Show Us Your Motors!

:D I'm normally rubbish at finding bargains (I call it a bargain, you guys probably call it a waste of money :p) but a guy on Rovertech had this for sale at £300 for a month or so.

After slowly reducing the price he dropped it down to £150. Turned out the guy works at the same place as I do and therefore doesn't live too far away so I went for it.

Bit of rust on the arches but I'll swap the front wings from the 420 when that gets new panels soon, apart from that it's solid. As I said, it doesn't run as it needs a cambelt but even if the engine is trashed when I do put a belt on there, I think there's about £300 worth of parts on it at the moment.

Going from a quick car to a little high revving 115bhp 1.6 should be a lot of fun, and it gives me another car to use when the 420 undergoes some major surgery in the future... depending how long I decide to keep the Coupe for.

It's not a bad looking car :)

My housemate used to have a charcoal Coupe Turbo on standard 15" wheels and it looked a bit pants.

I really really like the MG Straights (I also really really like green cars ;)) and depending on the weight difference between the Straights and the OZs on the 420, I might swap them.

Needs a new cambelt to run but only paid £150 for it. The wheels alone are worth £100.

So you're still £50 down? :P

Jokes. Can't go wrong for £150, nice little project to work on. I'd be tempted to rip absolutely everything out of it, bang some scaffolding in and get it down the track

:p

It has a few other bits... a Mongoose exhaust (they're good, I use one on my other car) and lowering springs.

If I stripped it out I'd want to get some strut braces and other mods for it. The 420 is loaded with strut braces and polybushes and I don't really want to spend any money on the Coupe as that would negate the point of getting it.

I could use the Coupe to get some track experience and then after I've done a few sessions in that, take the 420 on.

I've done things the wrong way round I guess, getting a Coupe for pottering about and then having a proper grandad-style saloon for modifying.

So, you meant that if I fitted another ECU I'd have the check engine light on constantly?

(Last post I promise, don't want to take the thread OT too much :o)

A few bits have been added to my car since the last post in here:

First off a 2Bular 4-1 Manifold, Silenced De Cat and 8X22 exhaust have been fitted.

A much more civilized sounding exhaust, droning and booming has been dramatically reduced and a conversation can be attempted while cruising down the motorway :p

04072009025.jpg

04072009026.jpg

04072009027.jpg

Yesterday I fitted Scroth 4 point harnesses to the drivers side of the car. A huge improvement in not moving about under braking/cornering. The only downside is acute junctions can be difficult until the harness is slackened off by quick release straps.

DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Then today I fitted new front and rear towing eyes, the front was a bit grubby and there isn't one on the rear as standard. I also fitted new door striker pins as the standard ones are just a smidge too small in diameter resulting in the door creating noise bouncing up and down :p

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

Trackday at Colerne on Saturday, can't wait!

Next up is to have different injectors fitted and a custom remap done for the car, that will allow the throttle to open fully (70-80% as standard).
It should bring the car up to 270 or 280bhp :D

Neil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom