1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show Us Your Motors!

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Lopéz, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Housey

Man of Honour

Bending a rental at the Ring is not good. Also if you’re new rent something small and light and learn the flow. Pace at the Ring comes from getting to flow right. A big powerful car is going to get tired if you don’t know it well (braking too hard) and risky if you don’t know the flow or are seasoned on tracks.

Last time I went one of my mates rented a Suzuki Swift. He is fast, experienced and a race winner. He raced in the big BTCC Ginettas, Britcar, MX5’s and endurance in various cars internationally. He found the limits of the Swift in half a lap but found it useful to follow another mate who is a ring hand with over 400 laps there to learn the flow. Front car was a McLaren and he stuck the Swift to its tail (the McLaren wasn’t flat out) and was into low 9’s after a couple of laps in a Swift. He paid around 2k I think for that and the excess was I think 10k..on a Swift!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  2. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Excess on the hire car is one thing, damage to the track / rescue / medical costs are quite another!

3. Acme

Caporegime

Ooft. Makes it an even scarier prospect than taking your own car.

Further re-enforcing my stance that I'll never drive round the ring. :p

4. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

In your own car you would still get hit with Armco costs, track closure, towing, medical bills etc. A small shunt on the ring can get very expensive very quickly.

5. DAIR

Sgarrista

Real shame.... Missing out.

Great place.... Dangerous but still great.

6. Acme

Caporegime

Just couldn't bring myself to risk smashing my car up. There are so many idiots on the track, as well as people going crazy fast, bikers, cars dropping oil, crappy road surfaces, etc... I'd love to go round in the ring taxi though! That might be the closest I get. Unless I buy a disposable hot hatch to thrash round and then sell if it survives. :p

7. Vita

Capodecina

Civic type r

8. Acme

Caporegime

Cheaper than that. Clio 172 thats overdue a belt, Corolla T-Sport pre facelift with moon miles on eBay coilovers. Maybe a rusty MX5 though obviously not a hatch lol. :p

9. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

Yes definitely got the ring taxi lap on the cards when I go.

Last year when we rented a golf GTI over two days, I took out the insurance policy to cover us for the weekend, driving on track and took out the extra Armco cover.

If it’s your first time probably best to go on track either late evening or early in the morning when it’s more quiet and it goes without saying - go easy.

I imagine a lot of people don’t bother taking out track day insurance for it but for us it was worth it for the piece of mind.

Worth noting though that if you write the car off in a accident you have to pay the full whack of excess (I think nearly £20k on the golf GTI - with the company we rented from), upfront straight away and then go through the insurance claim to get your money back. How strict they are on this if you have taken out 3rd party insurance I’m not sure.

10. Beansprout

Man of Honour

Just do a good track day in something cheap, wouldn't bother with TF unless you're only going for a few laps of fun or can go at a quiet time, or are pretty confident and can avoid the nutters :D

11. Regy53

Mobster

Can’t can’t insert image

12. Homer-Simpson

Wise Guy

13. Regy53

Mobster

2015 r8 v10 plus with a a fair few box’s ticked :)

Deposit placed but I’m sure it’s all easy from here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dis86

Capodecina

Parking it seemingly isn't so easy. How'd you spanner up the massive space?!

15. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Great looking car!!!

16. Gibbo

Commissario

Looks epic that mate, big step up over the GTR, enjoy! :)

17. mrk

Man of Honour

Box's what though?!

18. Regy53

Mobster

Sorry for the
    Don’t ask, the salesman said to park there. I was conscious of kerbs and their car. I wouldn’t normally park this way.

Many thanks the gen 2 is crazy different compared to my first gen 1 it’s another league

Thanks, I know you but you don’t know me I don’t have a gtr :) never have

Sorry just option boxes. It’s a nicely ticked car. I can’t belive but even cruise control was still a extra in these

19. Housey

Man of Honour

All these V10’s

20. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

I'm liking my V8 :(

Seen some power mods to take it to 740bhp... tempting