1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show Us Your Motors!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Lopéz, Oct 18, 2002.

1. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

ahh you're correct I did
    I must admit that was a mistake and was not intended I was more trying to explain the engine which was pictured.

the PD is pump duse not the same as common rail I must admit.
    the PD has still not got a mechanical pump VE ( distribution pump ) on the side of the engine.

it has a low pressure pump in the tank then a high pressure pump on the end of the camshaft the injectors also have a pump which is operated via a lobe on the cam hence the pump duse ie individual pump unit. they also have an electronic side built into the injectors which the VE engine doesnt.

2. 4T5

Man of Honour

Mine being the older more agricultural lump has saved me from my ignorance. :D Tuther way round would have been a pain but swapping out this oil for another fully synthetic shouldn't cause any issues, These old lumps have been around for ages the oil in there is Quality & I'm not using the car at extremes either temp wise or performance wise. I'll run it for a couple of hundred miles then swap it out for some FS 10w/40 & keep the FS 5w/40 for future use on a Trader.
    As i said earlier mixing 2 Fully Synthetic oils won't cause any issues, Mixing semi or non with synthetic can cause Gel to form as the chemicals react with each other but even this is unlikely. Maybe Simon can explain it properly. :)

Either way I will be changing it as I just want the motor Bang on. :cool:

3. Simon

Capodecina

PD engines need special testing beyond 'normal' oils

The PD engine has injectors driven by the camshafts, this puts massive loads on the cams and cam bearings and so you need to run oils through this extra PD testing to claim the VW 505 01 specification. Engines are usually BNV, BMM and BLS types.

'Non PD' engine oils are 505 00 and will have not passed these PD specific engine tests.

There is no issue using PD oils in non PD engines, if anything they are over engineered for the application. I'd stick to a 5W-40 w/ 505 01 over 5W-30 or 10W-40 (where possible, ie DPF not fitted) in both PD and CR diesels.

4. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

I know the PD engines are very prone to cam wear having had to replace a few camshafts on them. ( and crank shafts )

as stated before Ive always been a great believer in using the proper oil in engines and don't like taking chances.

Im not going to say I know about how oils are engineered or tested but I have seen the results of not using the correct oil in engines.

the older VE engines in my eyes are a lot more reliable than the PD or CR engines. hence I still run a VE my self.

5. WoodyUK

Soldato

[​IMG]

Getting it tomorrow. Though won't be insuring it for a couple of days as I don't want to let on to my current insurers that I'm paying less for it than what they want to pay out for my ongoing claim :(

The "colour" looks better in the flesh than what the photo can show. :p
    Paint wise, I'd have preferred White/Blue/Black but it's in pretty good condition other than the mark by the front numberplate and fog cover - was offered to me at a great price so couldn't refuse!
    Interior and underneath is in surprisingly good condition too considering it's 06.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  6. Kenai

Capodecina

Why do your insurance need to know you've paid less? They only ask for an estimated value or market value, not their business if you paid below market value.

If I had paid £7500 for a £10000 car, the insurance would still be getting told the value is £10000

7. WoodyUK

Soldato

I've an ongoing claim (write off) for a car I bought 2 months ago for £15,000. They wanted to pay out £11500. After a bit of arguing with them I've told them it's not possible to place me back on the road in the same model/year/mileage/condition car and so I want a lot more than their initial offer of £11500. The claimhandler referred it to a senior team to re-evaluate the value etc etc to which I'm waiting to hear back from (though will chase up again tomorrow)

I just thought that if I then go and change my policy to a £10-£11,000 different model/year car then they might be less inclined to pay what I was hoping for.

8. rodenal

Capodecina

Well no, because it's a different car

9. Moeks

Sgarrista

They will go with the market value of the car you lost, which is probably going to be less than you actually paid if you bought it from a dealer (they aren't going to care what you have managed to buy in the meantime). This is why they try to sell you GAP insurance, which I could heap a lot of criticism on ...but in the case of where you buy a car of sufficient value and it's written off so quickly leaving you thousands out of pocket ...then it is actually worth something.

10. WoodyUK

Soldato

Alright, just didn't want to give them any excuse for trying to pay less especially when one of my arguments were that I could not afford to be placed in the same vehicle with the money they wanted to pay out.

I thought GAP was for financed vehicles / new vehicles - learn something new every day!

Private <-> Dealer prices aren't incredibly different for the car that was written off. There are none for sale at what they offered though, if there is then there's something wrong with it. (2008 Subaru WRX STI hatch, 25k miles)

The thread on it is here anyway.

11. Moeks

Sgarrista

It's usually used with financed vehicles and new vehicles yes but you can use it for cars that are a few years old you buy for cash, it just guarantees the invoice value of the vehicle for x amount of time should something happen to it.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  12. iaind

Capodecina

You've not been placed in the same vehicle though?

If you wanted to buy a £500 mk1 mondeo and the rest on haribo then you could. The argument about not being able to buy the same car for that price is still valid

13. Aeleys

Soldato

Potato cam

[​IMG]

14. MikeTimbers

Soldato

[​IMG]

240hp Portfolio XE in Ultimate Black, 18" Templar wheels, Light Oyster interior. Slight upgrade from my 1998 Vectra!

15. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

slight ??
    that's mega !

16. RoboCod

Capodecina

Diesel though :(

Looks lovely. How much if you don't mind me asking?

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

No it's not? :confused:

18. MikeTimbers

Soldato

No. it's not. It's a petrol, so to get in the digs before everyone else, the engine is made in the Ford factory in Valencia but to a ECU map designed by Jaguar. yes, the same basic engine is used in a Mondeo and a Focus ST and even a Galaxy. But I don't believe it is mapped to 240hp in any of those.

How much? It's on a PCP so I paid around £4K deposit, the annual mileage is limited to 8000 and the monthly payments just over £500, with a £12k minimum guaranteed value of 12K after four years. I got around 8% of list and have had it now since July. I love it and find myself making excuses to use it. The phone app is also really good allowing me to see all my journeys, the routes I took, the average speed and MPG. Best I've had was a 145 mile journey at 45.1 mpg with an average speed of approx 70mph ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  19. shadow_boxer

Sgarrista

Looks very smart.

20. ianh

Mobster

The Mondeo's mapped to that however lovely XE you've got there Mike.