Show Us Your Racks

BoomAM said:
What are all your lots views on Dells for workstations?
From a price standpoint, for companines with limited budgets, they cant really be beaten can they?

we buy a combination of dells and hp's. For Dells the warranty is excellent, 3 years next buisiness day on site warranty (i work for a construction firm and we have even had them go to the orkney islands to fix a dvd drive). HP's warranty is not great (1 year warranty) and we have to bring it to a hp approved site (which they take it and log and then a week later its ready to get picked up)

Hmm.
We have nothing but problems with our HP Printers.

HP printers use to be very very good (old work horses like the hp lj4, we still have some of them here working away, not the fastest but very reliable)

The newer hp's printers are not really up to much, if they last 2 or 3 years thats the height of them (we have had numerous ones last just over the year warranty)

for plotters , you still cant beat HP's

For printers/photocopiers we use Kyoceria Mita ones, (lifetime warranty on the drums as well)

BoomAM said:
What are all your lots views on Dells for workstations?
From a price standpoint, for companines with limited budgets, they cant really be beaten can they?

Well it depends what you want, if cheap is the main concern and you take into account they'll break and you have a few spares around then why not I guess...critical workstations, I'd still go HP to be honest but it depends where your priorities are...

nickcardwell said:
we buy a combination of dells and hp's. For Dells the warranty is excellent, 3 years next buisiness day on site warranty (i work for a construction firm and we have even had them go to the orkney islands to fix a dvd drive). HP's warranty is not great (1 year warranty) and we have to bring it to a hp approved site (which they take it and log and then a week later its ready to get picked up)

HP warranty is a get what you pay for thing, we get 6 hour fix on all our HP kit, that beats next day...

Bug One said:
You can't really blame a printer for running out of toner. :p
But when the HP Colour has the same workload as the Brother Colour, yet runs out 4x quicker, i'd have to argue that the Brother was more economical. :p
Baz said:
Shop around, you would be surprised.
What makes do you recommend then?
We (I, :p) shoot off quotes to about 4-5 suppliers with a rough spec and see what they can come up with. Dell are constantly the best price/spec, and for the place i work, the NBD service is excellent.

From a job I had 4 years ago
Rack_s.jpg

Hmm.
We have nothing but problems with our HP Printers. But they do get a good hammering. We have the 2600s as the colours and about 3-4 different Black/Whites, all regularly jam, run out of toner, random errors, ect;
We've started buying Brother 2700s/Brother 5270s and they have been almost perfect for us. Touch wood, thus far no jams, only one toner replacement in the 2 months we've had them (and that was on the most used printer we have). Pretty impressed.
Buy some Phasers ;)

You can have one 2 year old picture of our Redbus racks with none of the equipment on show. If you want to see more you'll have to come for a 'tour' and, if you do that, we make you buy something :p.

thesuite.jpg

Time for a new website I think, www.rackperverts.com

OMG, that pic makes baby jesus cry!

When I worked for ****** on contract to ****, we were specifically told under no circumstances should we take pictures on site. This could land you in jail apparently.

I work in a far more relaxed environment, but things aren't as sexy server wise these days, just a few HPs and Cisco equipment, although our IT is spread over 20 or so sites around the UK.

What I will say is that Dell is absolutely fantastic. We only ever buy Dell laptops and workstations because they rarely have a problem (We have around 2400 Dell workstations, 88 Laptops) We use HP for Servers, but that is because we are forced to. I used to really rate Compaq stuff before they got into bed with HP. A prime example is that the other day a disk failed at a remote site (its easier for our Dutch IT team to go there than it is for me to drive across country to) and so I phoned HP expecting it to be solved quite quickly. The long and short of it is, that after an hour of speaking to a gormless cretin on some Indian callcentre, the wrong part was dispatched 2 days late and the engineer took another 2 days to fix the problem (removed the old disk and insert the new disk), so thats a 4 hour response turned into 5 days. When I rang to complain, I was told that they had responded within 4 hours, apparently they only have to e-mail you back or otherwise contact you within 4 hours. What a crock of ****

Dell on the other hand respond next business day. The engineer will phone you to let you know he is on the way and when to expect him, they get you to do one or two diagnostics, I don't know where people get the idea that they get you to jump through hoops and a replacement is fitted promptly and professionally.

I would rather cut my own testicles off with a blunt spoon than buy HP again thanks to the experiences I have had with them. Not only are they the most expensive, but the products that I have experienced have been diabolical along with the service.

As with anything in life your mileage may vary.

Some of you people are so lucky to have cool jobs working in a data centre. Hopefully once ive finished my degree and done 8 years or so of helpdesk/tech support work hopefully ill be able to get a job at a data centre

Back
Top Bottom