1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show Us Your Motors!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Lop├ęz, Oct 18, 2002.

1. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

:eek:
    CHANGE YOUR OIL NOW!!!! this engine is not a PD engine it is the VE engine you will do damage running this on PD oil

give it an oil flush then change it to standard diesel oil with a new filter. who told you this engine is a PD?
    this is the older ( more reliable ) VE engine with the mechanical pump
    the PD has common rail and expensive electronic injectors!!

great cars though if serviced well and with the correct fluids will last for ever.
    is it the AFN or the AHF engine? there more or less the same engines and are bullet proof.
    get the EGR blanking plate fitted and if you get chance clean out the inlet manifold. youll gain better mpg and it will be more responsive.

EDIT: the correct oil for youre car is 5w-30 use a good quality oil in it and it will run for ever..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  2. ChrisD.

Capodecina

I never understand why people want their number plates obscured when posting pictures on forums? It's not as if you drive around in public with them obscured?

3. 4T5

Man of Honour

You 100% sure ? I've been misinformed if you are.
    What codes & where are they & I'll pop out & have a look. Appreciate the info/help either way. :cool:
    I don't mind changing the oil again so quick though if needed as it'll give it a good flush.

4. dacads

Capodecina

You never know..

Probably because it's easier for criminals to lurk online..

5. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

If you look in the spare wheel weel you will see a sticker. if you can take a picture ill give you the info from that.

and yes Im 110% positive Ive ran VW and Audi's for years and work on them regularly that is the VE engine..

6. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

7. ChrisD.

Capodecina

But what can you achieve with a number plate? It's not as if it's easy to obtain an address or name from one.

8. dacads

Capodecina

Plate cloning?

9. 4T5

Man of Honour

Cool, Cheers Bud. I knew it was the earlier one as it's the 110 with the 5 speed box the only GT TDi with a 5 speed box, Being the earlier more robust less expensive to fix one works for me.
    As for the Oil it won't hurt going from Fully Synthetic 5w/30 up to Fully Synthetic 5/40 or 10/40. The only issues you have with oil is if you mix the Fully with semi or Non.
    Appreciate the heads up though, Changing the Oil & Filter on these is so easy it's not even a pain to do. Good job I got the 5/30 cheap I've only wasted 27 quid instead of 45'ish :p

10. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

yea the older 110's are far more reliable and cheaper to fix I still run one with 200k on the clock its the Audi A4 quattro avant I have though.

We had the 130 pd passat and it wasn't as good on fuel and didint go aswell as the old 110 Passats or Audi's we've had.

I had an old 110 Passat sport that kept on going to over 500k after I sold it with 255k on it

My Audi gets 10/40 every oil change. I try and do it every 5k but that's just me.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  11. 4T5

Man of Honour

Appreciate the info & being corrected, Learn summit new every day even at my ripe old age. :cool:
    I'm happy to keep oil changes around the 5k mark as I know how important they are on a Derv, Where the oil filter is makes it easier than any other motor I've had which is a bonus as I intend keeping it which is why all the above work got done. :)

What's the best TDi Forum UK Based ?

12. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Because it's far easier to just look it up online if you need a registration number from a car of a certain make/model/trim than it is to aimlessly drive around until you see the one you need?

There are numerous cases of people having issues with cloned plates so it's a fairly sensible and prudent step to take to reduce the chance of it happening to you.

13. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

there's a good MK4 golf forum there's also

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/

14. Moeks

Sgarrista

What's more, you have nothing to lose by doing it ...except 1-2 minutes and potentially a lot of time and aggravation if you don't.

15. Simon

Capodecina

Absolute rubbish. 'PD' oil will cause no problems in a common rail engine. PD oil being 505 01.

However if it has a DPF it will need a 504/507 oil which can be 0W-30 or 5W-30

16. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

its to old for a DPF
    I personally would recommend running the engine on the correct oil.
    the correct PD oil is designed for the PD engines for a reason.

yes the older VE engines aren't as picky as the PD engines but I personally would not take the chance.

his engine is not a common rail!! it is a VE derived engine it has a mechanical injection pump which is plainly visible on the side of the block. the injectors are pressure operated hence the individual pipes going to each injector!!

A common rail engine has a fuel rail which supplies fuel to all 4 injectors at one time but then the injectors are electronically fired in time which is controlled through the ecu not a mechanical pump hence the need of only a fuel rail

17. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

I thought the PD wasn't common rail? It's PD..

18. Frozennova

Man of Honour

You do realise due to his work industry Simon knows more about oil than just about most of us on here

Neither the PD or VE are common rail. The common rail VAG engines are the 2litre from 2006 or there abouts

19. jbh110tdi

Wise Guy

Ive no ideas what Simon does for a living.
    I just know that the above engine is a non PD engine and in my personal opinion I wouldn't be running it on oil designed for a PD engine.

granted I do know that the older engines aren't as fussy as the PD engines and Ive had both engine types stripped down on several occasions.

Ive worked in the motor trade most of my life and have lost count on how many engines ive striped and rebuilt tbh. Ive always been a stickler for the correct oil being used!!

20. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You claimed the PD was common rail though so it doesn't seem like its an engine you are familiar with.