't agree with...

<Looks at his three year old ThinkPad>

Soldato
Nonsense. I've seen it with Nvidia as well. You seen determined not to listen to views you don't agree with...

<Looks at his three year old ThinkPad>

I was curious about the facts, the technical side of it. I have no idea why you think its about people "views".

A story about a gaming laptop that was released without working drivers, and that never got working drivers.
Drivers that are unique to that laptop and/or gpu. Seems unlikely, not impossible, just unlikely.
The argument being this is common in laptops and a reason to avoid them. A r9-290x isn't going to tick any of those boxes. Therefore doesn't validate the premise.

It maybe WingMan hasn't got the details quite right. Thats ok, I was just interested in the technical side of it.

A desktop is like triggers brush. Endlessly upgradable. But its not really the original machine then.

Soldato
That's not the story, the story is after 2 years the drivers started coming week late and in some cases just didn't come

I preferred my story :) That said I'd be curious that a ubiquitous GPU "never" got updates for a mainstream title.

I see there's an issue with Halo Infinite and HDR at the moment. But its not unique to laptops.

Back
Top Bottom