Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy the car with the gearbox you want.

:D

I just went out for another quick drive this morning, was going to go down the same road as the one from yesterday's pictures. However, at 9AM it was still in the shade of the hill so was completely frosted over. Got to the first corner and the back end twitched (first the cars swiftly followed by my own), so had to slow right down. I was able to wheelspin in third gear while moving.

Took a shortcut and came home. Think I'll leave the spirited drives until the weather warms up :)

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I dont get why you would choose an smg m3 tbh.

Because SMG is the ultimate definition of race driving experience and enhances the theatrics and intense driver involvement that only the BMW E46 M3 can provide.

Thundering along with the race tuned S54 in-line six barking through factory standard throttle bodies is an unbeatable experience when accompanied by the aggressive shunt of a software enhanced sequential manual gearbox providing the driver with the excitement and fury that only a BMW E46 M3 can provide.

Whilst dated by today's standards, the SMG gearbox is an engineering masterpiece that compliments the ethos behind the ultimate drivers car.

- Gibbo 2014

Soldato
Because SMG is the ultimate definition of race driving experience and enhances the theatrics and intense driver involvement that only the BMW E46 M3 can provide.

Thundering along with the race tuned S54 in-line six barking through factory standard throttle bodies is an unbeatable experience when accompanied by the aggressive shunt of a software enhanced sequential manual gearbox providing the driver with the excitement and fury that only a BMW E46 M3 can provide.

Whilst dated by today's standards, the SMG gearbox is an engineering masterpiece that compliments the ethos behind the ultimate drivers car.

- Gibbo 2014

That can only be provided by the BWM E46 M3 :D

OcUK Staff

- Gibbo 2014

:D

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I sit next to Gibbo.

I am informed on a daily basis about the magical powers that the E46 possesses.

*after you have fixed the boot floor and rebushed the whole car.

Soldato
Oh yeah, I drive an auto now and love it, but it's not a performance car. The SMG doesn't really offer any advantage in terms of shift speed so I just don't see the point.

OcUK Staff
Oh yeah, I drive an auto now and love it, but it's not a performance car. The SMG doesn't really offer any advantage in terms of shift speed so I just don't see the point.

It offers an advantage in shift speed, even race car drivers have said the SMG can shift quicker than them in most cases. 80ms shift time is bloody quick.

On a track day it is clearly evident when I've being with other M3's nearly a car length is gained when shifting, there is no pause in acceleration with SMG, with a manual there is unless your power shifting which will quickly fry your clutch/gearbox.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The fact he bought the slightly heavier convertible, I don't think outright speed was his main concern. Some people just like playing with knobs, especially mrk.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's heavier but I find it has sharper steering than my old coupe which was pretty sharp to begin with. The Coupe M3 is sharper still but all this talk of having a negative affect on handling because it's a convertible is a load of bs :p

I would never have known otherwise had I not got this. Maybe it's because I have CSL tyre sizes though I don't know?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
It's heavier but I find it has sharper steering than my old coupe which was pretty sharp to begin with. The Coupe M3 is sharper still but all this talk of having a negative affect on handling because it's a convertible is a load of bs :p

I would never have known otherwise had I not got this. Maybe it's because I have CSL tyre sizes though I don't know?

The convertible does not handle as well fact, structural rigidity is not as good and it weighs over 100kg more. This effects handling in a negative weigh.

Less weight means you can change direction faster and a more rigid structure give a car a far sharper feeling and more feel. People fit cages to race cars not just for safety but also for the structural advantage it also gives.

Clarkson did quite a good review on 911 and R8 versus their coupe counterparts and even though they were good he who is not a race driver could easily tell the difference between coupe and convertible in handling and how coupe was superior. The Stig then went on to prove what he thought, the coupe versions also posted faster lap times.

Back
Top Bottom