Shuttle SZ68R5 Review

Associate
OP
No the new bios does not have ram timings yet, although it does now pick up my 4x4GB sticks at 1600MHz.

Having said the above, I did some digging and enabled some hidden bios stuff and have found both ram settings and PLL voltage overide settings. The bad news is that I can no longer find any power overides so its back to throttling.

On a much more positive note. I can now boot into windows at 5GHz, with that and the full ram speed / settings i'm getting much better performamce in single thread applications. Multi thread just causes throttling due to hitting the maximum power.

I shall have to keep looking for the power overide.

Soldato
No the new bios does not have ram timings yet, although it does now pick up my 4x4GB sticks at 1600MHz.

Having said the above, I did some digging and enabled some hidden bios stuff and have found both ram settings and PLL voltage overide settings. The bad news is that I can no longer find any power overides so its back to throttling.

On a much more positive note. I can now boot into windows at 5GHz, with that and the full ram speed / settings i'm getting much better performamce in single thread applications. Multi thread just causes throttling due to hitting the maximum power.

I shall have to keep looking for the power overide.

5ghz is pretty impressive in such a small rig :)

Associate
OP
Sorted the power :)

Now runs at 5GHz nice and solid. Have run Prime95 for 1/2 hour and temps with the water are in mid 70's so well controlled. The CPU multi sits at x50 most of the time with the odd dip to x49 or x48 but these seen minimal.

Really please with this bios, although Shuttle are clearly not 100% on it yet hense the memory timings still being hidden away.

Associate
OP
SX68R5_2600K@5100MHz_SuperPi1M.png

SX68R5_2600K@5200MHz_SuperPi1M.png

SX68R5_2600K@5300MHz_SuperPi1M.png

Associate
OP
Been trying the 3770K Ivy Bridge in the SZ68R5 over the past 24 hours.
As with everyone trying Ivy bridge, its hot and does not overclock as well as my 2600K Sandy Bridge.

I'm seeing a very small improvement in benchmark scores clock for clock.

To my great pleasure, I notice that my Nvidia 680 is running pci-e 3.0 on the Z68 chipset with the 3770K and I am seeing a reasonable improvement in 3D benchmarks and games, which i put down to pci-e 3 in the main.

With the latest Bios my 2600K will run quite happily at 5GHz or 4.8GHz with sensible voltage. The 3770K will bench at 4.7 but its not totally stable... 4.6 is all the way and 4.4 sensible. In nearly every test the 2600K at 4.8 is better than the 3770K at 4.4GHz

Mab

Mab

Associate
Hi,

The new BIOS has been released:SZ68R000.201.

Problem: I did not find on Shuttle website any tutorial to explain how to upgrade it. Usually it is under "utilities". I sent a request to customer support but still no feedback.
So I was wondering: as the BIOS is an AMI BIOS, shall I use AFUWIN to flash the BIOS, as explained in the link below?
http://us.shuttle.com/SCGFaq/attachments/132/amibios.pdf

I could read that some of you did already upgrade their BIOS. It would be nice if someone could explain to me how to perform it?

I am running W7 prof. 64x. / BIOS current version is 1.05

Thank's.

Associate
OP
Hi,

The new BIOS has been released:SZ68R000.201.

Problem: I did not find on Shuttle website any tutorial to explain how to upgrade it. Usually it is under "utilities". I sent a request to customer support but still no feedback.
So I was wondering: as the BIOS is an AMI BIOS, shall I use AFUWIN to flash the BIOS, as explained in the link below?
http://us.shuttle.com/SCGFaq/attachments/132/amibios.pdf

I could read that some of you did already upgrade their BIOS. It would be nice if someone could explain to me how to perform it?

I am running W7 prof. 64x. / BIOS current version is 1.05

Thank's.

Hi there.

The file you download is a zip file and it contains 3 packages. One you can use to flash from windows 64bit, one windows 32bit and the other DOS.

Personally I prefer to flash via dos although it is more complex.

To flash via windows, simply extract the W64 files from the zip and run the application.

From DOS - copy the files onto a USB stick. Boot into dos and run the FLASH.BAT file from your USB stick.

Flashing back to 104 or 105 is a little more complex but can be done.
I am now using the SZ77R5 107 bios on my SZ68R5 and finding it rather good. It's a risk, but works well for me and gives higher power options and Ram settings control.

Mab

Mab

Associate
Thank you Simon.

Actually thank's also for the review you made about the SZ68R5. It convinced me to go for it in replacement of my "old" SD39P2.

Associate
OP
@SimonMaltby

Just want to say thanks, I'm considering a shuttle, and this has been an invaluable resource indeed...

Thanks for this... I don't get anything from the reviews so they are a labour of love. I was due to review the SZ77R5 as well but that seems to have gone wrong as the retailer that Shuttle sent the review unit to have not sent it on to me :(

Back
Top Bottom