Show Us Your Motors!

[TW]Fox;29161797 said:
Not all of them, no.

Lets talk more about how special and not trim level like the 320d ED is, with its completely unique engine offered on none of the other cars in the range.

Do you think the M3 is a trim level of the 3 series?

If only they referred to it as spec and not trim eh? Trim conjours up the idea that its walnut instead of plastic, a button instead of a blanking plate etc. Trim doesnt directly relate to engines and mechanicals in peoples minds. Well, most.. Lol

[TW]Fox;29161852 said:
You know what, yes, it is really.

See that's where my opinion differs. For me a trim level is something you can pick in combination with engine choice.

I want a 320d SE. I want a 330i MSport.

You can't go and buy a 320d M3 though.

Nor can you go and buy a Focus 1.6 ST in the same way. They've just muddied waters by having two ST exclusive engines instead of one, whereas VW gave the diesel a different name, so it was a GTD rather than GTI diesel.

See that's where my opinion differs. For me a trim level is something you can pick in combination with engine choice.

I want a 320d SE. I want a 330i MSport.

You can't go and buy a 320d M3 though.

You can't go and buy a 325i ED either....

Not sure what you think 'diesel ST or petrol ST?' is if its not an engine choice, though...

ST has always been a trim level and was always intended to be such right from when it first appeared in 1996 on the Mk2 Ford Mondeo as.... a trim level of Ford Mondeo! Being able to choose which engine you want in your ST dates back 11 years too...

it's a halo sub-model for the range with bespoke chassis changes and a single high performance engine.

Agreed.

Almost like, I dunno, a Ford Focus ST!!!

M sport is a trim level. I've always associated trim level with optional equipment/aesthetic changes.

Agreed also.

The ST I would have argued was a sub-model but with the introduction of the diesel I would argue it's a weird hybrid model/trim level lol.

So when the CSL version of the E46 was released, the E46 M3 suddenly became a trim?

Exactly, hence my previous post where I said I consider the ED to be sub model. :confused:

It doesn't have to be a performance halo to count.

Isn't ED just a... well, I don't know what it's called, but it's exactly the same as VW's BlueMotion or Mercedes' BlueEfficiency, no? Monikers for their energy efficiency regimes/measures?

Isn't ED just a... well, I don't know what it's called, but it's exactly the same as VW's BlueMotion or Mercedes' BlueEfficiency, no? Monikers for their energy efficiency regimes/measures?

No, there is a special exclusive ED model, distinct from regular cars in the rest of the range which is only available with a detuned 20d engine that you can't spec in a regular M Sport or Luxury or whatever else.

[TW]Fox;29161936 said:
No, not like a Focus ST, thats just a trim level of Focus with a choice of engines, one tedious and humdrum, the other quite good. Perhaps it's like a Focus RS :D

What about the Fiesta ST? Only one engine choice, and you can't get the ST mechanicals, suspension and body kit on any other model of Fiesta. :p

Anyway, the way I see it, they are all trim levels (ST, RS, M3, RS4, AMG, M4 etc) or nothing, otherwise you just get into silly levels of arguing ( like in this thread) over what changes or differences constitute something being a model in its own right.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Almost like, I dunno, a Ford Focus ST!!!

Agreed also.

So when the CSL version of the E46 was released, the E46 M3 suddenly became a trim?

More like the Focus RS but I'm not averse to calling the ST a sub-model.

I'm going to blow some minds here but I'd argue the CSL was a sub-model of the sub-model...subception or a double halo, take your pick :p (In reality it was a special edition rather than a trim)

Epic discussion...to end this discussion below is an old pic of my 4 series coupe in M trim level :p

Kd9mxwV.jpg

Back
Top Bottom