*** Show Off Your Apple Hardware ***

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Not a great picture as I'm in the middle of sorting my office out, replacing the desk etc

5wcxj.jpg

But that's my 2017 Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar in Space Grey (i7 7820HQ/16GB/512GB/AMD560), connected to a Mantiz Venus TB3 eGPU enclosure which holds an extra 500GB SSD, ethernet adapter, USB hub and hosts an AMD Vega 64.
Docks with one TB3 cable to provide all that connectivity and also charge the MBP.

Out of shot (on a shelf) is my Mac Mini 2012 (16GB/500GB SSD) which is connected via TB2 to a modified AKiTio Thunder II that contains an Nvidia GTX970.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a great picture as I'm in the middle of sorting my office out, replacing the desk etc

But that's my 2017 Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar in Space Grey (i7 7820HQ/16GB/512GB/AMD560), connected to a Mantiz Venus TB3 eGPU enclosure which holds an extra 500GB SSD, ethernet adapter, USB hub and hosts an AMD Vega 64.
Docks with one TB3 cable to provide all that connectivity and also charge the MBP.

Out of shot (on a shelf) is my Mac Mini 2012 (16GB/500GB SSD) which is connected via TB2 to a modified AKiTio Thunder II that contains an Nvidia GTX970.

Image isn't loading there mate :(

Soldato
erk, changed hosts now. Should be there!

I like it! I can't believe how large the Mac trackpads have become. Good thing they're the best around :D
That eGPU looks mighty fine as well; that's a lot of extra grunt alright. I'm glad Apple finally saw the light and started supporting those properly.

GeX

GeX

Soldato

Yeah, it was a bit weird going from the trackpad on my 2012 MBPr to this one, but it is still great :D

The Vega 64 does add a lot of grunt, though the built in stuff copes quite well too. It isn't fully supported, the only card that is is the one in Apple's VR dev kit. The Vega works, but the fan control is screwed atm so the fans are on near full.. which is annoying. It is nice that I can hot plug without crashing the system though.

(fan control works fine in bootcamp)

Associate
Nice setup GeX. I have explored that kind of thing for a while too, especially after Apple released the dev kit. Ideally, I'd love to be able to run an eGPU with a 5K iMac but drive the internal display (with no performance handicap).

I'm hoping that the release of their new display (potentially this year) might see some more support for drivers etc.

Soldato
Few changes.

2018-01-21Desk.jpg

Left to right - 2017 13" MBP, iMac Pro of JOY, 2017 15" MBP.

Out of sight, 2017 12" Macbook, and a 2017 i7 iMac that's used as my VMWare/Home server.

Still need a bigger desk.

Soldato
Loads of Office365 stuff - Exchange/Skype, lots of virtualisation. All the media stuff is quite demanding. May look/sound like way too much, but it all gets used. The 'pro has enabled me to retire a 2015 iMac that was struggling - I ended up running stuff on the iMac and the laptops.

Anyways, saves me a ton of travelling around with disks and the like. Doesn't get my diagrams drawn any quicker though :-/

Edited to add I'll do some performance comparisons between the 'pro and the 2017 i7 shortly. Operationally the Pro feels tons faster. Exporting video - which I do a lot of - feels a bit slower in elapsed tim. I haven't actually measured it, it's a gut feel. I will say however that I can actually use the machine for other stuff while it's doing it. Not so much on the i7 - it struggles to export 4k video *and* run Win 10 in a VM. Xeon chips aren't they in the Pros?

Last edited:
Soldato
Logitech do a keyboard which can switch between multiple devices and is suitable for macs if that might make things easier for you :)

Quite right you were too, very nice bit of kit!

Awesome. Is it your own business?

Kinda. IT Contractor - like loads on here - but I mainly focus on System Integrators to work for (rather than 'end' technology consumers), as they always have a queue of days to deliver. Get a good relationship with key people, and you're never out of work. That was my theory 20ish years ago, and it seems to have worked out anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom