Shuttle SZ68R5 Review

Soldato
My only slight concern is how noisy it might be, ive got a spare fractal 92mm fan I will probably use, and my 570 will probably get a little noisy being a twin frozr iii type in a case with little airflow, whats the psu like noise wise?

Associate
OP
My only slight concern is how noisy it might be, ive got a spare fractal 92mm fan I will probably use, and my 570 will probably get a little noisy being a twin frozr iii type in a case with little airflow, whats the psu like noise wise?

PSU noise is non existant :)
Fan upgrade would be worthwhile.
Can't really comment on the GPU as i don't know the cooler.

Associate
You may have to knock up a couple of brackets to hold the SSD under the caddy and using lower height memory modules. Or maybe behind the optical at the top. Are SSD's the same size as 2.5" drives?

Associate
OP
Right its arrived, and im happy with it other than the fact it is running my ram at 1333 and there is no option to change it?

I'm putting pressure on Shuttle over this. They said they would be adding mem adjustment in the bios back in january and its still not there :(

Personally. 2x4GB sticks works fine and is seen at 1600MHz while 4x4GB sticks is only picked up at 1333MHz

I must say, however, that the performance difference between the 2 is really tiny.

I just brought 16GB of the 30nm Samsung ram that should clock well, so i'm really keen for a bios that lets me use it.

Associate
OP
Just put my Samsungs in and all 16GB is at 1600MHz :)
Although SPD is CAS 11 :( and again I cant alter as it will do much better.
These things are tiny. The ram sticks dont even come up above the ram clips LOL

Soldato
Just put my Samsungs in and all 16GB is at 1600MHz :)
Although SPD is CAS 11 :( and again I cant alter as it will do much better.
These things are tiny. The ram sticks dont even come up above the ram clips LOL

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer's they have xmp profiles for 1600 so it must be a compatibility issue, ive had these at 2133 cas9 1.5v on other z68 boards

Soldato
PSU is by far the loudest thing in mine :( GPU was noisy with side panel off so ive take it off, not all I can hear is the PSU not a happy bunny

Unfortunately I cant live with the noise of the psu so Im going to have to send it back :(

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Brad... sorry I missed you on MSN... Wednesday night is Forza race night for me :)

I think there must be something wrong mate, my PSU is very, very quiet and the other two PSU's I have had (another 500W and a 300W) have been very similar. Also no one else i'm comunicating with who has an SZ68R5 has said the PSU is anything other than really quiet.

I think you have a rogue one by the sound of it. are you quite sure its the PSU and not the Case fan?

Try re-mounting the PSU maybe. Other than that get onto support and get them to send you a replacement PSU. It really should be very quiet.

Soldato
No worries :)

Yeah definately the psu as I managed to stop the fan and the noise difference was unbelievable, the thing is tho when I hooked it all up at work yesterday afternoon I was pleasantly suprised how quiet it seemed, in fairness that was in an office out in the warehouse and it was pretty warm last night at home so might just be the ambient temperature, eitherway as it is I cant live with it if its going to be that noisy and that was also with the lid off, with the lid on my 570 started to get noisy too.

Its a shame as other than the ram issue I really like it.

Soldato
Ok update, got totally fed up and have asked for an RMA which as yet hasnt been accepted or replied to but none the less i took it to work and put it back in the office in the warehouse where its nice and cool, probably somewhere around 12-15C with out my gpu in its now nice and quiet, the fan I put in the cooler is virtually silent as it doesnt make much difference if I unplug that or not, I can still here the psu fan however but its nothing like it was at home where the ambient temp must have been around 20C or more so all I can think is when ambient temp creeps up its the cause of the noise, i didnt even put any load on the system at all but the cpu was idling mid 50's which is no good, today in the warehouse office its 37C (case off)

Associate
OP
Ok update, got totally fed up and have asked for an RMA which as yet hasnt been accepted or replied to but none the less i took it to work and put it back in the office in the warehouse where its nice and cool, probably somewhere around 12-15C with out my gpu in its now nice and quiet, the fan I put in the cooler is virtually silent as it doesnt make much difference if I unplug that or not, I can still here the psu fan however but its nothing like it was at home where the ambient temp must have been around 20C or more so all I can think is when ambient temp creeps up its the cause of the noise, i didnt even put any load on the system at all but the cpu was idling mid 50's which is no good, today in the warehouse office its 37C (case off)

Well there is definitly something not right, probably a poor fan in the PSU as mine is used all the time in the home at 20+ ambient. I tried it again with the CPU fan un plugged and using internal graphics and could not really hear the PSU fan at all even under load.

Soldato
i tried a single 4gb stock of xms3 1600mhz ram today (1.5v stuff) and it again was only picked up as 1333 :(

Installed windows on a spare 2.5" hdd I had lying around and couldnt get it to behave like it did at home last night im a little deflated about the whole thing tbh as I really like the size and compactness of it just want it quiet too.

Two requests for RMA now and no response, ill have to give them a call tomorrow :(

Associate
Right then, I assembled mine yesterday afternoon. :)

It is whisper quiet, the specs are i5 2500K, 5850 Extreme, 8gb Samsung Ram and 2x1tb WD Blacks in Raid 1 (Mirroring).

I shall replace the current DVDR witha Blueray writer and need to get a laptop wifi card to connect with the printer which is in the back bedroom.

I shall download some testing tools tonight and give it a stress test to compare temps with Simon's machine.

On a side note the SATA leads are neater than the P2 series, but the front panel leads are a little awkwardly placed so some zip ties shall be used to tidy it up.

Back
Top Bottom