Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
OP
hasbean isn't bad for buying new beans and they will grind also, just buy the minimum amount and drink lots of the stuff :) alternatively try and find someone locally who sells and grinds for you, they tend to frequent markets etc.

Whittards is annother options but i really didn't rate the coffee i tried from there, very very stale :(

Associate
Nice guide due, I'll print it out and take it to the guy who works at the sandwich shop across the university, where I buy my coffee from when I'm in the library. Keep telling him his shots are weak and he says I don't know what I'm talking about! :p
To the experts: what's the cheapest grinder/coffee maker I could get away with? At the moment I'm using a small cafetiere and ground coffee from Sainsbury's, and I'd like to see an improvement.:)
Stove-top, hand-held Zassenhaus grinder. I bought a used one dating from the 1930s, £17 inc. delivery, works perfectly, not a speck of rust in the mechanism, grinds much better than the crappy £26 burr grinder I used to have.
I ended purchasing a Morphy Richards espresso maker and frother (£27 down from about £70)
I don't like those, I think a stove-top makes much better coffee. There's a big debate about whether stove-tops count as "proper" espresso - some of the more hardcore espresso geeks say it doesn't put enough pressure, but I think the proof is in the pudding and if the terrible gunk that the £30 espresso machines Argos and Boots sell (are these competitors?) is "proper" espresso I'd rather not have any until I can afford a decent £300 machine.
edit redux: is it wrong to want to buy a new lens just for taking photos of coffee??
Don't turn this into a photography thread! :D (I did mean to comment about the pictures though, they look very appetising!:p)

Soldato
Whittards is annother options but i really didn't rate the coffee i tried from there, very very stale :(

It can be, it depends how busy the store is and which bean it is. But generally, it's not much better than something like illy from a supermarketm - except you have more choice

I've ordered from thebeanshop before and been quite happy with the quility.

Permabanned
I don't like those, I think a stove-top makes much better coffee. There's a big debate about whether stove-tops count as "proper" espresso - some of the more hardcore espresso geeks say it doesn't put enough pressure, but I think the proof is in the pudding and if the terrible gunk that the £30 espresso machines Argos and Boots sell (are these competitors?) is "proper" espresso I'd rather not have any until I can afford a decent £300 machine.

!:p)

I use a Cafetiere on the whole, but I think this machine of mine is on a par with my GF's basic Gaggia, for £27 its worth it just for the steamer/frother.

Man of Honour
OP
It can be, it depends how busy the store is and which bean it is. But generally, it's not much better than something like illy from a supermarketm - except you have more choice

i'm sure if your lucky you can get some pretty decent stuff from there(assumeing they roasters are upto scratch) just its not relyable all in all :(

i'd say the stove top ones are espresso, just a different type in a way, its more of a perculator really. do like the sound of a 30s Zassenhaus though :) got to be fun to use...

Permabanned

I've ordered from thebeanshop before and been quite happy with the quility.

Ive tried Hasbean and whittards,my Whittards are ok (based in worcester), but Hasbean seem to have a 'fresher' aroma.

Soldato
i'm sure if your lucky you can get some pretty decent stuff from there(assumeing they roasters are upto scratch) just its not relyable all in all :(

i'd say the stove top ones are espresso, just a different type in a way, its more of a perculator really. do like the sound of a 30s Zassenhaus though :) got to be fun to use...

Exactly, some of their beans must be sat there for weeks+ on end before someone buys it or they chuck it.

On a different note, is there any particular reason the franchise places get it so wrong? I know a couple of places burn their beans to get a consistant flavour - as they buy the beans from various sources. But everytime I buy coffee from one of these places it always justs tastes rubbish!

Soldato
My mouth is watering here :(. I just want to go to work now and have an espresso lol. Used to hate them, but working with loads of Italians has changed my opinion on a good espresso, so tastey :D.

Man of Honour
OP
On a different note, is there any particular reason the franchise places get it so wrong? I know a couple of places burn their beans to get a consistant flavour - as they buy the beans from various sources. But everytime I buy coffee from one of these places it always justs tastes rubbish!

its mainly lack of training, high throughput and pressure and tight margins but you can also throw in the fact that 90% of people who drink their "coffee" don't give a monkies / know the difference. Theres one place i know that does a really good espresso in richmond thats surrounded by other coffee places, they do their fare share but the costa next door sees so much more custom even though they serve worse more expensive drinks.... wheres the motivation for them to step up their game there :(

Soldato

It always depends on which are the faster selling coffees, I have noticed what you have said (I work there) but always try and grab the NEWEST beans when they go into the caddies from the new stock.

Off out now to grab my free allowance from Whittards! Wahey! Same BMJ is not allowed in the allowance :(

Rich

Soldato
It always depends on which are the faster selling coffees, I have noticed what you have said (I work there) but always try and grab the NEWEST beans when they go into the caddies from the new stock.

Off out now to grab my free allowance from Whittards! Wahey! Same BMJ is not allowed in the allowance :(

Rich

huh, it looks like my local Whittards is your place? :p

Soldato
Chester Whittards - Opposite Zara and down from Starbucks?

If so that is me, hard to miss me though - I am the only bloke that works there but I have only just started - so be kind! :p

Rich

Thats the one, I don't go in there that often but have done in the past - I work around the corner near the main Post Office.

Back
Top Bottom