Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Got rid of the Q8 last week and finally decided to join the electric car crew. Been a while since I've been in a performance car (m4 was the last one back in 2018 before it got stolen). I know it's looks are marmite but picked up an EQE 53 AMG with the performance pack (carbon ceramics and performance boost) and hyper screen option. I actually love it, 0-60 3.2 seconds it's an absolute rocket ship but also bloody comfortable in comfort mode and the interior quality is so much better than the other options on the market. Real world Range in this colder temps is around 250 miles as well which given the performance and 4wd is pretty good.

Associate
They either as a dealership has poor insurance or are blagging you as I was given an Artura for three days, must have put like 500-600 miles on it, cracking car to drive, just lacking drama in looks and sound departments, the new Spider is far better looking though.

McLaren have 4+ servicing now which is 20-30% of retail servicing cost for cars four years or older.
So a minor is now about £700 down from £950 and a major is £1300 down from £1700. So always make sure your getting the discount. :)

I'm fairly sure it's genuine, maybe with it being Birmingham postcodes etc has unique challenges on insurance but it's very bizarre. Wonder if the RR part of the dealership has the same challenges

My service is the 10 year one so big one and it's £1550, Thorney were coming in at £1530 iirc - McLaren service chap did say it was on the 4+ discount plan though :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Got rid of the Q8 last week and finally decided to join the electric car crew. Been a while since I've been in a performance car (m4 was the last one back in 2018 before it got stolen). I know it's looks are marmite but picked up an EQE 53 AMG with the performance pack (carbon ceramics and performance boost) and hyper screen option. I actually love it, 0-60 3.2 seconds it's an absolute rocket ship but also bloody comfortable in comfort mode and the interior quality is so much better than the other options on the market. Real world Range in this colder temps is around 250 miles as well which given the performance and 4wd is pretty good.

This makes me feel uncomfortable. Something about it being a '53' badge, but mostly something about that interior. Way OTT IMHO.

Must have cost a bomb tho!

Soldato
This makes me feel uncomfortable. Something about it being a '53' badge, but mostly something about that interior. Way OTT IMHO.

Must have cost a bomb tho!
Yh I don't particularly care for the 53 badging.

625hp though and the instant torque is brutal.

It's a 1 year old demo with 1k miles on the clock...I wouldn't buy it new, 135k list price per the order form, picked it up for a smidge under 70. Eye watering depreciation.

The hyperscreen set up I was on the fence about but I prefer it to the middle ipad dash that is the non specd option and the new MBUX system is very good I think, better than the BMW and Audi implementations I'm use to. Don't think the cockpit feel translates well on photos, in the flesh I think it's pretty nice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Modern Mercs all tend to look like half melted slugs, thats kind of expected now, but that interior with all those screens is simply awful.

If it had some buttons and rotary knobs and some texture and depth it would look good, but it kind of just looks... Bad? And is really bad for ergonomics and safety too.

This trend needs to stop before they start putting indicators and headlight controls on a screen too. :o

The turbine vents are nice though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Modern Mercs all tend to look like half melted slugs, thats kind of expected now, but that interior with all those screens is simply awful.

If it had some buttons and rotary knobs and some texture and depth it would look good, but it kind of just looks... Bad? And is really bad for ergonomics and safety too.

This trend needs to stop before they start putting indicators and headlight controls on a screen too. :o

The turbine vents are nice though.
Fair enough on looks, personal preference ultimately. On safety not sure I follow. The head up display has all the info I need from a navigation and safety perspective (it's also significantly larger than anything I've seen in terms of HUD, not just your usual arrows it has a section of the nav map). And in terms of climate controls etc I have only used voice control in the week I've had it and works perfectly so never had to take eyes off the road to change settings. Still phyiscal buttons for windows, car seat adjustment on the door cards and also some physical buttons on the central armrest consol as well which is out of shot.

Caporegime
Fair enough on looks, personal preference ultimately. On safety not sure I follow. The head up display has all the info I need from a navigation and safety perspective (it's also significantly larger than anything I've seen in terms of HUD, not just your usual arrows it has a section of the nav map). And in terms of climate controls etc I have only used voice control in the week I've had it and works perfectly so never had to take eyes off the road to change settings. Still phyiscal buttons for windows, car seat adjustment on the door cards and also some physical buttons on the central armrest consol as well which is out of shot.

I can do anything in my car without taking my eyes off the road. You cant feel where things are on a screen.

What is the difference between taking your eyes off the road to dig through a menu to change your heated seat setting or your climate control options, and taking your eyes off the road to read a text?

Its daft. Fair enough if you can use voice control, but I don't want to talk to my car. That sounds annoying as hell. Especially if you have a passenger you are trying to talk to.

Having a HUD on the windscreen is a safety upgrade for sure though!

Last edited:
Soldato
I can do anything in my car without taking my eyes off the road. You cant feel where things are on a screen.

What is the difference between taking your eyes off the road to dig through a menu to change your heated seat setting or your climate control options, and taking your eyes off the road to read a text?

Its daft. Fair enough if you can use voice control, but I don't want to talk to my car. That sounds annoying as hell. Especially if you have a passenger you are trying to talk to.

Having a HUD on the windscreen is a safety upgrade for sure though!
How often are you changing settings on your car regarding climate or other settings lol! In any given journey I may use voice control once or twice so it's hardly an issue. I can use steering wheel and head up display for media and nav. I will say I agree with you on no physical buttons on the Teslas which do not have a HUD which frankly is ridiculous (along with their recent move of indicators to a button on the steering wheel).

Last edited:
Caporegime
How often are you changing settings on your car regarding climate or other settings lol! In any given journey I may use voice control once or twice so it's hardly an issue. I can use steering wheel and head up display for media and nav. I will say I agree with you on no physical buttons on the Teslas which do not have a HUD which frankly is ridiculous (along with their recent move of indicators to a button on the steering wheel).

Well, I guess I must change them more than you. :p

Turn the heat up cos im cold, turn it down a bit when I'm getting too warm, switch it to defrost if needed, turn the fan speed up to defrost faster, turn heated mirrors on or off, heated rear window on or off, all that stuff yknow. Normal stuff!

Sometimes you want to turn the heated seats on or off or up or down, or the heated steering wheel if you have one, etc.

If they put a way to change climate settings on the steering wheel, one side climate, one side audio, and have a little thing pop up on the HUD when you change something, and then it goes away again, that would be A-OK with me!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I guess I must change them more than you. :p

Turn the heat up cos im cold, turn it down a bit when I'm getting too warm, switch it to defrost if needed, turn the fan speed up to defrost faster, turn heated mirrors on or off, heated rear window on or off, all that stuff yknow. Normal stuff!

Sometimes you want to turn the heated seats on or off or up or down, or the heated steering wheel if you have one, etc.

If they put a way to change climate settings on the steering wheel, one side climate, one side audio, and have a little thing pop up on the HUD when you change something, and then it goes away again, that would be A-OK with me!

Rumour has it some cars have climate control not just heater settings :p

Soldato
I had a Taycan recently, which has touch everything. Was fine until I needed to do something.

Never had to stop a car on the side of a road before and look something up online. Felt like such a boomer :p

It also stopped working, a lot. System freezes, unresponsive touch and crashing. Had to stop the car at one point, turn it off, get out, lock it, wait 30s and get back in.

Was very nice to get back in my Boxster with normal buttons.

Back
Top Bottom