Show Us Your Racks

Shame I can't post any pics, but my new toy is a 2U, dual quad core VMware ESX Box with 20GB of RAM and 6 NICS. Curently running 23 servers with room for another 40 or so more. Compressed two racks into 2U, bargin.

I do temp work in the summer and work on a major UK police account doing IT services. I went to one of their datacentres a while back, walked down one row of racks staring in amazement, and then realised that the 14 cabinets I'd just seen were nothing more than their EMC storage boxes.

There were 8 rows of racks in that room. 14 cabinets a row, all full of kit. That datacentre was one of 6. It scares me to think how much all their kit cost!

IronFire said:
Shame I can't post any pics, but my new toy is a 2U, dual quad core VMware ESX Box with 20GB of RAM and 6 NICS. Curently running 23 servers with room for another 40 or so more. Compressed two racks into 2U, bargin.

Sounds like what we're up to although not compressing the servers down as much as you. Currently we have 2 x Dell 6850s and a CX300 to consolidate around 30 servers or so.

BTW if you have all that running on 1 serer aren't you worried what happens if it blows ?

We dont use racks, but have around 25-28 servers spread over a few sites.

Might take some snaps if anyone is interested.

We use mostly dell and ibm; along with a some high spec pcs for the simple servers tasks such as running mailmeter (archiving software)

Dangerous said:
Pics no bigger than 800*600

7.jpg

Wait a min ? I hope all that isnt plugged straight into them poor wall sockets? :p

I spose u have 3/4 UPS behind that lot ( well i hope you do )

Lol

Jay

iamgud said:
You need a disclaimer "Please get permission from the person who pays the bills".

Yea we've probbably got well in excess of £1m worth of cisco\agilent\dell kit sitting in out labs but I know they wouldn't appreceiate pics turning up on the web. Not worth the risk.

If only i were still in college, we had a dual core rack built for a local LAN party for one of our assigments, god we were fast building it, it took quite a while clamping the heads on the RJ-45's though they gave us bare wire!

but in the end we had a nice game of doom :D.

I'll see if I can grab some snaps of our server-room tomorrow; and you can all ph33r my neat patching :rolleyes:

edit: might wait for our new Citrix servers to turn up actually; 6x Dell 2950s with a Quad Xeon each and 16gb Ram, couldn't convince the boss we needed 2x Quad Xeons in each one :(

Last edited:
kkthxbye said:
Erm...WTF are these things in your home? and what the hell you got them all doing, I go to multiplay lans and thats the only time iv seen anything like these.

They are at work, i dont think anyone needs that kind of setup at home

Apologies for the quality - these are off my old phone and I cba to walk down and take any new ones:

Lots of these:

Filled with lots of these:

Got disks? ;)

We've got approx 600 servers spread across 5 sites in the UK, with all the storage sat on Dell|EMC FC SANs.

Had a 42u rack in my living room at home for years.....then my gf (now wife) moved in.......ooh they don't have much love for racks! Took an angle grinder to mine and it's now a stubby rack sitting under my computer desk :)

Last edited:
Von Luck said:
Apologies for the quality - these are off my old phone and I cba to walk down and take any new ones:

Lots of these:

Filled with lots of these:

Got disks? ;)

We've got approx 600 servers spread across 5 sites in the UK, with all the storage sat on Dell|EMC FC SANs.

Had a 42u rack in my living room at home for years.....then my gf (now wife) moved in.......ooh they don't have much love for racks! Took an angle grinder to mine and it's now a stubby rack sitting under my computer desk :)

Nice

Where do you work?

Back
Top Bottom