Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato

One supercharger rebuild, a set of plugs and coils, and a spring conversion later, the 1k L322 is fixed, or as fixed as a 1k range rover is ever going to be, anyway. Gave it a good thrashing around the mountain dirt roads today and it didn't put a foot wrong. If it continues behaving itself I might spend a little on cosmetics but I'm going to see how well it does over the next few months first.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Fitted composite rear leaf spring in the Corvette today dropping around 25kg from rear.

After tweaking the spacing blocks to below the spring anchor point was able to get the ride height about an inch above where I want but I’ve set it a little high for now as supposedly they do tend to settle around an inch after a week.

F044ECDA-68BE-4EFB-95D9-8E919C9A3DA0.jpeg 9A8399D0-CA7C-4FAE-8076-A178D3511F1F.jpeg 93DC285E-BCA9-4E44-9266-F5C033CDF0C9.jpeg

Next job is remove all the AC stuff around 50-60kg and then drop the front height with some new springs.

The composite spring has transformed the ride quality now it’s so comfy but remains so flat and composed in corners, great ride and decent handling for what is an old classic car.

Soldato
Hi there

Fitted composite rear leaf spring in the Corvette today dropping around 25kg from rear.

After tweaking the spacing blocks to below the spring anchor point was able to get the ride height about an inch above where I want but I’ve set it a little high for now as supposedly they do tend to settle around an inch after a week.

F044ECDA-68BE-4EFB-95D9-8E919C9A3DA0.jpeg 9A8399D0-CA7C-4FAE-8076-A178D3511F1F.jpeg 93DC285E-BCA9-4E44-9266-F5C033CDF0C9.jpeg

Next job is remove all the AC stuff around 50-60kg and then drop the front height with some new springs.

The composite spring has transformed the ride quality now it’s so comfy but remains so flat and composed in corners, great ride and decent handling for what is an old classic car.

Does the AC running gear really come to that? I know it's old but that seems on the heavy side. I think the last time I weighed all the AC gear for a Evo V it came to about 20kg.

OcUK Staff
Does the AC running gear really come to that? I know it's old but that seems on the heavy side. I think the last time I weighed all the AC gear for a Evo V it came to about 20kg.

Yep on these older American cars it can be 50-70kg just like changing the rear spring out can save upto 30kg. They were not built with weight in mind it was only really around the 1980’s they became far more conscious of trying to reduce weight due to engines have far less power due to emission laws introduced in early 70’s.

It is why I originally wanted a 1982 C3 as those had composite rear spring, thinners panels, lighter differentials as standard to try and compensate for losing around 100-150 horses as a 1982 C3 small block is probably close to 400-500kg lighter than say a late 60’s big block C3.

I got mine as it was the start of weight reduction but more because it was a Pace Car and so a much nicer ownership proposition for me, proper piece of history, plus it has a good history file but more important it’s rot free as C3’s suffer from rot big time which most potential buyers don’t realise due to fibreglass body but that shell is attached to a steel birdcage which rots.

Soldato
Yep on these older American cars it can be 50-70kg just like changing the rear spring out can save upto 30kg. They were not built with weight in mind it was only really around the 1980’s they became far more conscious of trying to reduce weight due to engines have far less power due to emission laws introduced in early 70’s.

It is why I originally wanted a 1982 C3 as those had composite rear spring, thinners panels, lighter differentials as standard to try and compensate for losing around 100-150 horses as a 1982 C3 small block is probably close to 400-500kg lighter than say a late 60’s big block C3.

I got mine as it was the start of weight reduction but more because it was a Pace Car and so a much nicer ownership proposition for me, proper piece of history, plus it has a good history file but more important it’s rot free as C3’s suffer from rot big time which most potential buyers don’t realise due to fibreglass body but that shell is attached to a steel birdcage which rots.

That's actual savings worth doing. Saying that it's gone somewhat backward today in some instances. You obviously have a GR, so you've probably noticed the number of people swapping out the standard forged feet for heavier alternatives.

Ah, see you missed a trick there. Rot is the biggest saving going :cry:

OcUK Staff
That's actual savings worth doing. Saying that it's gone somewhat backward today in some instances. You obviously have a GR, so you've probably noticed the number of people swapping out the standard forged feet for heavier alternatives.

Ah, see you missed a trick there. Rot is the biggest saving going :cry:

Yeah I get why they do it to not damage the expensive ones but what’s point in having such nice wheels I’d want to have them on the car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok not quite as clean as the Evo that gets posted here but still, its a 28 year old Mitsubishi that gets used weekly. Excuse the snow foam! 10 internet point to the user who knows what it is :D

I wouldn't worry, it never ends. I'm talking to my mate about getting the door and boot shuts painted. Then Ohlins, and laile shifter. Sometimes you have to take these cars for what they are, which is old lol.

Few more shots from drive on Saturday.

U3hHLQD.jpg

LdcSCjM.jpg

74EoTPp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom