Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Cars don't need running in anymore.
Correct but does that mean they don't improve with a few miles ? That's kind of what I meant. In the MX-5 manual it states no running in is necessary but some precautions may improve performance, efficiency and reliability in the future. Probably not enough to feel I suppose but when I had a Z4 3.0 Si coupe it really seemed to come alive with a good few miles on it.

Caporegime
Got myself a little cheap weekend car today. Been 31 years since I last owned one. Forgot how much fun they were. :D:D:D:D

9980XE @ 4.6 , 64GB 3466Mhz , Asus R6E Omega , Blue WC

Caporegime
The manuals for BMW M-cars disagree!

OK so its "needed" but not like it used to be, you're not going to be draining your oil after 1000 miles and sifting out bits of cylinder and valve that were too big and got shaved off like with a 70's Ford. :p

He said that he thought maybe performance was impacted because it wasn't fully run in. I said that modern cars won't need running in to the point that the performance is affected because tolerances are so tight from new. Its more of a heat cycles thing. Unless it is coded to run differently until it reaches a certain mileage.

Man of Honour
OK so its "needed" but not like it used to be, you're not going to be draining your oil after 1000 miles and sifting out bits of cylinder and valve that were too big and got shaved off like with a 70's Ford. :p

He said that he thought maybe performance was impacted because it wasn't fully run in. I said that modern cars won't need running in to the point that the performance is affected because tolerances are so tight from new. Its more of a heat cycles thing. Unless it is coded to run differently until it reaches a certain mileage.

On some cars the ECU will "learn" as you drive building a profile for various temperature parameters, etc.

EDIT: Though in my experience those that do it at all tend to just adjust to your current driving style rather than build some kind of longer term profile.

Soldato

After 'running in' double-digit volumes of new cars over the last 9 years I can tell you that they certainly do not perform properly straight out of the box. The engines start off typically feel 'tight', and somewhat gutless. They improve dramatically over the first 500-1000 miles, and then continue to improve more slowly even up to 10k.

Soldato
Got myself a little cheap weekend car today. Been 31 years since I last owned one. Forgot how much fun they were. :D:D:D:D

9980XE @ 4.6 , 64GB 3466Mhz , Asus R6E Omega , Blue WC

Looks wonderful! Welcome to the OCUK MG, and British car club :D Even the hoss likes it! (Even though the big hoss, has a small hoss poking out of it's bum)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
some of them come with 1.4 don't they :D
So does my Golf and that has 55+
Honestly the 1.4/1.5 engine isn't bad at all for such a small engine. You really notice the lack of power at motorway speeds but around town it's acceptable.

I'd dread to think what something like a Superb with that engine or an Octavia with a 1.0 would be like though :eek:

Back
Top Bottom