Should I teach my daughter wasd or arrow keys?

Man of Honour
WASD

Although in the unreal tournament days I used right click for walk, left mouse for fire, scroll wheel button for secondary fire. Then up arrow for jump left/right/back for strafe left/right and backwards

bru

bru

Soldato
Some people here need to realise that there have been games around for a lot longer than they think. It was mentioned that WASD has been standard for the last 10 years, yup maybe but for the 20 years before that it was the arrow keys, kinda shows my age but ho hum.

Certain things are easier on the arrow keys and certain things are easier on WASD.
My advice teach her a couple of games, one using WASD and one using the arrow keys, that way when she is old enough to get to grips with remapping the keys she will be perfectly capable of using either or some other bizarre combination.

My self I play minecraft using the arrow keys, but world of tanks using WASD.

Anyone saying that one or the other is wrong, in my opinion is just wrong themselves.

I suppose it is the whole spectrum/commodore, Atari/Amiga, PC/MAC, playstation/Xbox, android/IOS thing taken to a new level.

Have you considered if you are going to teach her inverted or none inverted yet? ;)

Now that is a good question :D

Associate
It was mentioned that WASD has been standard for the last 10 years, yup maybe but for the 20 years before that it was the arrow keys, kinda shows my age but ho hum.
Arrow keys came around in the 90s, before that was QAOP and spacebar, we didn't even have a mouse.
Now I'm showing my age. :D

Soldato
Wasd all the way. I also bind run to v and crouch to c which a lot of people look at me strangely for but the v run bind lets me effortlessly runjump jusy by rocking my thumb

bru

bru

Soldato
Arrow keys came around in the 90s, before that was QAOP and spacebar, we didn't even have a mouse.
Now I'm showing my age. :D

For you it might, but I bought my Atari ST in June 1985 on launch day (yes the original one with the external disk drive and PSU.) and Ive been using the arrow keys ever since. except for those games that I use wasd ;)

Last edited:
Commissario
WASD, much easier with more other keys close by for more shortcuts.

Pretty much it.

I made the move from Arrow Keys to WASD years ago, partly because with "modern" games (anything that had jump:p) the WASD location means you also get to use keys for jump/crouch/"use"/reload etc with the one hand comfortably, leaving the mouse hand free to do aiming and firing.

Associate
I was arrow. Changed to WASD in 2004 and haven't looked back. I remember when it happened it was a wrench, but I got over it.

It is better, more keys within reach once you learn it for a start.

How are you still using arrows keys now? Do you play multiplayer FPS at all?

Soldato
Next you will say you were considering mouse1 for forward :eek:

I used to have forward on mouse 2, jump was arrow up. Yes I was an arrow key user and crouch was right shift and kp_0 was alt fire, double bound to m3 or m4.

I'm also an inverter, though technically I'm not and games are configured wrong. Pushing up to look up is sickening, that is the true inverted.

I converted to WASD in FPS games after playing WoW, all the time spent playing that game trained me on WASD, and I'm better off for it in modern games which require so many keys, even FPS games.

Now what is amazing is my mate who last I knew still uses arrow keys, even in MMO's he rebinds to arrow keys and uses the keypad for 1~9.

Back
Top Bottom